Weight Loss Journey Day 1.. Best Exercise Ideas??

Options
Ok so I start today on my journey to lose this weight once and for all. I have been overweight almost all my life. Need to start out slow any advice would help as to what I should start out with as far as exercises.. Thanks ;)

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    There is no such animal as "best exercises". Exercise depends on your goal, capacity, equipment and desire. The best exercise is the one you do, regularly. Have fun with it!

Personally I love running, cycling, climbing. What do you like to do?
  • VBattle0105
    VBattle0105 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Walking, Dancing, and weights. I guess that's true I'll just get up and just do it. Thanks for the motivation ;)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Those are great exercises - and a good mix! Good luck!

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I prefer "weight loss voyage". It's like we're sailing thru a sea of fat to find our true lean selves!
  • niciabrighteyes
    niciabrighteyes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Make sure you combine Cardio w/ strength training. Just Cardio can burn muscle. Strength training will help you burn calories while in rest too. Plus it'll help lean you out. Biggest factor is your intake, you can't outwork a bad diet.
  • cesser1
    cesser1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the first step. I have a progressive plan. The fitter I get, the more intense the exercise can get. I love thinking about it as my journey towards being a sporty person rather than just as a tool to lose weight. Your favourite exercise are all great. You'll do well with them. Good luck!
  • VBattle0105
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone I know it's going to be a long road but at this point I'm definitely willing to travel.. B)
  • VBattle0105
    Options
    Or sail...lol
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you are reducing calories by quite a lot compared to what you are used to it might be worth getting used to that before you introduce exercise. Two big changes at once are harder to stick with I think. Exercise may make you feel hungrier on your already reduced calories and may make you retain water making it look like you've gained weight on your diet. There's no need to rush into it. You could spend a couple of weeks focusing on diet alone and then start doing extra exercise and build up gently.
    Good luck, it's n exciting journey X
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I like to walk in circles around my spacious living room for exercise. Takes the social dimension out of walking in the neighborhood.
  • redmaryclare
    redmaryclare Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think focussing on reducing cals is a good way to start. I started swimming a lot and go so hungry I found cal deficit difficult so put on weight. This time I have focussed on cals and building up my walking. Now doing 30 miles a week and been able to stick to low cals.
  • Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Actually exercise. Don't half *kitten* it as I see some people do in my gym. They do the minimal amount possible and then wonder why they have no lost any weight. Other than that.....

1. Make a Workout Plan. This will help you know what to do when and how. Yesterday I went bouldering for 1.5 hours, today I am back in the office and will be doing this in the office gym at lunchtime:

Wednesday - Chest, Back, Shoulders
    12, 10, 8, 4 - Flat Barbell Chest Press 50/60/70/80kg - 12, 10, 8, 4
    12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 1 - Underhand Lat Pulldowns 90/100/110/120/130/140/150/160 lb
    4 x 10 Barbell Bent Over Rows 70kg
    4 x 10 Lateral DB Raises 10kg
    4 x 10 Seated Shoulder Shrugs 25kg
    4 x 10 Hanging Knee Raises

Tomorrow will be a cardio day:

Thursday - Running
    3 Mile Run ( 10 minute mile pace)
    2 x minutes Skipping

2. Find food/recipes that work for you. Sure you need to cut fatty and sugary food but that doesn't mean you have to live salad. Steak and a healthy side dish will fill you up more and make you feel happier.

3. Be honest tracking your calories in the app. Add every sachet of sugar and drop of milk in your tea and coffee. Don't forget to add the sauce you put on your meal too.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    yoga any level any style, hot or room temp. find what you like it ads strength and tones and you get cardio if you do high level classes. all are good for digestion, stress, and a sense of community. non-judgemental attitude. almost all places have newcomer specials, 10 for $10 or 5 for $5 or week for $21. google outdoor free yoga in what ever area you are. it is everywhere and can be done anywhere. i do hot vinyasa yoga daily. have for years. i could not go w/out it. changed my life. vinyasa just means breath, movement with the breath, my personal fav. there are gentle, or newcomer, or any level classes. just do it. your body will thank you, you weight loss will thank you and you will be happy and gain a sense of peace....at least that has been my experience and those i practice with. you don't have to be athletic is the best part. just enjoy!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, those who go to a gym who have never been are intimidated and insecure. don't know what or how to use the machines and equipment. yoga requires only a mat and yourself. you will get muscles but more of a toned lean look. do what you love, love what you do. then it won't be such a chore to do it! jmo
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    The best exercise advice I can give is that you can't out exercise a poor diet.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to find something that works for you. If you can find a type of exercise that you truly enjoy and that makes time fly then actually doing it regularly will be an enjoyment and not a chore. There's so much out there there's bound to be something that you will love.

Personally I love to Zumba (I do it for the now enjoyment and the Calorie burn is nice too). I also weightlift (although I do really enjoy it I do it for the long term benefits of inscreasing muscle mass and bone mass for the future). Some people run, bike, pole dance, skate, ski, crossfit. If you get a bunch of friends on here you will see the diversity of activities that are possible. There is no wrong or right.

Do log your food intake for a couple of weeks (get a food scale). This will help you be mindful of how many Calories you consume in a day and of portion size.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    lc355 wrote: »
    If you are reducing calories by quite a lot compared to what you are used to it might be worth getting used to that before you introduce exercise. Two big changes at once are harder to stick with I think. Exercise may make you feel hungrier on your already reduced calories and may make you retain water making it look like you've gained weight on your diet. There's no need to rush into it. You could spend a couple of weeks focusing on diet alone and then start doing extra exercise and build up gently.
    Good luck, it's n exciting journey X

I agree with this! It's great that you are motivated to get going, but don't do too much at once or you might be overwhelmed, which makes it so much easier to quit.

Personally, I focused on my calorie intake for four weeks before beginning any kind of exercise. It made it easier for me to stick to my calorie goal once I started exercising.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing to do is just start walking, and power walking anywhere you can. If you have excuses preventing you from walking down the street, there are walking youtube videos that you can follow between 15 mins to an hour. Then after you have that and are building up consistency with yourself just try everything and anything that sounds good to you. I'm still jumping into movement & exercise classes that I have no experience with. Last year I tried yoga, spin, and recently I've started dancing and doing barre. I've just tried the stairmaster to mix up my elliptical workouts. I'm going to buy a pair of water shoes and join in an aqua aerobics class. Try a little bit of everything and keep going back to the stuff that you love. If it's something really mellow and you feel it's not a huge calorie burn, then don't adjust your diet too high to compensate for a large energy expenditure.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ok for indoors. I use Leslie Sansone walking DVD's. She also has some newer ones out called "Burn Body Fat" using hand weights. Love them. They are free on You Tube. They range from 1 to 3 miles. When I go outdoors I do a long walk usually 3-4 miles 15 min/mile.
  • Xxlune
    Xxlune Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had this question myself not too long ago. Honestly I couldn't think of a single sport I would enjoy doing, so basically I picked whatever they offered at my gym which seemed the 'least amount of suck' to me. That worked!

I am now doing 4 hours of Wushu every week. I didn't even know what that was a month ago.

Also, I started running! I enjoy both a LOT. MUCH more than I had ever thought I would.

And if you don't like whatever you picked, just.. do something else :)