Losing weight for the military

Options
I am in the process again to lose weight to join the Navy. I was just wondering if anyone is or has been in the same boat as me. I want to know what your diet and workouts were and results. Just need the support and motivation to keep me on going with one of the hardest things ever, losing the weight. I need to lose 6 inches off of my waist and lose 25 lbs to get the ball rolling with starting my enlistment

Replies

• Rnsmith1982
    Rnsmith1982 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same process of trying to lose weight so I can join the military too. When I started working out I was 230 and now I'm 166. Since I am petite at 5'2, I still have more weight to lose. I try to walk for 5 miles whenever I can with my sister. We recently went up to 6 miles, but I try adding workout videos to what I do. Good luck on the weight loss and hope you will be able to join.
  • kingjoker32
    kingjoker32 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What branch are you planning on joining? I plan on doing the C25K workout app to help me get into running shape. I can walk alot of miles but cant run a half mile, need to get my stamina up and get my big body moving.
  • rainbowtiedye
    rainbowtiedye Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My husband is in a similar situation! He is working on joining the National Guard. Since we started in early April, he is down 15 pounds I believe.

The biggest suggestion I can give you is to find someone to exercise with and to have a buddy. He and I have been working together and a lot of what keeps us going is seeing the success in each other and we push each other.

We do rotating exercises: 1 day is strength day (push ups, sit ups, some weighted exercises, planks, etc.) the next day is a "run" day. During the week our "run" day is a 2 mile walk with intermittent jogging when we can. On the weekends we go to a parking lot and he times himself to see how fast he can do 1/4 mile, then 1/2 mile, etc. to work on his endurance.

Using the MyFitness Pal App has helped with the food intake log and making sure that he is eating the right things (50% protein, 30% fat, 20% carbs I think are his numbers??). Once a week we log our measurements and our weight to see where we are and to alter anything in our plan (lessen calories, increase or change the work out). He has a meeting with the recruiter next week to weigh in and we are hoping for good results :D His recruiter told him to make sure he is drinking plenty of water (a gallon a day) and to avoid carbs and sugar as much as possible. GOOD LUCK!!