Was this a bad binge? Help?

So I have a tendency to binge sometimes... I've always had a little trouble controlling myself around food sometimes. Today I said no to a big slice of fatty, packaged apple pie.... then I came home and made myself a mini apple pie with a whole apple, cinnamon, wheat germ and a little honey.... which started my second binge of the day.

The first one was handfuls of blueberries and strawberries with honey followed by a few spoonfuls of almond butter and honey...

the second one was very similar, fruits and spoonfuls of honey and almond butter. Totaled about 300 cals over my usual daily limit, which is around 1200 :(

Feel like crap and like a failure. Be honest, how bad was this binge?

EDIT: Thanks, and for reference, I'm 4"11, so my calories can be a little lower than most

Replies

• not bad.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 638 Member
    Ok, so binge can be loosely defined as anything that is in excess of what you normally eat and eating more servings that the normal person (or you) would eat in one sitting. Especially if driven by something OTHER than hunger.

I started by saying that because there are many people that might try to tell you that 1500 calories is hardly considered a binge. Which is true, however regardless you have defined it as a binge (most likely emotional).

Anyway.. as far as how "bad"? Not bad at all. That won't even be a blip in the radar as long as you continue with eating healthy the next day. 3 weeks ago I had a day where I went 1500 calories OVER what my normal daily intake is (yep- had a pasta fest). Like you I was concerned, however after about 3 days of normal eating and activity, my weight leveled out, all the bloat and water retention disappeared as expected, and I found I actually LOST .5 lbs.

Don't worry... move on. However consider addressing the root cause of your binging. :flowerforyou:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    It's not bad. 1500 calories isn't an outrageous amount and probably lower than your maintenance calories. You are not a failure.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,505 Member
    So, you had a total of about 1500 calories? You're going to need at least one more "binge" to catch up to me. If I don't get at least 1800 calories (on a rest day), I feel like crap. :flowerforyou:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    If you ate exactly what you ate today for the next month I can promise you that you will have lost weight and not gained nor maintained. 1500 is not much for a lady your age at all.
  • Zenjaeie
    Zenjaeie Posts: 95
    Ok, so binge can be loosely defined as anything that is in excess of what you normally eat and eating more servings that the normal person (or you) would eat in one sitting. Especially if driven by something OTHER than hunger.

I started by saying that because there are many people that might try to tell you that 1500 calories is hardly considered a binge. Which is true, however regardless you have defined it as a binge (most likely emotional).

Anyway.. as far as how "bad"? Not bad at all. That won't even be a blip in the radar as long as you continue with eating healthy the next day. 3 weeks ago I had a day where I went 1500 calories OVER what my normal daily intake is (yep- had a pasta fest). Like you I was concerned, however after about 3 days of normal eating and activity, my weight leveled out, all the bloat and water retention disappeared as expected, and I found I actually LOST .5 lbs.

Don't worry... move on. However consider addressing the root cause of your binging. :flowerforyou:

Thanks, I liked your reply :) and yeah, it wasn't a binge because I ate like 3000 calories or anything, just because I felt out of control and that was the worst part. Even though my stomach does feel SUPER full :( Hopefully tomorrow I'll remember how it felt to binge, and eat healthier (:
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Binges aren't necessarily quantifiable with calories as binge eating is more about control.

However what you are calling a binge is hardly one at all. I think a better understanding of your caloric needs would lead you to realize that you can really eat much more to maintain and even lose weight. "Binges" for people that drastically undereat consistently are common. Evaluate your BMR and TDEE, then set your calorie goal to somewhere between TDEE-10% to TDEE-20%, find an eating schedule that lets you adhere to calorie goal and I bet you will see these "binges" go away.
  • Do a little bit more of cardio maybe some high intensity interval training so you burn those extra calories and spike your metabolism...
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Do a little bit more of cardio maybe some high intensity interval training so you burn those extra calories and spike your metabolism...

No. Intense cardio and even LISS tend to make people develop an even more ravenous hunger post workout.

Not to mention you are promoting the idea that there needs to be some sort of compensatory behavior for her consuming calories that were from nutritionally well rounded sources and still within her TDEE.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    I agree with shutupandlift 100%. I am a binge eater and even though It is much better now,when it does happen I have been known to consume up to 3000 calories in about 15 minutes. Your binge was not bad at all. Just get back toyiur normal routine and try not to feel too guilty about it. Good luck!
  • deeanna4
    deeanna4 Posts: 2
    Rachel Lib: I too binge eat...I'm about your height I think and it seems like your progress is amazing. Kudos.

I am 32 though and I'm binge eating badly (a LOT more than 1500...I eat normal calories all day, no exercise due to a LOT of intense physical issues, and I never purge and am constipated...so food doesn't "get out")....and then at midnight like tonight...I'm talking multiple servings of fruit, entire tub of yogurt, entire jar of peanut butter, chocolate bar, etc...god guys...the guilt is SO intense and I DReAD the next day...its summer and should get up and enjoy the day but all I want to do is hide my constipated, bloated and unable-to-exercise body under the bed :(
    I just don't know how to "recover" when I can't do the things that people do to recover (exercise, poop, something!!!)