Bedrest Exercises

Options
SapphCas
SapphCas Posts: 32 Member
Hi guys, so I've broken my foot awfully badly. Been stuck on bedrest for 3 weeks and surgery last Friday means another two weeks. Thereafter, I'll be hobbling around minimally for around 6 weeks until I can start putting some weight on my foot.

With 3 weeks gone already and this to come, I'm worried about muscle atrophy. As an active gym-goer pre-injury, there's nothing I can do to stop the muscle atrophy, but exercises can help slow it down.

At the moment I am using light weights to do:
Leg raises (front and side)
Overhead tricep press
Shoulder press
Crunches & sit-ups
...and some other random exercises I made up and don't think have a name!!

Question is: does anyone know any other good exercises I can do whilst on bedrest, with or without light weights? Anything facing tummy-down and/or with weight on both legs (e.g. plank) is out the question. I'd appreciate any advice!!

Particularly concerned about my back and glutes. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You could probably do "supermans" or bow poses (Dhanurasana). Google 'em. You'll see pictures.
    Those and just deep breathing. This will all be over soon and you will be back at it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    just flexing your leg muscles will help . You can probaby do any seated upper body exercise. and dont rush your recovery, there will be plenty of time after you have healed to get back into working out. Take it slow and steady.
  • SapphCas
    SapphCas Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you both :) I will try dhanurasana for sure today!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    See if your doctor will send you to a physical therapist to give you some thought on what you can do given your injury.

Best of luck