Eating 1500 calories a day, exercising and still not losing

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Gotcha - understand could do with eating much more!

I've spent a year, or more, losing 6 pounds. If you're close to your goal, it can take much much longer than MFP projections of a 1/2 pound of loss per week would suggest. Not noticing a loss after 3 weeks is not a very long time at all, and for your height, a 5 pound gain is well within normal fluctuations of water retention, and food in various stages of digestion that happens to be in your GI tract at the time that you weigh yourself. A small deficit, and a determination to stick with your plan, will get you there.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Those are all excellent links! I refer people to them all the time.
  • prkns1
    prkns1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    some people are gluten sensitive, have you tried cutting down on grains??
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I stalled a few weeks in too, it is normal. With another plateau at around 5 or 6 months. Speaking for myself, I am carb intolerant so as soon as I lowered my carb intake and upped my protein the scale started to move again, and very nicely too. Again, I am eating 1300 cal a day in 5 or 6 mini meals which the pros recommend but I am a 5'4 woman, so take others' advice with a little more cals and more frequent meals with more protein. Follow back up with us in a couple wks to tell us how it worked
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have chosen to follow the TDEE-20% route which for me is around 2200 calories a day at 5' 6" and 184 lbs and I am losing weight slowly but steadily. I still record on MFP and use that as a guide for the calories I eat, my exercise calories go in too but I am not concerned about the net as I am only interested in consumption.
  • piggler65
    piggler65 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    some people are gluten sensitive, have you tried cutting down on grains??

Am a vegan and believe in 80:10:10 rations for macros so cutting down grains is hard - I have solved my problem now in not understanding why I needed to eat more to lose!
  • piggler65
    Options
    I have chosen to follow the TDEE-20% route which for me is around 2200 calories a day at 5' 6" and 184 lbs and I am losing weight slowly but steadily. I still record on MFP and use that as a guide for the calories I eat, my exercise calories go in too but I am not concerned about the net as I am only interested in consumption.
    ]

How can you not be concerned about the net?

Out of interest - if you eat around 2200 calories and you exercise you go lower than your BMR - how is it you still lose weight?

When I ate 1200-1500 calories I was eating less than my BMR and exercising so it was even lower than I thought and I was not losing. So now with advice from this board I am upping my target to just over my BMR which is 2000. If I exercise and do not net 2000 I will be in effect eating the same as before.

How do you still lose weight and how do you explain not worrying about net calories?
  • spookygoldfish
    spookygoldfish Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As he is older & shorter than you his BMR is around 1600 so I doubt that he is netting below it.
  • piggler65
    Options
    As he is older & shorter than you his BMR is around 1600 so I doubt that he is netting below it.

understood. Thanks
  • Kirsten2304
    Kirsten2304 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I would definitely lower the amount of carbs you eat in a day. Eating less carbs has always been the best way to lose weight for me. :)
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1607 if I exercise 6/7 times a week my TDEE comes out as 2772 which would keep me at maintenance, to lose weight I take off 20% giving me 2218 calories per day to eat. I use MFP to keep a tally of my intake and exercise the net on MFP doesn't matter as the TDEE calculation incorporates BMR and exercise. Interestingly the net does tend to match my goal most days.
  • piggler65
    Options
    That makes sense.
  • jacqueliner15
    Options
    I really need help. I have been trying to just eat healthier and work out 5 days a week. Usually cardio and weights. Or a day of squats and strength training. I eat around 1500 calories a day and I am 5 foot 11 inches and use to weight 227 and now weigh 189 and can't seem to get pass this block! It's been almost 3 weeks I have been at this block. Should I decrease my calories intake? Or I am loss with what to do help
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I really need help. I have been trying to just eat healthier and work out 5 days a week. Usually cardio and weights. Or a day of squats and strength training. I eat around 1500 calories a day and I am 5 foot 11 inches and use to weight 227 and now weigh 189 and can't seem to get pass this block! It's been almost 3 weeks I have been at this block. Should I decrease my calories intake? Or I am loss with what to do help

Are you weighing/measuring all of your food and logging accurately? Are you set for a loss of 1 pound per week? Are you eating at least some of your exercise calories? You may need to increase calories, not decrease them. You are young, and tall and active so you should be able to eat more and still lose weight.
  • jacqueliner15
    Options
    If anything I feel I need to decrease my calorie intake and work out more
  • deksgrl
    Options
    If anything I feel I need to decrease my calorie intake and work out more

Do you understand that MFP does not include exercise in its calculations for the amount of calories you need? You could work out more but then you would also need to eat more.
  • jacqueliner15
    Options
    I am sorry I am just so confused. Many people tell me to cut my intake then people tell me to eat more. I really don't get it and I am getting confused. All I want is to see that scale move again. It's frustrating waking up every morning at 4:30 to go workout and on top of it not see results.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I am sorry I am just so confused. Many people tell me to cut my intake then people tell me to eat more. I really don't get it and I am getting confused. All I want is to see that scale move again. It's frustrating waking up every morning at 4:30 to go workout and on top of it not see results.

Okay, well, what is your height, weight, age. What is your goal weight. What is your workout routine? How much have you been eating? Do you weigh/measure all of your food?

Eating too little and working out more isn't always better, it can cause too much stress on your body which will cause hormonal issues that will prevent weight loss.
  • jacqueliner15
    Options
    I am 22 and am 5 foot 11 inches and weight 189 and fluctuate. My goal is 160. Started from 227 but I lost that over steady time. I run about a mile a day. And switch to legs or arms. Ab workout. And sometimes squats