What do you say?

Options
kiffypooh
kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
Hello All,

So I just sat down after my daughters 3rd birthday party and I have a question. I got TONS of complements on how great I look and I never know what to say in return. I generally say thank you (sometimes I say, I know and giggle) , but I get a look like they expect more from me then just a thank you. Not that they expect me to share a secret. I guess it's more of a look of "wow, I just can't get over it" but it makes me feel a little uncomfortable and I'm just wondering what other people say. I thought it would be fun and interesting to see other people's takes on it.

Thank you!

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

So I just sat down after my daughters 3rd birthday party and I have a question. I got TONS of complements on how great I look and I never know what to say in return. I generally say thank you (sometimes I say, I know and giggle) , but I get a look like they expect more from me then just a thank you. Not that they expect me to share a secret. I guess it's more of a look of "wow, I just can't get over it" but it makes me feel a little uncomfortable and I'm just wondering what other people say. I thought it would be fun and interesting to see other people's takes on it.

Thank you!

I think a thank you is just fine. You can always add, it was hard work and dedication, but it really paid off. or you could say...I know..you're jealous..that's ok, cause I know i'm hot! lol..I like the second one better!! lol
  • kiffypooh
    Options
    Hello All,

Thank you!

I think a thank you is just fine. You can always add, it was hard work and dedication, but it really paid off. or you could say...I know..you're jealous..that's ok, cause I know i'm hot! lol..I like the second one better!! lol

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i've really been struggling with this too!
    it's amazing, in the last couple of weeks it must have just started to show and i've been getting a lot of comments/compliments (and especially this weekend when i went on a trip and saw lots of people i hadn't seen in almost 30 lbs).

when people phrase it as a question "wow, have you lost a lot of weight??" i often reply something along the lines of "working on it!"
    when people just compliment me i stick with thanks.

i'd love more responses!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,717 Member
    Options
    I usually say something along the lines of, "Thanks, I've been working on it since last summer, and I feel SO much better now!"
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I really do think people are waiting for a secret....I always get "What's your secret?" or "What have you been doing" I respond...."It's not not very exciting...I eat reight & exercise" then they give me a look that says "That's not what I wanted to hear" LOL

I just say "Thank You" or "Thanks, I'm trying" or "Thanks, I feel good"
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,717 Member
    Options
    I really do think people are waiting for a secret....I always get "What's your secret?" or "What have you been doing" I respond...."It's not not very exciting...I eat reight & exercise" then they give me a look that says "That's not what I wanted to hear" LOL

Isn't that funny? It's like people want you to tell them that somehow what they've been doing all along is going to magically start giving them different results from what they've been getting. If people ask how I've done it, I tell them about my Beachbody workouts, about what I've learned about eating from Kory, and about the tools on MFP that make it so simple. That's when their eyes glaze over because it all just sounds like too much work.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options

Isn't that funny? It's like people want you to tell them that somehow what they've been doing all along is going to magically start giving them different results from what they've been getting. If people ask how I've done it, I tell them about my Beachbody workouts, about what I've learned about eating from Kory, and about the tools on MFP that make it so simple. That's when their eyes glaze over because it all just sounds like too much work.
    I KNOW! It's like they want you to say I eat chocolate cake everyday and sit on a magic couch to lose weight!
  • kiffypooh
    Options
    i've really been struggling with this too!
    it's amazing, in the last couple of weeks it must have just started to show and i've been getting a lot of comments/compliments (and especially this weekend when i went on a trip and saw lots of people i hadn't seen in almost 30 lbs).

when people phrase it as a question "wow, have you lost a lot of weight??" i often reply something along the lines of "working on it!"
    when people just compliment me i stick with thanks.

i'd love more responses!

I have a shirt that when I wear it everyone says I look like I've lost weight. The party yesterday I had a new hair cut too, so everyone was looking at a new body and new hair. It was crazy. I'm always like, "I did get my hair cut" and they are like, "aw, no" and I'm like, "its the shirt" and they are like, "ah, no. You lost a bunch of weight." It just feels awkward, espically if I've seen them since the beginning of the year (I've lost 10 lbs this year so far, vs the 50 last year) so I'm thinking, "you've already seen me since the 50 so what are you talking about? My hair? My shirt? what???"