Desperately seeking advice re purchasing a treadmill....

ydyms
ydyms Posts: 266 Member
Choice 1- get a treadmill from Costco. If I have a problem, I need to disassemble the WHOLE thing and return, which I will obviously think 5 times before I do. What if there's a small issue? Will the manufacturer come over and stand by the warranty?
Choice 2- purchase a treadmill from a major company such as Nordictrack or Proform. If I have an issue, the company will stand by for the first few years but it's not guaranteed for more than that.
I use it mainly for running and would like to spend about $1,200.
One more issue- all companies offer free curbside delivery, $99 in the house, about $170 to room of chioice and about $240 assembly. To what extent is it worth the extra expense?
Thanks!
Eta- running outside is not an option

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited May 2016
    you're not more or less likely to need to disassemble the entire thing if you purchase from a large company. read the one star amazon reviews of those larger companies' treadmills. you might as well just buy from a reputable company for the lowest price you can find the one you like. i bought our exercise bike from amazon, our FID bench from sports authority.

after the 30 day return period - or whatever return period the retailer offers - any problems will be between you and the manufacturer, so however they handle it is how it will be handled regardless of where you buy. although if you get a square trade warranty after a year they'll do in home servicing. oh, sears might do in home if you buy an extended warranty, too, but perhaps not till the manufacturer's warranty has ended.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Also, buy one with a 2.5 chp motor at a MINIMUM.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Expensive coat rack. Outside is cheaper.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,464 Member
    I bought mine on craigslist I went and looked at it and got it at a fraction of the cost as they had to get rid of the training room for a baby. Yes I had to haul it and It's a vision fitness It weighs a zillion pounds but for 200. it was worth it and my family loves me. I should have bought the weights too at the time Oh well. I didn't want my family to abandon me when I mentioned I wanted the weights after it took 4 large men to haul the treadmill. LOL
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Treadmills are basically only about 4 components that you put together - you aren't building the motor from scratch. The bottom portion is super heavy (mine is like 250lbs) and awkward so you definitely need help getting it where you want it....I always negotiate any delivery fees. I agree with the minimum motor size and make sure it has at least 15 incline and allows you to make up your own programs. Costco is AWESOME for all returns so I wouldn't worry about ever buying anything from them. I would try and google videos of the ones you are looking at...noise is a huge factor for me...so I wouldn't want one that is loud...especially if you are running.
  • ydyms
    Thanks all for your suggestions! My main concern about Costco is will they FIX it if there's a problem at first. I'm not disassembling it too quickly!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,871 Member
    It's up to you of course. But why not run outside? It's cheaper, it's less dull than staring at all wall and not getting anywhere, and it's generally more difficult due to differences in weather, wind, elevation and all those things.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Very few (if any) manufacturers offer in-home service, that's usually part of the extended warranty the fitness stores want to sell you.

Costco will refund your money for defective product during the return period but I don't think they fix anything but, in that respect, they're no different than any other retailer with the exception of some specialty sporting goods stores that may have a service department.

Personally I wouldn't pay extra for assembly, as previously mentioned with a TM you have a small number of larger assemblies to put together. It can be done with pretty basic tools.

Just out of curiosity, why is running outside not an option?
  • ydyms
    Very few (if any) manufacturers offer in-home service, that's usually part of the extended warranty the fitness stores want to sell you.

Costco will refund your money for defective product during the return period but I don't think they fix anything but, in that respect, they're no different than any other retailer with the exception of some specialty sporting goods stores that may have a service department.

Personally I wouldn't pay extra for assembly, as previously mentioned with a TM you have a small number of larger assemblies to put together. It can be done with pretty basic tools.

Just out of curiosity, why is running outside not an option?

I have 1 year old twins, and both me and my husband work full time. I need to run on my own schedule... He's out really early in the morning.
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    There's a website called treadmill doctor,they review treadmills,sell parts to repair treadmills. They are very knowledgable.read their reviews and follow their advice. I use my treadmill religiously,yes we had it replaced twice under warranty.I am an older woman,I like that I can walk in any weather safely, anytime,any clothes ect. Crank the incline up if you want! Best investment we ever brought, just use it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    We got ours from a fitness store. They brought it. They assembled it. When we had an issue, they came over and fixed it. You don't have that option near you?