I can't figure out why my body only loses weight whenever it wants

Options
I am 24, male, and I weigh 270lbs right now. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I keep my calorie intake below 1700. I eat enough. I exercise between 30 minutes to an hour a day.

It's like my body loses weight whenever it decides. It seems like I can only keep it off until my body decides to lose weight again. My diet doesn't change. I have no idea what it is.

Why does my body only lose weight whenever it wants? I know it makes no sense. I count my calories, I keep my sodium level low, and try to keep my potassium level up. I went from 284 to 270 with hardly any exercise I finally decided to try it. My diet didn't really change. What causes this?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water weight loss. the sodium potassium balance is a large part of what determines how much water you retain (other things would be new exercise, and glycogen stores)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When I eat at a level to cut 1lb a week I would typically lose 1lb first week, nothing the second and third weeks and 3lbs in the fourth week.
    And at the end of four weeks I've still lost 4lbs - so does it really matter over an extended time period?

This is an interesting theory which strikes a chord with many people.....
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    jt1807 wrote: »
    I keep my calorie intake below 1700. I eat enough. I exercise between 30 minutes to an hour a day.

I don't know if all three of these sentences are consistent with each other. If you really exercise that much, and really eat that little, you should be dropping 3-4 pounds per week.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you are confused by the fact that you don't lose some every day/week in a consistent fashion? That is completely normal. Everyone's body is like that. Or are you saying you are not losing at all?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I would take one item at a time and tweak it. Increase exercise or lower calories a bit. I too think your logging may not be accurate. If you are guessing a food calorie total look up several on this site and alway pick one that higher. I can always find one that is way low so if go high and you are wrong you will be in error to lose more not less. The same applies to exercise burn.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you're losing all at once and then holding for a bit, and then losing again... you may find this article helpful: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I keep my calorie intake below 1700. I eat enough. I exercise between 30 minutes to an hour a day.

I don't know if all three of these sentences are consistent with each other. If you really exercise that much, and really eat that little, you should be dropping 3-4 pounds per week.
    I agree, are you sure you're measuring everything you eat properly?
    I was able to lose my last 10 pounds a few years back (163->153) by eating about 1600-1850kcal/day. There's no way that you're not losing massive amounts of weight at 270 when eating 1700.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »

I agree, are you sure you're measuring everything you eat properly?
    I was able to lose my last 10 pounds a few years back (163->153) by eating about 1600-1850kcal/day. There's no way that you're not losing massive amounts of weight at 270 when eating 1700.

I'm 250 and eat right around 1700 calories weighing everything religiously, and I don't lose massive amounts of weight. I tend to lose in cycles - several weeks (or even a couple months) with zero loss, then I lose up to 10 pounds all at once.

The OP isn't necessarily doing anything wrong.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    When I eat at a level to cut 1lb a week I would typically lose 1lb first week, nothing the second and third weeks and 3lbs in the fourth week.
    And at the end of four weeks I've still lost 4lbs - so does it really matter over an extended time period?

This is an interesting theory which strikes a chord with many people.....
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

LOL I didn't see this and reposted. Definitely a great one.