Not logging in maintenance?

Options
I never fully-100%-tried to lose weight before so in Feb 2015, I had set up a weight loss goal on MFP and lost 48 lbs by weighing and logging food while changing my eating lifestyle for the better. I did restrict certain foods at the first half but later introduced them because I knew I would want them in my maintenance diet. When I reached my goal, I decided to enter maintenance by not logging food anymore. I felt I learned so much during the year, so what the heck...It's worth a try!

I periodically weigh myself to make sure I stay within a 5 lb range +/-. So far it's been 2 months and I have successfully been staying within the range. I'm eating the same foods I was eating while losing. My lesson learned: enjoy my eating lifestyle so it doesn't feel like a struggling weight loss diet.

Anyone in maintenance taking this same approach and not logging their food anymore?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Once I entered maintenance I 'allowed' myself to approximate more. Or take a few days/week where I would not log. Also looking at a ~5 pound window. But I still log. Helps me keep my macros in check such as making sure I take in a decent amount of protein. I don't always use a food scale now though, and will eyeball portions more than when I was losing.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't log/track weekends anymore, mainly because I have a mental block right now and still keep eating under the calories that mfp gives me so I'm still losing. During the week I also log to keep an eye on my macros, I would have a hard time estimating if I have enough protein otherwise. As long as you keep an eye on your weight, I think not logging is fine.
  • doinwatigottado
    doinwatigottado Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've just started this MFP thing a second time. I did it before with success. I was pretty good at logging in. I'm hoping I will stay focused and committed.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't log in the diary anymore, stopped that in July last year, after 9 months of maintenance. I still log, what, but not how much, in a spreadsheet that is also my food plan. Most of my meals follow the same setup fram day to day/week to week, it's normal food, and food I truly enjoy eating, so it's quite easy to stick to. I have a 3 kilo range and weigh every day.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged in over a year with exception to a day here and there.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't log either any more this is month 5 and it's going sweetly :smiley: I do mentally know roughly how many calories I am consuming and step on scales regularly.
    Been in maintenance for 3 years.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I haven't pigged on a regular basis for over five years. I will come back and log for a month once or twice a year just to make sure my portion sizes are not wandering too far up or down. I will also log for a few weeks if I change my routine dramatically.

I have only gone outside my range 4-5 times.
    High by a couple of pounds when I return from vacation. It goes within a couple of weeks once I have returned to my normal routine. I take no action.
    Low when my workout routine changed and I didn't realize I was burning as many calories as I was. I logged then until I got back into my range and kept my intake a bit higher until I went back to a normal exercise routine.

Most of the time I just eat what I feel like and weigh occasionally to track. It works for me bacause my portions and calories match my hunger well.

Cheers, h.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I haven't logged in a few months and don't plan to start again any time soon. I no longer see the need to count calories since I eat heathy most of the time. I do allow one day a week for take-out food as long as it isn't fried foods. My weight has stayed the same for the past 5 years except now. I lost 6 pounds after my recent surgery. I'm hoping to gain at least 4 of those pounds back again, though.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I don't log my food much any more, but I do keep track mentally. I log every now and then to make sure I'm eating enough/not too much. I weigh myself almost every day to make sure I'm on the right track.

Congrats on your loss :)!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for over three years and haven't logged in that time.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't log my food much any more, but I do keep track mentally. I log every now and then to make sure I'm eating enough/not too much. I weigh myself almost every day to make sure I'm on the right track.

Congrats on your loss :)!

Thank you!
  • cb2bslim
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one not logging. haha I felt like there was some unwritten rule that I would have to log the rest of my life. I think the body scale really helps keep me on the right path!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I have not been logging food regularly, but have been logging exercise and watching my weight. I seem to be slowly gaining at about 1lb per month since stopping reducing. It seems like this always happens and I'm getting pretty tired of it. (Particularly tired of being on a diet!) I wish my body would adjust to the lower weight!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have not been logging food regularly, but have been logging exercise and watching my weight. I seem to be slowly gaining at about 1lb per month since stopping reducing. It seems like this always happens and I'm getting pretty tired of it. (Particularly tired of being on a diet!) I wish my body would adjust to the lower weight!

I found that in my first year of maintenance when I stopped logging within 2 months I had to go back to logging to lose a 5lb gain! I would ask are you being mindful when you're eating? how are your portion sizes? just because you don't log your food doesn't mean that you stop weighing foods etc. To maintain successfully we still have to keep vigilent of how much we're consuming.

I'm in my 3rd year of maintenance now and the past year has really made a huge difference, I no longer can eat larger meals even if I wanted to (that might be age related, I don't know!). I stop eating when I'm starting to feel full, alot of the time I leave food on my plate. For calorie dense foods I keep to a minimum, I love chocolate but I am satisfied with just a little every day etc.
  • cb2bslim
    Options

I would ask are you being mindful when you're eating? how are your portion sizes? just because you don't log your food doesn't mean that you stop weighing foods etc. To maintain successfully we still have to keep vigilent of how much we're consuming.

Great advice @RunRutheeRun ! stopped the food scale as well. I find myself creeping to the higher end of my maintenance range. My exercising is almost a big fat zero. Until I'm able to exercise regularly again, I'll bring out my food scale. I didn't mind the food weighing especially when it came to foods like nuts and peanut butter. Thanks for the great guidance! Hello my old friend *hugs food scale* lol