Shoulder pain while running

Options
mbanks123
mbanks123 Posts: 117 Member
I've only just started running again 1-2 miles a day but the last couple days I've been getting a pain under my shoulder blade after running about half a mile. I've never had this before.
I can feel it hurts because of the way I sit at my desk too which I've now stopped doing. Is it an injury? Should I take a break or do I need to strengthen my shoulder and if so what exercises can I do? Will the rowing machine help?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you tensing your upper body when you run?
  • mbanks123
    Options
    Probably? I know that I tense my stomach. It's not really something I've noticed but I'm running no different to how I used to and I've never had this before
  • liams987
    liams987 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    mbanks123 wrote: »
    I've only just started running again 1-2 miles a day but the last couple days I've been getting a pain under my shoulder blade after running about half a mile. I've never had this before.
    I can feel it hurts because of the way I sit at my desk too which I've now stopped doing. Is it an injury? Should I take a break or do I need to strengthen my shoulder and if so what exercises can I do? Will the rowing machine help?

Id say its your posture as the way you describe sitting at a desk. The best way to fix/strengthen your posture is definitely desdlifts. Doing corrective deadlifts can fix almost any muscle imbalances. Make sure your form is perfect and dont go too heavy. Also streching will help. Stretch your chest and biceps on both arms to release tension on your back. Goodluck!
  • megan_h26
    megan_h26 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Do you do a little warm-up before running?
  • mbanks123
    Options
    I've now changed how I sit at work so I'm sitting straight and not to a side. I've not gone for a run today to give myself a break but someone at work said to lower my arms as in running with them tensed which I will try tomorrow.

I don't normally stretch no but I have been stretching my arms the last couple days to try and get rid of this but it's not helped. Fingers crossed that all of it together makes a difference because it's very frustrating getting up so early to run and not being able to! Haha
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've now changed how I sit at work so I'm sitting straight and not to a side. I've not gone for a run today to give myself a break but someone at work said to lower my arms as in running with them tensed which I will try tomorrow.

I don't normally stretch no but I have been stretching my arms the last couple days to try and get rid of this but it's not helped. Fingers crossed that all of it together makes a difference because it's very frustrating getting up so early to run and not being able to! Haha

You shouldn't be tensing anything while you run.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Do you carry anything while you run? I used to use one of those handheld water-bottles for my longer runs, but found gripping that made my arm and shoulder hurt.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Loosen up.

I know I'll subconsciously scrunch my shoulders and have to pay attention, or else my collarbone muscles get sore.
  • LaMartian
    LaMartian Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My shoulders hurt, especially the left, when I lift because it's unstable (loose tendons). I find that using a 2.5lb or 5lb plate held out in my hand and doing arm circles of all kinds - big, small, forward, backward, to the side, to the front - to pump up all the shoulder muscles REALLY helps. It locks the ball into the joint.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    This sounds weird, but it works: While running, lightly hold your thumb to your index finger or middle finger. It helps your shoulders relax.
  • mbanks123
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you suggestions. It appears to have gone. I gave it a few days to get better and have since done my best not to tense.

Llorpb I've only just seen your comment. Definitely going to try it :)