Fitness apps for running

ydyms
ydyms Posts: 266 Member
What are good apps to download to my iPhone when starting to run? I'm not all that savvy so could use any help and suggestions :)

Replies

• Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    I use MapMyRun which is part of MFP, it tracks my workout and automatically updates my diary here.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Endomondo, has both free and paid service. I've used it for about 6 years, 6 months a premium customer, unless you want to create structured training plans and follow stats like hydration it's not necessary. Its a fitness tracker, you name a sport its likely to be in the database.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I use both runkeeper and zombies, run.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Zombies,Run! is awesome. It has a great story line.
  • ydyms
    What kind of app is Zombie Run?
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    ydyms wrote: »

There's two: ZombiesRun and Zombies5K. Are you looking to work up to running, say, 5 kilometers (3mi), or do you already have a strong running base?
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I use Strava.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Couch to 5K
  • ydyms

There's two: ZombiesRun and Zombies5K. Are you looking to work up to running, say, 5 kilometers (3mi), or do you already have a strong running base?
    I used to be a once-weekly half marathon runner. That was two years ago until I became pregnant with twins. I'm looking to build that up again.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I've tried many and the one I prefer is Strava. There's a paid and a free version. The free is all I ever used. I finally got a used Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS watch off Craigslist for $40 and it's MUCH better than an app. I'll never go back to using apps. I've since upgraded to a Garmin Forerunner 220 ($60).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    What features are you looking for?
  • ydyms
    What features are you looking for?

I have no clue. As my OP indicated, I'm clueless and looking for anything that will enhance my runs.
  • KarlyK929
    KarlyK929 Posts: 44 Member
    Does Zombies, Run! work when running on a treadmill or do you have to be running outside?
  • sarajvesely
    sarajvesely Posts: 4 Member
    I use MapMyRun but this Zombie thing sounds interesting.... So do they make you think you are being chased by Zombies to make you run faster?
  • amybugfit
    amybugfit Posts: 40 Member
    KarlyK929 wrote: »
    Does Zombies, Run! work when running on a treadmill or do you have to be running outside?

You can use it on a treadmill. Either enter a constant speed pace or have the app count your steps (you input your stride length).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    What are good apps to download to my iPhone when starting to run? I'm not all that savvy so could use any help and suggestions :)

It depends what you want them for. An Audiobook player is useful ;)

I'd categorise the apps in different ways.
    • Performance tracking using phone GPS - Strava, Endomondo, Runkeeper would be my recommendations. Others will suggest Runtastic or MapMyRun but personally I wouldn't recommend either.
    • Training apps - Couch to 5K, or Endomondo and Runkeeper both have training plan options. Some people recommend Zombies Run and the related 5K trainer, I've used neither as the concept really doesn't appeal to me, so couldn't comment one way or the other
    • Entertainment - I use BeyondPod for podcasts or Smart Audiobook Reader for audiobooks
    • Music - personally I'm happy enough with the Google music player, but don't tend to use music when running.
  • Wicked_Seraph

I used to be a once-weekly half marathon runner. That was two years ago until I became pregnant with twins. I'm looking to build that up again.

If you're confident you can run 5K comfortably, I would go ahead and just get ZombiesRun. I think it's awesome. If you're fond of games, you earn supplies and credits during your runs that can be used to build up your virtual base. I personally fell in love with it because of the writing and storyline - and I've barely scratched the surface of Season 1! If you're like me and sorta obsessed with zombie lore, it's worth giving a shot!
    KarlyK929 wrote: »

I believe it works on a treadmill, though to be fair I've been using Zombies5K and not ZombiesRun. I don't know if you have a step tracker, but I know for Z5K you can change its GPS settings to accelerometer rather than GPS.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I use MapMyRun but this Zombie thing sounds interesting.... So do they make you think you are being chased by Zombies to make you run faster?

