My whole body hurts!

Options
BadAssAries
BadAssAries Posts: 66 Member
I'm new to MFP & only into Day 3 of a health overhaul...diet & exercise. I'm (trying) running because it melts calories and calms my too busy mind. But I've been sedentary FOREVER so running again is super hard right now. I'm nervous about a "rest day" from exercise so soon but I hurt everywhere!. Anyway, I needed to vent to people who get it. & if any of you need friends, feel free to add me; I could use some motivation

Replies

• Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Good for you for making the decision to get fit!! If you are really sore from just a couple of days of exercising, I would encourage you to dial it back a bit so that it is more likely you will keep going. I believe that slow and steady wins the fitness race, so to speak, over the long haul. I take rest days only when circumstances require it, or if I am overly tired, or if my body really just cannot handle another workout. That works out to about four days per month.
  • BadAssAries
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I think you're right, I probably went too hard too fast. I think I just wanted to push myself b/c I've been so lazy for so long. But I will dial it back b/c I want this to become a lifestyle change for me. Best with your fitness journey!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Rest Day: Take a walk, not a "power walk", just a walk. Smell the flowers, look at the sites, feel the breeze.
    Maybe a slow warm up routine. Not really breaking a sweat, just some easy movements.
    Do some stretching, some nice gentle stretching. Take a breath, relax.
  • BadAssAries
    Options
    I was thinking about just taking a pleasure walk; I REALLY want to be out. I think I will. Thanks!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I don't take rest days. I take active recovery days. This means that I'm not working out as hard, but I'm still doing something -- yoga, walking, etc.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I think you're right, I probably went too hard too fast. I think I just wanted to push myself b/c I've been so lazy for so long. But I will dial it back b/c I want this to become a lifestyle change for me. Best with your fitness journey!

Why not run one day and walk the next, that way you are still exercising.

I agree with beckajw.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Great advice already! Way to get at it!!!
    I agree, not "too much" because that is where people give up by 2-3 weeks in.
    Create the lifestyle you can do! :)
    Lots of water too.
    Congrats!!!!!
  • BadAssAries
    Options
    That's probably what I will do; at least until my body adapts.
  • BadAssAries
    Options
    Yeah beckajw, I think I'm going to do what pondee639 suggested and take that walk
  • myattcp
    myattcp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Take everything slow and progress. I always find that as a person i'm always really enthusiastic, if i want to do something i need to do it all! and now! This inevitably leads to you burning out. You can't keep it up as a lifestyle. I see people say take a walk. Perfect. Basically don't go full whack for a long while, just do a bit and build upon that. I have a friend who was obsessed with people on an app called strava, doing massive runs / cycles every days 360 days a year. He used to show me and to be fair, it was really impressive.

Recently I've seen him himself do the exact same thing. He started off slowly, gradually building himself up over a year or so and now he does 9-10 miles a day regularly and looks in great shape. Its definitely possible to be consistent but you need to set your habits first, by gradually building into your mind that this is what you want to do. As people say, one step at a time
  • bjaneb
    bjaneb Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love MapMyFitness to keep track of my walks and runs. Even on the days I jut take the dog for a long walk, seeing that workout on my app makes me feel like I am still doing something towards fitness.
  • buddy7ove
    buddy7ove Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just started using myfitnessplan again after a long break to record meals and the improvements are great! Just saw your post and just wanted to add that to remember that all theses apps and programs are guidelines. You know or will learn what is best for you. So, if you went to hard rest until you feel better...the no pain no gain approach is not necessary for us lesser mortals. I am running again after a year out and still hurt also but will not run again until the pain is gone. Just started dabbling in Yoga which is fantastic by the way (who knew) but again I'll wait for the pain to go before I resume.

Keep it up
  • BadAssAries
    Options
    @TrevorLeacock I agree with you, I must listen to my body. But I also don't want to slip into bad, sedentary habits; I know for me that temptation is real & powerful. My body still hurts (less though) today but I know I can take that walk. I'm going out again today & take another walk, along a different route this time. It was pleasant & I really felt proud that I made the decision to do something.
  • hollypopp10
    hollypopp10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was running 6 miles a day a year ago, then an injury got the best of me. I've been walking and now adding a jog here and there, but it's hard not to just run. I'm afraid If I push too fast I'll injury myself again. So for now I'm walking a ton! I did just over 21,000 steps today and over 9 miles. I'll get back to running eventually. I'm sure you will too!
  • BadAssAries
    Options
    @hollypopp10 yes! It's surprising that after being sedentary for so long (& how bad I am at running right now) just how much I just want to run. I've continued to walk despite soreness (thanks to encouragement from people on this forum) but when I'm outside & the weather is perfect & everything is just so beautiful it is hard not to try to "take off." My sore legs remind me though to calm down & take it easy, lol. I'm just glad to be off the couch and on the move.