I hate being short and needing to lose weight

Options
Seriously. At 5'0" and female my BMR is like ~1700. So when I am "normal eating" at 2000kcal i would gain weight. But I peek around at other people's habits and diaries and I see people being able to eat 2000 calories and lose weight! Ugh. I'm annoyed by my body. I would kill for an extra 800 calories a day. I WOULD KILL FOR A DOUGHNUT RIGHT NOW.

/rant

What about your body that you can't change annoys you?

Replies

• HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Naturally my mommy tummy!! I've been very skinny before and it still hanged around and its the first place to bloat when I eat bad. I wont be able to wear a swimsuit unless I get a tt and that's far beyond my mind. But I'm back to fitness so ill try my best.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    i sympathize with you OP, it's like you've got a normal appetite like everyone else yet you can't eat like everyone else. it's a situation that really has you exercising just so you can eat more

since you can't do anything about your height, you can work on increasing your metabolism
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I am only 5ft tall AND 62 years old. Double the problem really. I still keep working at it and have lost 54 lbs since July last year, so it can be done. I know what you mean though. Those extra calories would make all the difference.

Edited to say my TDEE is 1700 so to eat at a deficit there are not many calories left. It is hard sometimes
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I agree! I'm 5'2" and it's taken me forever to drop this low. I haven't been this low since I was with my exboyfriend in 2009! YIKES! And it didn't take long to pile on. Only took a year or 2 to blow up to 180s!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    4'10 and eats 2000 calories a day:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1032620-4-10-and-eats-2000-calories-a-day-eeegads-pics?hl=4'10+eating+2000+calories

edit: Just thought you guys could use a little motivation. It is possible to be short and eat 2000 calories a day.

I'm 5'4" and occasionally eat up to 2500 calories a day. On top of that I'm losing weight at an average of 2lbs per week (even with MFP and fitbit set to only 1lb per week). I think it really boils down to your activity level and possibly even the amount of muscle you have. More muscle = more calories burned in a day.

As for what bothers me about my body. All the fat on it, lol. I was thin up until a few years ago and I can't believe how much I let myself go. Oh and my boobs, the dang things aren't shrinking fast enough (although they were on the big side when I was thin too).
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You can't change your height, but you can change needing to lose weight.

You might only have 1700 calories but if you move a lot, and increase your physical activity you can easily mange 2000 calories - thats only 300 calories worth of exercise - thats a long walk or 24-40mintues on the treadmill or cross trainer.

I wouldn't mind being a few cm taller too
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and my BMR is only 1470 or something. But my TDEE is really high as I exercise a lot and am really active. I still tend to stick to 1500-1600 calories though, although I could probably eat more.

I was only eating 1200 so that is progress! I have managed to increase my metabolism so I'm sure you could.

As for my body....I still have a mummy tummy. No matter that I have been exercising for 2 years now after my 2nd child, I still don't have a flat stomach! I hate it.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to push through the same level of hunger no matter what their height.
    Tall people are eating what would satisfy you and feeling HUNGRY.
  • JeCarlson87
    Options
    Being 5'3" I feel your pain. During my time in the military I was constantly having my BMI done and for a lot of shorter people BMI just doesn't work. Most BMI scales say I should be no more than 145 lbs but while I was enlisted I weight 160 lbs and wore a size 5 with an average body fat around 20%. And I know I'm not the only one like this. Don't stress so much about the numbers, it will drive you crazy. Instead focus on visible results like more toned arms or fitting into your jeans better. You'll be happier in the long run.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1032620-4-10-and-eats-2000-calories-a-day-eeegads-pics?hl=4'10+eating+2000+calories

edit: Just thought you guys could use a little motivation. It is possible to be short and eat 2000 calories a day.

I'm 5'4" and occasionally eat up to 2500 calories a day. On top of that I'm losing weight at an average of 2lbs per week (even with MFP and fitbit set to only 1lb per week). I think it really boils down to your activity level and possibly even the amount of muscle you have. More muscle = more calories burned in a day.

As for what bothers me about my body. All the fat on it, lol. I was thin up until a few years ago and I can't believe how much I let myself go. Oh and my boobs, the dang things aren't shrinking fast enough (although they were on the big side when I was thin too).

