confused as to where i go now?

Options
de1amo
de1amo Posts: 266 Member
Firstly, i will set out by saying i am 47 and of average muscle mass.Yesterday i reached my optimum weight according to the dietician at my gym- lean mass plus 17pc fat, a bmi of about 23 but my wife says i am too skinny and need to build some muscle.

İ am a teacher and have quite a sedantry lifestyle outside the gym because that is what happens when your my age and have old sports injuries-my knees arent good these days. The young gym instructors at the gym agree my wife but to be honest i dont need or want to be over done with muscle because i dont want to push in loads of protein to upset my healthy eating diet that i enjoy from this site--i can keep on losing weight very easily with or without any gym work just by keeping to my calories on here.-i dont want to go up to maintenence mode here because for me i feel that is over eating for my life style. i enjoy having control over what i am consuming, i live happily on my calorie allowance but that will continue losing me a regular 1lb a week --and it does!!

any ideas??

Replies

• MissyMorganFit
    Options
    First, let me congratulate you on reaching your goal! Next, I know EXACTLY what your wife means. I would recommend you working out with the P90X program! My husband NEVER had muscles to be seen (LOL) until going through this program. For health & fitness reasons, you should be strength training 3 days per week regardless which will put on a bit of muscle in return. This will boost your metabolism as well. If you are interested or would like other ideas, I am a trainer & Beachbody Coach & would be glad to help! Just send me a direct message.
  • de1amo
    Options
    i do strength training 3 times a week but on this diet with its reduced intakes i sense that muscle gain would be impossible--i have a qualified coach who sets my programs but i want to resist the continual chase for that perfect body--i had that when i was younger but without excessive dedication and actually increasing my intake i cant see it being possible--i have fought hard to get my intake under control and increasing everything again would kinda be defeating what i have acheived by getting to this point--the body perfect gym instructors are half my age and yet to make their marks in life-im middleaged and not out to impress anyone but want to stay fit to see my kids grow old and play with my grandkids one day!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :drinker: Congratulations on reaching your goal!

Building muscle doesn't have to mean you have to bulk up - just buidling muscle to keep your organs and tone up would probably satisfy the spouse and you should be able to work around the old injuries with some guidance (sure don't want to add to your discomforts). I always feel that people think 'we' are too thin due to the fact they aren't used to seeing up feeling good. JMO. Good luck.:bigsmile:
  • de1amo
    Options
    i just met one of the beefcake instructors who is laden with muscle in the changing rooms-he said i looked normal in my proportions without my shirt on-thats good enough for me at my age--my wife i think is used to the inflated me and the fact all my gym gear is large and i am now medium is why they see me as too small--i am drowning in my own clothes- time i started buying some slim fit tee shirts!!-i feel chuffed--dryyork i think you hit the nail on the head!!