• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • kokomo61
    kokomo61 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Had someone ask me about what worked....so I copied this from another post:

I had read so much about exercise/diet/etc that I don't know if I learned anything new that helped....but what DID help was realizing three basic rules:

1) It's what you eat.
    2) It's what you eat.
    3) It's what you eat.

BTW, did I mention that it's what you eat?

I had fallen down many times previously, because I just couldn't stop stress/anxiety eating, or I'd eat in situations that made it harder to manage my intake. When I finally recognized that I was eating for stress, and started disconnecting the two, it made things a LOT easier.

Here's what worked:

1) Tracking all food via MFP.
    2) Drinking plenty of water.
    3) Using a Fitbit, a Fitbit Aria scale, and Digifit to track all exercise and weight.
    4) Weighing myself daily - that gave me lots of data to see what my trend was.Daily variations mattered less than overall direction.

Once I had lost 25 lbs, I started making things more public - I changed my Facebook profile photo to match the # of lbs I had lost (e.g., road signs, football jersey numbers, visual 'puns' like the '33' on a Rolling Rock label, a .44 magnum, a 45 RPM record, etc.

Once I got to 'milestone' numbers (40 lbs, 50lbs, 60, etc.), I would change my cover photo to how many lbs I had to go. Once I got into single digits with lbs left to go, I started posting videos from "Schoolhouse Rock" as my status. That got lots of other people cheering me on - because they got to 'guess' what the new status meant. I only told a select few people what I was doing, because I knew they'd be supportive. Same with the photos - I shared them only with people I knew would be able to help and cheer me on. I never told anyone I was on a 'diet', because I'm not.

Other things that helped:

Eating in a pattern - once I was confident my calories / nutrition were in line, I only had < 10 different 'meals' during the week. Lots of greens/salads, but also protein with every meal. It made planning a lot easier....and I was confident I was getting enough nutrients.

I kept almost all meals under 500 calories (with the exception of a Chipotle Burrito Bowl, which was 610 calories as a Friday night splurge).

I ate 4-5 times every day. Never more than 4 hours apart.

Target calories were 1800 a day. If I went over, I didn't get upset - I just adjusted over the next few days. Same thing with weight - I looked at the trend, not the individual #.

Don't drink calories. No juices, protein drinks, shakes, etc. If I was going to get calories, I wanted the satisfaction of eating something real.

Eat real food. Don't eat diet stuff. I tried NutriSystem and immediately gained 5 lbs. Ended up selling the entire 35-day box to get it out of the house.

Choose a motivating reward. I had to buy a whole new wardrobe, which cost a bit o'money, but with shopping aggressively, I kept the cost manageable....and I have some NICE suits now. It's good to feel and look better, but also good to dress up well and look good doing so. Here's a pic in one of the new suits:

9234707353_3d757fc1f8_o.png
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!! Only 1800? I'm a bit surprised you eat so low. I eat that I am 5'2" and a 45 yr old female. Way to go, wayt o stick with it!!! I'm only pounds away from my goal and feel I will never get there, bit that's okay too. I'm weight training to tone up and am very pleased at my progress!!! Congrats to you!!!
  • SKAVY7178
    SKAVY7178 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! amazing !!!! you ARE looking great ! Well done !
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! You look amazing!! Thanks for sharing!
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Wow! Don't know if you're a hockey fan or soccer. Totally agree....you look great! Thanks for posting the extras. Did you eat your exercise calories? Did you do BMR/TDEE or MFP?
  • tiffanyraylene
    tiffanyraylene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    WONDERFUL JOB!!! :D
    You should be very proud!
  • kokomo61
    Options
    1800 was a rough goal - I knew that I'd probably underestimate some things, in case I was off by 10% or so. According to MFP, and Fitbit, it was the target for a 2lb per week loss. I had fairly high activity, so I averaged about 2.5 per week. As I figure out maintenance, I'm upping by 200 per day for a week or so, to see how it evens out.

If I'm hungry, though, I eat - I'm just trying to make that food a positive choice instead of something I know I'll regret later.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Well Done!! You look great!
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    WhoopWhoop!! Way to go!!!
  • dzlynn
    dzlynn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Keep up the hard work.
  • playgun
    playgun Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Lookin great man! I know how hard you worked to get there! Be proud of your accomplishment!
  • kokomo61
    Options
    Wow! Don't know if you're a hockey fan or soccer. Totally agree....you look great! Thanks for posting the extras. Did you eat your exercise calories? Did you do BMR/TDEE or MFP?

I used MFP as my main guide for planning eating.

Having had difficulty before, I came up with another saying -

"You can out-eat any exercise program."

I should know - In 2008, I was training for a century ride (100+ mile bike ride) - this was one of the toughest in the country, so I was training a LOT. Around 200+ miles every week. I didn't cut back my food intake....and gained 20 lbs over 6 months while training. Made it a lot harder to climb the mountains. Reducing calorie intake (and knowing just how much I was eating) to a -2lb deficit per week made it actually work.

If the hockey/soccer fan is about my screen name...it's actually for one of my other hobbies - I have 3 Taylor guitars (along with a Fender Strat and Telecaster, a Gibson ES-335 and a Rick Turner Renaissance-N).
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Well done!
  • zombinaape
    zombinaape Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Righteous job, sir! Hard work pay off! Congratulations on meeting your goal!
  • tinamarie014069
    Options
    awesome!!! what an accomplishment!!!
  • rjoset
    rjoset Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wow! I want to be like you. I am just getting started on the program. For my health sake I REALLY need to loose weight. Appreciate everyone's tips and encouragement!

thanks

rjoset
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    That pic of you in your suit is damn fine! You should be really proud of yourself, you look wonderful and I like your tips about hoe to get there.
  • lcantrell65
    lcantrell65 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the way you lined up your photos. I think I am going to steal that idea. You look great. Congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!