Garmin calories burned question?

Options
Sorry if this has been posted before, I did a search and couldn't find anything! I have a Garmin vivofit that my hubby just bought me for Mother's Day. I'm confused about how it gets the number for how many calories I'm burning. It seems lower than I'd expect. For some background, I'm in maintenance now and using the TDEE method. I've been eating about 1700-1800 calories a day and seem to be still losing about a half pound a week. So I am surprised to see that my Garmin is giving me such a low number of calories burned. But maybe I am not understanding correctly?? Here's today as an example. I got just over 10,000 steps today and did just a short workout with my hrm on. So does the 1613 mean that's how many calories I should eat to maintain? It seems so low considering I eat more than that and lose. I know it's just a guess but still is confusing me. 9houlo6qtafg.png

Replies

• Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Garmin too, and I can't really figure it out either. Can't wait to read responses.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Also have a vivofit but no hrm. Think the active calories from steps is about right for me as its similar to what I earned for walking round the village twice (approx 11000 steps). However as it doesn't notice certain exercises where I'm not "stepping" I log them manually.
    So spin, swimming, cycling I log , however classes like Aqua where im walking in the pool I don't log.
    However if I do a High intensity class like Grit or circuits, I may log the class and then just ignore the garmin adjustment, as I suspect I burn more than the step calories, in those classes but it depends on how my food log is going that day.