Binging --- my nemesis

Options
So I am not sure which section this should go in, but I chose "motivation and support" because that is what I need.

Has anyone actually been able to stop binging??

I have binged on food since I can remember. I was that child who would sneak food into my food and eat all that I could. I still binge, I have gotten better, but the problem is still there.

I am a night binger, I can eat great all day, and then BAM 9 o'clock comes around and I want everything, even if it is "healthy".

I will eat so much that I will feel full into late into the afternoon the next day.

DOES THIS CYCLE EVER STOP!!

Once I start, it is like well *kitten* it, I already ate 5 oreos... I might as well eat 10 (that was my choice of food last night). A couple weeks ago, I ate an ENTIRE PACKAGE OF OREOS (among other foods) within in two nights. WTF. I live with my fiance, but I was dog sitting so there was no one to watch me do that, so I went way over board with the food.

The last like 7 years have been a learning experience for me, I lost like 50 pounds senior year of HS. I have mostly kept off the weight, but never really been able to achieve the weight loss goals that I would like. I generally eat pretty healthy now, but I still binge occasionally. It makes me feel like utter crap, physically and mentally.

Obviously the physical pain of being so full. Mentally, I beat myself up and tell myself how stupid it was to binge and how crappy I am for not having the self control.

In college when I binged, I wouldn't eat until dinner the next day, and would wear a belly-burner belt, and I would also work out at least once (sometimes twice if I could fit it in). But adult life doesn't allow for that because it really effects (affects?) my energy, so I feel more crappy because then I am like "wow, you are weak for eating" which I know is a SUPER unhealthy mind set.

I don't ever purge, I literally can't make myself. Which is probably a good thing...

grrr. I am so upset with myself.

I would love to hear your stories on how you have over come the cycle of binge eating.

HOW DID YOU DO IT? HOW IS IT POSSIBLE? WHY DO INANIMATE OBJECTS HAVE SUCH CONTROL OVER ME?

Replies

• kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    kitten it... hahahaha .. i mean eff it
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    OMG do I understand. I'm actually scheduled to meet w a nutritionist tomorrow for support w this. I have a long history of eating disorders- every one of them. I can't wait to learn to live w food without bingeing. I'm sending you a Freind request. I'll report back what nutritionist says! And btw- had the s'mores Oreos today- many!!!!!!!
  • sg95718
    sg95718 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I normally get hooked on 1 thing at a time. I eat extreme amts of it (basically at night) and after a few months the thought of that food turns me off but another will take its place. Most times it's things I have never craved b4.
    I don't know how 2 stop bc it satisfies the "craving"--thus the word I suppose. I need 2 lock it up bc if I can get 2 it and the clock strikes 00:00hrs, it's on......
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am also a binge eater, I try not to have any convenience foods in ie things that are easy to eat, I think if you have to prepare things or cook them, then you are more likely not to bother. I am lucky son and family live next door, so when I do buy treats I give them to the, with strict instructions to only allow ,e one a day. Last week they went away for the weekend and i went in got ,y big bag of kit kat and ate the lot ? Good luck, I think it's a bit like being an alcoholic, you can never just have 1.
  • schellies
    schellies Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This sounds exactly like me! Now I just try to workout to offset it. I put my binges in here, and if I'm over try and work it off or do something to at least make it better. It's not the right answer, but it's helping.
  • wolfgirl78
    wolfgirl78 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As a binger I don't believe it ever stops. You can go into recovery for a period a time, but are always prone to relapses. Just my opinion
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I, too, binge eat. It's been a while since my last "true" out of control binge. Perhaps in a way I have managed to reduce the severity of eat incident, but it's still a problem. I log it, I think about it a lot now, and always try to figure out why it happened. I could type about it all day I'm sure, but it's a daily battle. Current strategy is to not be alone at home, so if my husband moves to the bedroom to play a video game I go with him. On nights I don't I eat a granola bar or two plus who knows how many servings of PB on a spoon. I'm sure it's at minimum 3 servings, perhaps more. By morning I'm disgusted. But for some reason that isn't enough to stop me.

One day at a time, my strategy tonight is to actually clean the kitchen after dinner to signal that meals are over, then go to bed. Maybe I won't sleep but I at least need to be in my room. I can draw, build with my very adult set of Legos, paint, or read one of several library books I checked out. If I can do one day maybe I can have hope for two! But even if I stop at one granola bar I'm calling it a binge because it's the same mindless eating I do when I go all out. I'm always full, I never need anything at that time of day. It's ridiculous and I hate it, but I'm always working on being better and even one small step in the right direction is progress :)