newbie here

Options
Hello all. I am new to the site. My name is Jill and im from South Carolina.I've battled my weight all my life and at this point in my life I need help! I am 33 years old and morbidly obese. I guess I've always found food as a comfort but I have come to realize its not comforting me but killing me. Its keeping me from doing the things I would love to do in life. Like ride a bicycle, ride roller coasters, be able to walk without giving out of breath...but most importantly have a child. I really need support and hope to make friends on here going through the same issues in life. Today is Monday July 8th the day I try a life style change and not just a "diet".

Replies

• nerding4ever
    Options
    You can do this Jill! You just need loud support! :D
  • Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jill !! You have made a very good start - The hardest thing for a lot of people is actually admitting out loud they have weight/food issues ..Step one done - joining this fab site - set 2 done ....:bigsmile: .... small steps - remember we all had to learn to walk before we could run ... enjoy the journey, there is lots of support on here.
  • mathstudent
    Options
    I've never been morbidly obese, but i have battled with food for a number of years. Given the amount i ate (frequently 4000 calories in a day), i'm amazed my greatest weight was 76kg. This was mainly due to lots of exercise, starting off thin, and only having a problem that serious for about two years before i was able to deal with it fairly well. It disappoints me, though, that it took so long really. I think the problem was the poor advice i received initially. I read "overcoming binge eating" by professor chris G Fairburn, and he kept saying about how overeating was not an addiction, and it was an emotional problem, and to treat it as such. I tried his method for ages without luck (thinking hes a professor, he must know the best method of weight loss).

Later, i discussed the problem with family, and my dad remarked that in supersize me, the guy gets addicted to McDonalds, so food clearly can be addictive. So i searched the net, and found many sources, all more recently published than the 1996 book on binge eating i had been using, saying that recently, scientists had found that food could be addictive. So i tried this new approach, cutting down on fat initially, and that really worked to reduce my cravings, stress and to stick to a more normal diet. I've currently lost about 8kg, so i'm at about 68kg now, and only need to lose a few more kg to reach my goal weight.

Maybe i've always been too thin to be able to know what you're problem is like, but i was overeating compulsively and frequently, and i have curbed that mostly (i still eat too much sugar), and my advice is to watch your sugar and fat intake like a hawk. Though you may be best off reducing it gradually if you are way over the RDA's.

Good luck
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There: Wel;come Aboard!
    Logging calories on here is fun yet very informative.
    I am on 1200 calories and this is not enough for me-so I exercise more to get more calories
    I'm working on my 4th month of not smoking and I joined mfp to not gain weight in the process, but what I'm learning is far more than I ever imagined.
    Good Luck!
    Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • tonadayuu
    tonadayuu Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hello Jill. Welcome!
    You'll get there. You'll be able to do things you'd love to and more!
    Feel free to add me! :)
  • jjrummage80
    Options
    Thank you for all the encouragement! Staying positive and trying to do my best!
  • Cocobee515
    Cocobee515 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Happy that you've made this step to change your life! Please feel free to add me :)
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    welcome, my advice to you is surround yourself with positive friends here, log everything be honest with yourself, that way your peep;s can see where you could change or improve items, ask questions, be brave about this and you can do it:flowerforyou:
  • thezorb
    thezorb Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi Jill! Welcome to the only thing that has ever worked for me, weight loss-wise. I'm no stranger to exercise, but I LOVE food. Trying to get my eating under control has been an issue for many years. Once I saw what was really going on in black and white, right in front of my face, no ignoring it...that has been a huge motivator to get it under control before I take after my parents with Type 2 diabetes. Good for you--taking the first step is always the hardest! There are plenty of awesome people here to help you through it! Feel free to add me as a friend.