Exercise Ball as Chair and Metabolism

Options
My metabolism has gone to heck since menopause. I usually eat pretty well and I exercise but it's not doing the job anymore unless I go to extremes.

I've heard that using an exercise ball as an office chair can help burn a few extra calories. It makes sense, but I wonder if it burns enough to make a real difference. Has anyone ever tried it?

Replies

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I doubt they make much difference in calorie burn, but I have heard many people speak to improved back pain and posture.

Though I suppose if you bounce up and down all day that would likely help!
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't have any back or posture problems so I don't need that benefit.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Using the ball as a chair does help build core muscles since you're constantly using them to keep your balance. Don't know about calorie burn though. I can't see it adding more than a few extra a day, probably in the 20-30 range.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I found using the ball as a chair reduced my productivity severely. I was busy trying to keep my balance instead of focusing on writing. It might depend on what kind of work you do, but for me, it wasn't conducive. :)
  • must_deflate
    Options
    Menopause has little effect on ones metabolism. Our metabolism starts slowing from the age of 20 onwards, between 50-100 cals per decade depending on weight and gender. (I llose 6 cals per birthday)

Get a check up at the doctors, count your calories accurately, move more during the day (think of all the movement you were doing in your 20-30's and emulate), start some kind of resistance training to help with bone and muscle retention.

An exercise ball will burn a few extra calories and help with stability.

Cheers, h.

Well, maybe I will try the exercise ball to see if it gives me a little edge. I never had this much trouble with my weight before, and it did start around menopause time. I used to only gain weight if I took a "vacation" from the gym, but now the gym doesn't stop it. (I've done weight training and cardio since I was 25.) I did ask the Dr. about it just last week. I got a thyroid TSH test, B12, and vit. D done. All were normal. Although, I think I will request a more detailed thyroid test (T3 and T4 too).
    I just wish I could eat like a normal human and not gain weight. "Normal" eating for me would be about 1500 to 1600 calories per day. I do count calories.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    As we get older, we need fewer calories, so that might be the needed adjustment to keep you on track.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Your core and back will get worked which means
    posture will improve as well.
    I think it's a good idea.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Menopause has little effect on ones metabolism. Our metabolism starts slowing from the age of 20 onwards, between 50-100 cals per decade depending on weight and gender. (I llose 6 cals per birthday)

Get a check up at the doctors, count your calories accurately, move more during the day (think of all the movement you were doing in your 20-30's and emulate), start some kind of resistance training to help with bone and muscle retention.

An exercise ball will burn a few extra calories and help with stability.

Cheers, h.

Well, maybe I will try the exercise ball to see if it gives me a little edge. I never had this much trouble with my weight before, and it did start around menopause time. I used to only gain weight if I took a "vacation" from the gym, but now the gym doesn't stop it. (I've done weight training and cardio since I was 25.) I did ask the Dr. about it just last week. I got a thyroid TSH test, B12, and vit. D done. All were normal. Although, I think I will request a more detailed thyroid test (T3 and T4 too).
    I just wish I could eat like a normal human and not gain weight. "Normal" eating for me would be about 1500 to 1600 calories per day. I do count calories.

Are you weighing your food on a digital food scale? If not, you may be eating more than you think. Cue the videos!

• must_deflate
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Are you weighing your food on a digital food scale? If not, you may be eating more than you think. Cue the videos!

Yes, I weigh (on a digital scale) and/or measure what I eat.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    My metabolism has gone to heck since menopause. I usually eat pretty well and I exercise but it's not doing the job anymore unless I go to extremes.

I've heard that using an exercise ball as an office chair can help burn a few extra calories. It makes sense, but I wonder if it burns enough to make a real difference. Has anyone ever tried it?

Try things like including walking in your commute, taking the stairs, standing during meetings, walking the long way around to the photocopier etc. ... just generally being more active. If you aren't already.