Meal prep?

Options
ladyj22
ladyj22 Posts: 146 Member
I really need to start meal prepping but I'm not sure how to get started and or what to make? Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend I will make a chart that lists the days Monday - Friday. I then write next to each day breakfast, lunch, snack - then I fill in what I'll eat on each day for each meal.

Example: Monday: breakfast, Ezekiel English muffin with almond butter (250 calories). Lunch, hummus wrap with veggies (400 cals). Snack: fruit/nuts (150 calories). Dinner I don't prep because I am home but I will spend an additional 400 cals during that meal.

My lunches I make Sunday and times it by 5 so it's ready to go. Same with the snack. Breakfast it's easy to make before I leave the house but knowing what I will make is half the battle.
  • ladyj22
    ladyj22 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Thank you so much!
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to start by prepping one meal and adding more as you get used to meal prep. I started with just lunch and I now prep out lunch and breakfast. I'm adding post workout snacks next week. Here is what I have done this week:
    -Peanut butter and banana refrigerator oats (4 servings)
    -Kale breakfast frittata (4 servings)
    -Curry chicken salad (4 servings)
    -Thai chicken salad (4 servings)
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Don't fruits and veggies lose some of their nutrients when cut up though? Obviously that only matters if you're interested in getting nutrients from them.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Don't fruits and veggies lose some of their nutrients when cut up though? Obviously that only matters if you're interested in getting nutrients from them.
    Not right away. When stored properly, cut fruits and veggies retain their nutritional value for 5-6 days.
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I meal plan one day a week and usually only for dinner since that's the toughest for me. I have a daily planner that I write down the meals in, and then I spend an afternoon reading through the recipes and seeing what "prep work" needs to be done, like cutting up veggies and meat and then having all that annoying little stuff done so when I get home I can just cook. Then I plug the ingredients into MFP. I usually make enough to eat leftovers for lunch. Breakfast is a smoothie so I just throw that together in the morning.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My casserole dish, crock pot, and freezer are my favorite meal planning aids!

I started by making two big entrees one weekend-- a big crock pot of veggie chili and a no-noodle lasagna casserole made with thin planks of zucchini.

I then pre-portioned and froze them in individual servings (I cut the casserole and froze the pieces on a silicone baking sheet, and portioned the chili using a silicon muffin pan so the resulting "chili pucks" would pop right out.) After freezing, I bagged them in freezer bags.

I pretty much alternate between two breakfasts (break-free veggie omelet OR 5-grain hot cereal & fruit); and with two ready-to-go main courses in the freezer, planning lunches and dinners around them was easy.

I'm now in the habit of making and freezing one big crock or casserole almost every weekend. I've built up enough variety that at any time I've got 4 - 8 ready-made pre-portioned entree options in the freezer at any one time. Makes meal planning super easy!
  • eminemsbrotherskittles
    eminemsbrotherskittles Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My casserole dish, crock pot, and freezer are my favorite meal planning aids!

I started by making two big entrees one weekend-- a big crock pot of veggie chili and a no-noodle lasagna casserole made with thin planks of zucchini.

I then pre-portioned and froze them in individual servings (I cut the casserole and froze the pieces on a silicone baking sheet, and portioned the chili using a silicon muffin pan so the resulting "chili pucks" would pop right out.) After freezing, I bagged them in freezer bags.

I pretty much alternate between two breakfasts (break-free veggie omelet OR 5-grain hot cereal & fruit); and with two ready-to-go main courses in the freezer, planning lunches and dinners around them was easy.

I'm now in the habit of making and freezing one big crock or casserole almost every weekend. I've built up enough variety that at any time I've got 4 - 8 ready-made pre-portioned entree options in the freezer at any one time. Makes meal planning super easy!

Zucchini Lasagna sounds awesome!! Recipe?
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Meal prep begins with tupperware. Lots of tupperware.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Check out Skinnytaste.com for healthy simple recipes. Purchase a food scale and numerous small containers. Prep food on the weekend and portion out for the week. It is simple and easy.