Should I be doing cardio? Lifting weights? Both?

Options
I currently do strength training for half an hour, and then cardio for 30-45 min. One of the guys at my gym told me I would get better results if I focus on cardio until I lose the weight - then start back up on the weight lifting. This caused a big fight at my gym, and everyone had a different opinion. What do you guys think?

Replies

• JessaWannaEatEverything
    JessaWannaEatEverything Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    Depends on what your goals are. If you are merely wanting to lose weight, then focus on cardio. If you're looking for a booty that'll stop traffic... those aren't made by being a cardio bunny.

I like having a butt, and when I was in shape before I would do 3 days strength and 2 cardio. The guy at the gym's point was it's easier to get the weight off quickly first (cardio, and calorie deficit) then build muscle (weights, and extra calories). Not sure if that means I should stop lifting for a few months though?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    You should be doing at least enough strength training to keep the muscle spared - otherwise some of it gets thrown on the fire along with the fat. But cardio burns calories a lot faster than most strength training. Can combine the two to a certain extent - circuit training, kettlebell training, and so on...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are. If you are merely wanting to lose weight, then focus on cardio. If you're looking for a booty that'll stop traffic... those aren't made by being a cardio bunny.

I like having a butt, and when I was in shape before I would do 3 days strength and 2 cardio. The guy at the gym's point was it's easier to get the weight off quickly first (cardio, and calorie deficit) then build muscle (weights, and extra calories). Not sure if that means I should stop lifting for a few months though?

I generally disagree with the person at your gym who was suggesting this.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

No, do not stop lifting. He gave you bad advice. I would ignore it.

Also, building muscle is not easy. I have no idea how old this guy was but keep in mind that no woman gains muscle at the rate that a man does.
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was hoping he was wrong. I mean.. he has awesome abs, so I thought I at least needed to check out what he was saying.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    he was wrong. keep lifting :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was hoping he was wrong. I mean.. he has awesome abs, so I thought I at least needed to check out what he was saying.

Respectfully, Abs and muscles are not an indicator of being right.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    LIFT!!!! :smiley:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight you are likely to lose muscle as well. Lifting helps retain muscle when in a calorie deficit.
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

They're an indicator of him knowing enough to get abs. :) Don't get me wrong, I'm glad everyone is saying to keep lifting. I didn't want to give it up, but being a newbie I wasn't sure if I was making some workout mistakes.
  • justinrye
    justinrye Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I my self is currently weight than want to gain muscle mass once I get to my desired weight. Right now I am doing cardio and using resistance bands just to keep muscles working .
  • chrisbyradio
    chrisbyradio Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably a good idea to also point out that it's not really weight loss that matters, it's fat loss. High intensity interval training is a good way to get better cardiovascular shape and lose fat while maintaining muscle. Might want to look more into that. You'll burn more calories then jogging on a treadmill. I have my clients do more tempo, fartlek, interval training if they want to solely do cardio workouts. Usually I hit a mix of lighter weight at higher intensity and less rest, you'll be surprised how much cardio you get. Just make sure who ever is helping you has experience and knowledge of it. You'll hear a lot of stuff in the gym that has no scientific backing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

They're an indicator of him knowing enough to get abs. :) Don't get me wrong, I'm glad everyone is saying to keep lifting. I didn't want to give it up, but being a newbie I wasn't sure if I was making some workout mistakes.

Being a "him" it's far easier and quicker for him to build, or have to rebuild, muscle than it would be for you.
    Doing both cardio and resistance/strength training is optimal IMHO.

My preference is to separate the two completely - do each one to the best of your ability and not compromise your exercise performance by doing the two in the same workout.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert but I would not give up the lifting. I lost 32 pounds previously using MFP and lifting heavy. It makes me feel strong, helps with my joint issues, strengthens my core and basically makes me feel like a beast. :)
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably a good idea to also point out that it's not really weight loss that matters, it's fat loss. High intensity interval training is a good way to get better cardiovascular shape and lose fat while maintaining muscle. Might want to look more into that. You'll burn more calories then jogging on a treadmill. I have my clients do more tempo, fartlek, interval training if they want to solely do cardio workouts. Usually I hit a mix of lighter weight at higher intensity and less rest, you'll be surprised how much cardio you get. Just make sure who ever is helping you has experience and knowledge of it. You'll hear a lot of stuff in the gym that has no scientific backing.

Do you recommend the 80/20% for cardio? It seems to be what the best endurance athletes do. Why not model endurance training by what they do?
  • chrisbyradio
    chrisbyradio Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Do you recommend the 80/20% for cardio? It seems to be what the best endurance athletes do. Why not model endurance training by what they do?

So I don't particularly, but I am not an endurance athlete. Same with my clients. Most people only have 30 minutes a day to get out and do something and you'll more efficiently get your HR up and cover greater distance using interval methods than long, slow distance. I've trained for multiple triathlons in the past and have found that higher intensity training led to increased performance. That's only anecdotal but I did notice huge changes in lactate threshold and VO2max when I took away slow running, biking and swimming (all for the the better). If you're goal is to run marathons frequently or long distance triathlons then go for it. If you're going for fat loss and increased athletic performance and every day functional activity I wouldn't do the 80/20 method of training. The other thing to remember is that long slow distance running (not so much biking) can be catabolic to muscle and a lot of endurance athletes skip the weight room in exchange for putting in mileage. 80/20 may be good for a marathoner but detrimental to a basketball player. Just depends what your goals are.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Anaerobic exercise can be cardiovascular.