Type II Diabetes / Gastric Bypass / Calorie Consumption

Options
teaspoon43
teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
At my last check-up with my PCP I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. He said he didn't want to put my on insulin because it wasn't horrible so he gave me Trulicity which is a once weekly injection which will help control my sugar - one of the side affects is that it curbs your appetite and helps lose weight... I had NO idea just how much it would. I just took my second injection the other night and I can't consume more than 900 calories a day - I feel like I had gastric bypass that's how full I feel and how little I can eat at a time. Throughout the day I feel wonderful, no cravings or overeating so I'm really liking that but I'm super nervous about not getting enough nutrition. I don't go back for 3 months so I will give it a good month to adjust and if I still can't eat a lot, I might try to get in sooner to see if this is healthy for me or not. I love the weight loss just don't want the side effects! Any suggestions from bypass patients who may have experienced this and still managed to get the nutrition they need while not being able to eat much?

I'm a 31 year old female - 5'5 and weight approx 275.

Replies

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Better start hitting protein. I haven't had the bypass, but all my sisters have. It's important to keep level on your glucose levels, so make sure you are getting the protein you need. You also need to get back to the Dr. Make sure they know what you are experiencing.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    75 grams a day of protein, 11g of omega-6 fats and 3g of omega-3 cover the essentials and easily fit into 500 calories so get a good variety of vegetables and a portion or two of lower sugar berries / fruits in as well.

Make sure you're up to speed with expected side effects http://www.trulicity.com/taking-diabetes-medicine.html# "severe problems with your stomach, such as slowed emptying of your stomach (gastroparesis) or problems with digesting food"
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    See if you can get an appointment for one month instead of three months. You need to stay in touch with the doc.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Consider taking a multivitamin if low calorie diet.