Low Or High Reps When Cutting?

Options
liams987
liams987 Posts: 23 Member
Hi, have never done a cut, been bulking for a while but have always been curious whether to do high reps for muscle gain, or low reps (to keep as much strength as possible while cutting?

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Keep doing whatever program you've been doing and enjoy as programmed. If recovery for "next" workout starts to suffer due to being in a caloric deficit, then look at reducing sets to aid in recovery. Hopefully your program provides you with a good mix of intensities and rep ranges over time whether that is undulating weekly or over several meso-cycles in a block.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Keep your weights, reps and sets generally the same. Reducing overall volume can be helpful if you notice energy levels dip. But keep the weights heavy and the reps on the lowish (6-8) side for the most part.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I echo what's already been said. Really, the only thing you should do is lower expectations. You're not going to make as big of gains (or any at all) in a deficit compared to maintenance or surplus.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    y not both? Lyle McDonald's general recommendation is that volume and frequency should be the first thing to reduce if you are struggling.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html/
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    y not both? Lyle McDonald's general recommendation is that volume and frequency should be the first thing to reduce if you are struggling.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html/

This. Keep the weights heavy but cut volume/frequency as needed. It has worked fantastically for me.
  • liams987
    Options
    Well its good to know the overall opinion that i can keep doing mt heavy sets whilst hypertrophy training. Just need to remember to lower the volume eventually. Thanks guys!
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    it's more about heart rate. So whatever you need to do to keep it elevated is what's gonna work best for you.

In theory though if you are keeping your heart rate higher and rest intervals shorter, you will have to back the weight off and will eventually be limited to volume over strength
  • LaMartian
    LaMartian Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Not really. Elevated heart rate might make you burn more calories, sure, but that's the part that matters - the calories. Burn more than eat = weight loss. So either add more calorie-burning activities or eat less food.
  • J72FIT
    edited May 2016
    Options
    But the op is in a cut. So the calories are already addressed.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    it's more about heart rate. So whatever you need to do to keep it elevated is what's gonna work best for you.

In theory though if you are keeping your heart rate higher and rest intervals shorter, you will have to back the weight off and will eventually be limited to volume over strength

Ummmm, no.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You won't keep your strength in a cut, unless you're extremely obese (which you're obviously not), or if you're using some pharmaceuticals. Granted I'm not in the shape I used to be in, but last time I did a cut, I kept my workout the same and added extra low impact cardio (20-30 minutes on treadmill or stepper) with a slight calorie reduction.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    You won't keep your strength in a cut, unless you're extremely obese (which you're obviously not), or if you're using some pharmaceuticals. Granted I'm not in the shape I used to be in, but last time I did a cut, I kept my workout the same and added extra low impact cardio (20-30 minutes on treadmill or stepper) with a slight calorie reduction.

You will keep your strength. The key is to reduce volume and frequency...
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

You will keep your strength. The key is to reduce volume and frequency...

Well shoot, I did something wrong last time lol.
  • DopeItUp
    edited May 2016
    Options

A reasonable deficit combined with keeping intensity high will go a long way to retaining strength in a cut. I cut 40lbs last year without losing a pound off of my total. I'm sure if you're a monster with a 1500+ total, or someone really lean, something may have to give in a cut but for 95% of lifters it's not a real problem.
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    Several years ago, I cut from 25% bf to about sub 15% bf and lost 10-15lbs off my main lifts. Now that was in 2 months, so maybe I cut too quickly and lost strength.
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Ummmm, no.
    I misread the OP, but thanks for the abrasiveness. I'll save what abrasiveness I can offer pertaining to your advice.

• liams987
    Options

I understand i will lose strength. Im think of doing a cut to about 8% bf over 20 weeks later this year, but hopefully keeping most of my strength.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting right now and my strength has been continually increasing. I don't focus on a paticular set and rep range. I may do 4 sets of 10 reps for a month, then 5 sets of 5 reps the following month. The programs I work were written by my trainer. When not on one of his programs, I make my own routines. It works for me.