Should you use protein shakes if your goal is to lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    143tobe wrote: »
    I use Garden of Life, Raw Meal daily. One scoop contains 20 grams Protein, 8 grams carbs (1 gram sugar), 1 gram fat. It's a vegan meal replacement so it tastes pretty earthy. I used to just mix it with water, and although it was earthy and gritty, strangely enough, I would crave it. I would eat it here and there, between meals to boost my protein since my diet is mainly vegetarian (I eat chicken once a week.) and I do rely on it to bring up my daily protein intake. I just recently pulled out my blender and started making smoothies with it. OMG. It has now become my morning breakfast meal. So good. I still use water and ice to blend it, but now I add any combo of strawberries, lettuce, radishes, bananas, cucumbers, spinach, basically anything healthy that I hate actually chewing. (The bananas and/or strawberries usually cover up the taste of the veggies) The serving ends up being huge, satisfying and under 300 calories. Definitely a meal. It does lack fat, but I usually have some sorta fat shortly before or after having it depending on the day. Oh, and yes, I have been losing weight while using this, 35 lbs over the last 5 months. Log everything.

Try to put some peanut butter in it for a delicious flavor and fat.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I like to have a protein shake before going grocery shopping so I'm not tempted to overbuy. My daughter didn't like the organic protein shakes she bought so she gave them to me. I found them delicious and filling. They're 180 calories each. Protein's not just for muscles but is also great for hair. I just realized that my hair has never been as full and healthy as it is now.