Weight training while obese?

Options
sinfulsun
sinfulsun Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all. I need some help in the exercise department. I'm 5'2 at 185 pounds wearing a 10/12 pant size. I run 4-5 miles a day and take rest days when needed. I have lost weight but not much, mainly I've lost inches (which I am fine with). I love my running and don't want to stop. The problem is I miss my weight training too. I used to lift weights of moderate difficulty but I found that I actually did get bigger, especially in my arms and upper body so I stopped. I had hoped by stopping that the muscles would shrink but they have not (its been two years now). Don't get me wrong, there is still fat over the muscles but I am actively trying to decrease my body fat.
Just so you know, I don't count calories, carbs, or proteins. I used to do that years ago and learned a LOT from it but made a decision to no longer live that way. My only diet modifications now is that I don't eat bread and the only reason for that was to force myself into eating more variety and not just sandwiches. Most days I eat two meals a day (lunch and dinner) but that changes if I'm hungry and eat something in the morning, then I just eat small meals throughout that day but I prefer just two meals.
I'm sorry for the long intro.
Clearly, I am obese and this is the part where weight training scares me. I don't want to get any bigger than I already am. My husband suggested that I could lift light weights with higher reps but I am still nervous to try. I want to add back some weight training because it did improve my strength and my overall health.
It's just so frustrating to me because I read a lot online about women who say they got smaller from lifting and I don't know why I had the opposite effect. :( Could light lifting grow the muscles too?
Any suggestions for me? Or has anyone else experienced my problem and can relate it to me? Should I weight to start up again when I am smaller?
BTW: My hormones have been checked and they are fine. I do have hypothyroidism but have been on T4 for many years and I don't experience the symptoms of it.
Thanks for reading.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    sinfulsun wrote: »
    ........ but I am actively trying to decrease my body fat.

Just so you know, I don't count calories, carbs, or proteins. I used to do that years ago and learned a LOT from it but made a decision to no longer live that way......

You contradicted yourself; the only way to decrease body fat is eating at a deficit and the only way to know if you're eating at a deficit is to count calories.....which doesn't mean you have to become a food martyr, you can watch what you eat and still enjoy your favourite foods (just a little bit less of it)

Having said that I believe that you can be overweight and mitigate many of the negative health consequences through exercise and eating a balanced nutritious diet.

If you're eating at a deficit and lifting weights it's highly improbable that you'll gain muscle, you'll retain what you have. Even eating at a surplus most people have to make a concerted and sustained effort to put on any appreciable amount of muscle, bodybuilders don't happen by accident.......

You have to decide what you want to do. I'm a runner so I would encourage you to keep at that but I also think runners should lift if for no other reason than injury prevention.

• SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree, you need to know how many calories you are consuming. I saw an article about lifting as cardio. The article recommended using a moderate weight and doing high reps. Example: Deadlift Cardio - full range of motion, 50+ reps for about 4 sets. You may want to incorporate some sprints into your running.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    you're probably not getting bigger from weight lifting, its either a temporary slight pump from water retention, or your imagination. If you wanna get smaller, you have to eat at a deficit, if you wanna get strong and healthy lifting weights is a good way. And If you enjoy lifting, and like how you feel when you get strong, then do it.

If you are interested in rep ranges, there is general rules - heavy low reps = strength, med reps = size, light high reps = endurance. I guess i'm technically obese , since i fall into the obese bmi category. I lift heavy low reps and after many years of lifting, i'm probably the same size as someone else my same weight, but i have beast strength, and solid strong posture.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    size 10-12 pants are smaller than what I wear and I'm just overweight not obese-and currently steadily shrinking.
  • Fishbern
    Fishbern Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There are thousands of fitness programs out there, give one a try that's not crazy intense like P90x or Instanity. Go to bodybuilding.com and check out the programs. Jamie Eason has a great one but I recommend

Ultimate 30 Day beginners guide to fitness.

You're completely walked through everything. Great to start to get back into it. The workouts can be tough but take the rest you deserve!

You will not gain weight over the 30 days. Put your body under duress and your body will change for the better! After the 30 days choose a new program! Work hard and you will see positivity come back!

Good luck with all of this!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You are about 50 lbs overweight. Unless you change your diet, either in quantity or the type of foods you eat so you are eating lower calories, or unless you considerably increase your overall activity (and somehow manage to not eat back the extra calories), there is nothing that will help you look smaller. You can lift if you like it. It will not help you really look better, unless something else changes. It will help you get stronger. Or be happier. Or even get bigger muscles. But the 50 lbs of extra fat will prevent the visual results you are hoping for.
    Itis not uncommon for a powerlifter to be obese btw, so it will not be somehow bad for you or your progress. Just do not get into false hopes of losing weight because of adding lifting and changing nothing else.
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    you might also want to check out this site and the next challenge that will begin soon

http://fighterdiet.com/

http://fighterdiet.com/cuts-gainz-kit-1-beginner

the meals and workout plans are laid out, you basically eat the same thing for each meal for 4 weeks then the meal plan changes a bit for the next 4-8 weeks, the goal there is that you don't have to calculate or worry about what should I make for each meal, you will need a food scale to make sure you are getting the correct number of grams.
  • Camilleathome
    Camilleathome Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you were looking at the scale, keep in mind too that MUSCLE weights more than fat. So for the first month or so your going to see your scale go up because your gaining muscle, even though you may lose an inch at your waist or hips. Don't always trust your scale.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    sinfulsun wrote: »
    Hi all. I need some help in the exercise department. I'm 5'2 at 185 pounds wearing a 10/12 pant size. I run 4-5 miles a day and take rest days when needed. I have lost weight but not much, mainly I've lost inches (which I am fine with). I love my running and don't want to stop. The problem is I miss my weight training too. I used to lift weights of moderate difficulty but I found that I actually did get bigger, especially in my arms and upper body so I stopped. I had hoped by stopping that the muscles would shrink but they have not (its been two years now). Don't get me wrong, there is still fat over the muscles but I am actively trying to decrease my body fat.
    Just so you know, I don't count calories, carbs, or proteins. I used to do that years ago and learned a LOT from it but made a decision to no longer live that way. My only diet modifications now is that I don't eat bread and the only reason for that was to force myself into eating more variety and not just sandwiches. Most days I eat two meals a day (lunch and dinner) but that changes if I'm hungry and eat something in the morning, then I just eat small meals throughout that day but I prefer just two meals.
    I'm sorry for the long intro.
    Clearly, I am obese and this is the part where weight training scares me. I don't want to get any bigger than I already am. My husband suggested that I could lift light weights with higher reps but I am still nervous to try. I want to add back some weight training because it did improve my strength and my overall health.
    It's just so frustrating to me because I read a lot online about women who say they got smaller from lifting and I don't know why I had the opposite effect. :( Could light lifting grow the muscles too?
    Any suggestions for me? Or has anyone else experienced my problem and can relate it to me? Should I weight to start up again when I am smaller?
    BTW: My hormones have been checked and they are fine. I do have hypothyroidism but have been on T4 for many years and I don't experience the symptoms of it.
    Thanks for reading.

I lost 145lbs from weight training. I found it more enjoyable and managed to build a decent amount of muscle to begin with even in a calories deficit.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    ...MUSCLE weights more than fat.

No
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to gain a huge amount of muscle.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    If you were looking at the scale, keep in mind too that MUSCLE weights more than fat. So for the first month or so your going to see your scale go up because your gaining muscle, even though you may lose an inch at your waist or hips. Don't always trust your scale.
    One cannot simply gain that much muscle in such little time..
    It's muscles retaining water that does it.