This, you CAN change the amount your body burns.....and the more lean muscle mass you have, the more you burn too. I'd recommend lifting, I'm 5ft2 and regularly eat 2000 calories a day. I lift 4 times a week and do some short bursts of HIIT. Its good lazy girl exercise (its over quickly) but really good.

I try not to look at my body negatively anymore, it doesnt do anybody any good. My hair annoys me (I would love luscious flowing hair but its fine and short at the moment), but the rest of me can deadlift 100kg, so it gets a pass :)
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options

This, you CAN change the amount your body burns.....and the more lean muscle mass you have, the more you burn too. I'd recommend lifting, I'm 5ft2 and regularly eat 2000 calories a day. I lift 4 times a week and do some short bursts of HIIT. Its good lazy girl exercise (its over quickly) but really good.

I try not to look at my body negatively anymore, it doesnt do anybody any good. My hair annoys me (I would love luscious flowing hair but its fine and short at the moment), but the rest of me can deadlift 100kg, so it gets a pass :)
    This exactly! I'm 4ft 10in, weigh 103.6lbs and my tdee is 2000-2500, but I still maintain on 3000 calories too. It is possible to be short, eat more and lose weight:)
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 as well. I could eat as much as a 6ft, 300 lb man! I was craving a burger soooo bad this weekend! But that would eat up my caloires for the day.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 as well. I could eat as much as a 6ft, 300 lb man! I was craving a burger soooo bad this weekend! But that would eat up my caloires for the day.

Why dont you try making your own? That was you can decide what goes into it, what to have with it and how many calories it is? I make homemade burgers all the time. Usually have them bunless, with sweet potato wedges and an awesome huge salad. Last night I made spicy harissa turkey burgers, with sweet potato wedges, salad, halloumi and some chilli 0% yoghurt on the side. It was amazing.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am only 5'2" but I'm happy with being short. I guess the one thing I get annoyed I can't change is that I let myself get so big in the first place - if that makes sense. I know my body won't look the same on the way down as it did on the way up, know what I mean?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It takes more calories for a bigger body to run. Taller people can still be hungry too. I get where you are coming from, but being short isn't the issue here. I am 5'2 and don't look at someone taller and think that they have it made. They are struggling just as much even though their calories are higher. Everyone has their struggles and issues; we just find what works for us.
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    4ft 11
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    the good news is, the more you exercise, the more you can eat >:D
  • jessicadawn1978
    jessicadawn1978 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I'm 4"10 and currently 115 lb (reducing by about 1 lb per week). If I don't exercise and don't pay attention to portion control my weight definitely goes up... much like any person of any height I guess. I don't feel it goes up/down any more/less than a person of a different height.

I have found that increasing the amount of lean protein I eat has significantly curbed my hunger and I am able to eat fewer calories whilst still feeling satisfied, and that I'm not missing out or starving myself.

I do eat low calories but if I'm hungry I will eat something and I don't deprive myself. I lift heavy weights and do cardio 5-6 days per week, and I should probably eat more that I do fo this activity, but I'm happy with how its going at the moment. When I hit a plateau I'll take another look. I also have chocolate and treats if I fancy it, but only a small amount so I have what I fancy but control the portion relative to my height.

So my suggestion would be to look at increasing the amount of lean protein and see if that helps you feel fuller and less deprived within a lower calorie level. Also agree with everyone else, lift weights do exercise and you can eat more :-)
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I honestly think it's all relative, taller people need more calories, so it's just as hard for them. It's all about self control. What took a long time to get my head around was that I may only lose 1-2lbs a month, until I realised that again it's all relative,that 1-2lbs looks like a lot more on me than on someone taller.

But if you feel hungry, either work out more or find a way to satisfy your hunger, like are you wasting calories on something you don't really like?! Are you hitting your macros, since if you are under eating on protein/ fat/ carbs, then that could be why you are hungry so try and balance them out. I'd also recommend working out your TDEE if you haven't already.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    My height is what I want to change. I wanted to be taller than everyone in my family so I would need to be 6'2. I am 5'4; I am sad. If I could just have another growth spurt I would be so happy.