There is a story line to it that you hear. In between parts of the story, it will play music that's on your phone or from an external music player (like pandora) if you want. If your running outside, you can turn on GPS mode and Zombie chases. This will have occasional points in the mission where you will hear zombies getting closer and you need to speed up to avoid them. You collect items while running to build your base and repair it after zombie attacks.
    There is also training plans to get you running further. These are designed for people who can already run a 5k. There is interval training as well.
  • Wicked_Seraph

It depends. You can turn on zombie chases if you like, but when I was using the regular app I KNEW I couldn't run long enough to survive zombie chases lmao. I think when I'm done with Z5K and have a stronger running base, I'll give the chases a try. They sound fun!

Most of the appeal, in my opinion, is the storyline. I know that sounds lame, but I found myself surprisingly invested in these characters' lives.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I've tried many and the one I prefer is Strava. There's a paid and a free version. The free is all I ever used. I finally got a used Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS watch off Craigslist for $40 and it's MUCH better than an app. I'll never go back to using apps. I've since upgraded to a Garmin Forerunner 220 ($60).

@7lenny7 what do you like about the garmin forerunner? Better accuracy? Might be worth looking into for $60!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    @7lenny7 what do you like about the garmin forerunner? Better accuracy? Might be worth looking into for $60!

For me, a Forerunner is more accurate, has longer battery life, more consistent indication of pace and it's more convenient as I don't need to put my phone in a case.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Runkeeper is what I use. Its very user friendly and gives you audio cues about your time and distance.
  • woodlandsgopher
    woodlandsgopher Posts: 7 Member
    I'm a Runtastic user, syncs nicely with MFP. I have Runtastic-Pro. It was free to download when I got it, I don't know if it costs anything now. They're always advertising for the premium version, but I get all that I need with the free version.

The one down thing is that I can't sync my FitBit with it. I really like tracking my heart rate when I run, and wish I could get my FitBit HR data in Runtastic. Maybe someday.
  • 7lenny7
    edited May 2016

For me, a Forerunner is more accurate, has longer battery life, more consistent indication of pace and it's more convenient as I don't need to put my phone in a case.

^ exactly.

Phone GPS sensor are notoriously unreliable. I kept getting dropouts in my signal and my pace and distance would be all screwed up. A GPS is waterproof and Garmin Connect syncs with all the popular apps (I send my data to MFP and Strava but it will do many more). Garmin Connect, btw, is a fantastic app all by itself, both on the phone and on the PC.

That $60 price for a used GPS, and it was a hell of a deal. Mostly I see the 220 go for $125 on up, but I had been watching Craigslist for a long time when that popped up. It's the pink one, but I rock it well!

Even the 305, which I frequently see for $50, is worth it over using a phone app, for all the reason stated above. It doesn't have the bluetooth connection to my phone to upload data, it doesn't have cadence, and probably a few other minor things, but it is a very capable GPS if you want a cheap one.
  • 7lenny7
    That $60 price for a used GPS, and it was a hell of a deal. Mostly I see the 220 go for $125 on up, but I had been watching Craigslist for a long time when that popped up. It's the pink one, but I rock it well!

Even the 305, which I frequently see for $50, is worth it over using a phone app, for all the reason stated above. It doesn't have the bluetooth connection to my phone to upload data, it doesn't have cadence, and probably a few other minor things, but it is a very capable GPS if you want a cheap one.

Examples of GPS watches I see right now on the Minneapolis Craigslist:

FR 220 w/ HR monitor - $100
    FR 225 w/ HR monitor - $150
    FR 405 w/ HR monitor - $60
    FR 305 w/ HR monitor - $80
    FR 210 - $50

What you may want to do, is use a phone app for a month or so and see if running is for you. If you get into it, you'll start to see how a GPS watch is a better option.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member

FR 210 - $50

What you may want to do, is use a phone app for a month or so and see if running is for you. If you get into it, you'll start to see how a GPS watch is a better option.

FR 210 - $50

now if only my boyfriend would be willing to compromise. he just bought the garmin fenix 3 saphire- $599 :sweat: