Success doesn't always look the same

Options
dopeysmelly
dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
I finally reached my goal. Not my goal weight, but my goal. I reached goal weight (or thereabouts) in October 2014 when I lost 70 lbs (1/3rd of my body weight), but that was just one step in the total journey.

But my reasons for losing the weight weren't to do with reaching a number. I only lost it for health reasons. My cholesterol had been creeping up, I got winded, didn't want to run around and just didn't feel great. I felt that if I didn't do something radical then I would find myself old before my time and functionally incapable of doing what I wanted to do well into old age. I was facing my own mortality, I suppose.

I started losing on MFP January 22, 2014 and reached my goal about 9 months later (give or take). I've managed to maintain my weight pretty well since then, and even lost the few pounds that had crept on. I worked out regularly and honestly felt great.

When I had my annual physical last May though, I had a real shocker. Even after losing all the weight, my cholesterol had shot up. My "bad" LDL cholesterol was 202, total was 301. My triglycerides and "good" HDL cholesterol were really good, but my doc was concerned and reaching for the prescription pad...

So, I did what I did to lose the weight. I figured out using research, googling studies and reading a lot, what might work for me to get my cholesterol under control without drugs. I put together a plan, gave myself 4 weeks to execute it, and then got retested. Numbers were better, I was off the hook for drugs, but the real test was whether I could stick with my plan longer term.

Well, I've done it. Not only done it, but exceeded my own goal. For my annual physical this year, LDL was 88 (I'd set a goal of 100), total was 173, triglycerides and HDL were still really good, doc was really pleased, congratulated me on an improvement he said couldn't be achieved using drugs and that I should be on a documentary.

I guess my point here is that it's really important to understand WHY you want to lose weight and to always keep that in the back of your mind. It makes it easier to cope with the small disappointments along the way and focus on the ultimate prize. It also makes the unexpected bonuses feel so much sweeter - not only am I healthier, but I look much better, I love what my body can do, I love that I have muscles in my arms, I love that I can lift my 10 year-old daughter (who is nearly as tall as me), I love that my skin glows from health, and that I can run, I love that I can get great bargains in the small sizes on the sale rail, and that I feel ALIVE. But they're all small bonuses that I wasn't planning or expecting.

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• ummyasminah
    ummyasminah Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. It's wonderful that you persevered to do what was best for you. Great work, and thank you for sharing!
  • diamondgirl50
    diamondgirl50 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Awesome success...great job! What did you find in your research that changed those cholesterol numbers?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Nicely done!!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What a great post and a great reminder to us all. Thank you for sharing this type of success with us, and congratulations!! :)
    Awesome success...great job! What did you find in your research that changed those cholesterol numbers?

I'd also like to know.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Great job! I too think it's awesome you met your goals. I'm thinking the improved cholesterol was from swapping out saturated fat for the healthy mono and polyunsaturated. I'd love to know how you did it too!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Me too! I want to know what you did to get those cholesterol numbers to drop!!! (Oh and congratulations!!)
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Oh this is just an awesome post @dopeysmelly I am utterly thrilled for you and all that you have achieved.

Bad cholesterol is a scary *kitten* to take on and get under control. Even trying to make sense of the research is an ordeal, I remember having many a brain meltdown trying to work out what the numbers meant and what to do next to try to help my Hubby avoid the dreaded statins. So Highest of 5's to you doing the grind and getting it under control.

You are so right too. The road is an ever evolving one. Improving our health, our fitness, weight, strength or whatever the markers are that are important to the individual is what makes someone successful long term. Those challenges drive those who like you are motivated to keep reaching great heights.

Congratulations <3
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,768 Member
    Options
    Amazing story. I'm happy for you!
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    So good to hear you were able to get your cholesterol under control without medication. Diet and lifestyle are KEY for good health and you are living proof.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    What a great post and a great reminder to us all. Thank you for sharing this type of success with us, and congratulations!! :)

I'd also like to know.

Me too!
  • NAbramovich
    NAbramovich Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I'm going through something similar right now -- I'm nowhere close to goal (I've lost 20 lbs out of 60), and my doc was super pleased with me for that. Blood pressure and pulse really improved. However, LDL is now high. It's frustrating because I'm eating better but I now feel like I'm less healthy than before. OP: Do you mind if I ask what you set as your macros and did you find it made a difference?
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    Great story - congratulations! You've really made lasting changes in losing, maintaining, and improving your health. You sound happy and healthy - thanks for sharing!
  • dennysgirl99
    dennysgirl99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That is just awesome! Congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!