changed my eating habits 3 weeks ago today

Options
Hello all! I committed to a lifestyle change 3 weeks ago. Eating less sugar, fat, sodium, lower carbs and more fruits, veggies, protein and drinking unsweetened almond milk. I am down about 5 pounds but wish it was more. I have about 40 pounds to lose and hope one day to come off my bp meds. I have been walking daily, chugging water and feel amazing. Any thoughts? Am I expecting too much? I do not feel deprived at all and eat about 1200 -1300 calories a day. Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    5lbs in 3 weeks is a great rate of loss.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes, 5 pounds in 3 weeks is a really good rate! That's more than a pound a week, with not that much to lose (relatively speaking). You also mentioned some other positives such as feeling better. I think think you need to see the big picture here. All of these positive changes you are making will help you not only reach your overall goal of losing weight, but will also help with your goal of coming off BP meds.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

This. With 40 pounds to lose, you shouldn't be aiming for more than a pound a week.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Same 3 weeks, lost slightly under 7.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Typically, the weight loss is more the first week or so (water) then it becomes whatever it will be. If you are feeling OK (good energy, able to sleep well) then you should be fine. It might be helpful to take a multivitamin for insurance, and will be helpful, long term, to ensure sufficient protein and fat grams each day. Both are essential. Beyond that, if you can add in (or continue) resistance training you should be good to go. If you start feeling tired, really hungry, unable to sustain your current level of activity then your calorie levels/nutrients might need to be adjusted. As you approach your goal weight your rate of loss will slow - that's to be expected. Good luck!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    keep up the good work!
  • luangie16
    luangie16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great responses. I added a good multi and calcium supplement because one of my seizure meds depletes calcium. My energy is so good right now and I hope it continues. Definitely need to start some strength. Upper body especially. Going to check out some sites to start with simple hand weights. MFP rocks - so glad a friend suggested I try it out. The boards are so helpful as well!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great start! 5 in 3 weeks is great. The real key is just to stay consistent and not worry about the rate -- you'll be amazed at how fast time passes and the weight comes off if you just stick with it. 1-2 lb/week adds up.
  • livierosebud01
    livierosebud01 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Don't listen to the Debbie Downers on here that wanna point out that it's too much in a week or its water weight. Keep up the 1200-1300 per day and good luck. It will slow down as you get closer to your ideal weight but it will come off!!! Good Job!!!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    OP, if you've lowered your carbs significantly, you may want to increase your fats for satiety. Also, the body depends on fat for many functions, one is assisting fat soluble vitamins... fat also helps keep us regular. Remember, the only thing that can cause weight gain is eating more calories than your body needs to maintain.

You're doing just fine.
    Don't listen to the Debbie Downers on here that wanna point out that it's too much in a week or its water weight. Keep up the 1200-1300 per week and good luck. It will slow down as you get closer to your ideal weight but it will come off!!! Good Job!!!!

No one was being a "Debbie Downer" as you put it. 1lb per week is a fantastic and safe rate of loss for someone who has 40lbs or less to lose.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the Debbie Downers on here that wanna point out that it's too much in a week or its water weight. Keep up the 1200-1300 per day and good luck. It will slow down as you get closer to your ideal weight but it will come off!!! Good Job!!!!

You'll notice that the "Debbie Downers" are experienced posters with alot of experience.......hmmmmm. Makes you think, doesn't it? Take their advice OP.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    This. With 40 pounds to lose, you shouldn't be aiming for more than a pound a week.

Cosigned.