Healthiest Brand of Flour Tortillas?

Options
Any ideas on flour tortillas? I'm definitely using more corn tortillas and buying them fresh at a local Mexican market. However, we still use flour tortillas for a few things and I'm looking for a brand that is lowest in fats, simple carb, calories...etc. I don't mind using whole wheat. Someone suggested Trader Joe's Handmade 100% Whole Wheat, but I haven't tried them. Some of the 'healthy' tortillas are very thin and fall apart easier. I'd rather use a smaller tortilla than one that is so thin that it falls apart. Thoughts?

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I use the Mission Carb Balance tortillas. 120 calories, 5g carb, 13g fiber each. Lovely way to pack in some fiber. Or their whole wheat version. They have 15g fiber each. Both taste great and are sturdy enough to hold up for any type meal.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have gotten the Mission high protein ones and they're pretty good. They hold together.
  • maeggggan
    maeggggan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i use flat-out. so yummy! 14C 2F 9P for one.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I use low carb tortillas. Flat Out, La Tortilla Factory, or Tumaro's. All in the 60-80 calorie range.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    We use Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran & Whole wheat tortillas. 42 grams of tortilla is 80 calories, 5 grams fiber, 7 grams protein & 12 grams carbs. They make a good wrap, too.

I've never seen the Mission ones here.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I use low carb tortillas. Flat Out, La Tortilla Factory, or Tumaro's. All in the 60-80 calorie range.

I have just this second finished a chicken quesadilla made with Tumaro's tortillas. Never used them before, but they'll be my go to brand from now on. Only 60 calories per tortilla.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I buy the fresh uncooked variety they sell near the cheese at the supermarket. I don't have the brand handy, but they are typically lower in calories and don't have that packaged taste. They come in both corn and flour.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I know you asking about different brands but flour tortillas are pretty easy to make.
  • kpruett1
    kpruett1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really like the La Tortillla Factory but my local store stopped carrying them ☹️. Trader Joes are good and I stock pile them when I get there since the closest one is about 2 hours from home. I'll have to look for the low carb Mission brand but don't think my local store carries those either. I'd like to find a good gluten free brand also as an alternative to corn.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I buy the fresh uncooked variety they sell near the cheese at the supermarket. I don't have the brand handy, but they are typically lower in calories and don't have that packaged taste. They come in both corn and flour.

I use those too! I just wondered if there were some a bit lower in calorie. I agree that they taste great and don't taste 'preserved'. I've never seen the uncooked corn ones, but I will sure be looking for them. Thanks for the info!
  • ljashley1952
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I know you asking about different brands but flour tortillas are pretty easy to make.

I love to cook, so I'm not opposed to giving it a try! Hopefully, they will turn out good! Might even try the corn ones.
  • ljashley1952
    Options
    kpruett1 wrote: »
    I really like the La Tortillla Factory but my local store stopped carrying them ☹️. Trader Joes are good and I stock pile them when I get there since the closest one is about 2 hours from home. I'll have to look for the low carb Mission brand but don't think my local store carries those either. I'd like to find a good gluten free brand also as an alternative to corn.

It makes me wonder if they can be made with rice flour or one of the alternatives to wheat flour. Might be worth trying.
  • Francl27
    Options
    kpruett1 wrote: »

Check your store again. Mine stopped carrying them for a while and now they have them again, but it's a new formula (70 calories instead of 80 too).
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @ljashley1952 paleo wraps are made from coconut. there are alternatives to wheat flour or corn tortillas. they just aren't tortilla-like.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Trader joes low carb flour tortilla is the best low calorie flour tortilla one I've had. Weigh them though - but even then they are still only about 50 calories each which is comparable to corn tortillas. They are soft and don't fall apart and they taste good. They also have regular whole wheat tortillas but I don't know the stats for them.

I stock up on them and freeze them.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Ole Wellness high fiber/low carb

50 calories, 11g fiber, 4g protein.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ole Wellness high fiber/low carb

50 calories, 11g fiber, 4g protein.

Never seen those! Although the others have more protein.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I think when people mention calories of something that should include size of them as well.

Ole Wellness High Fiber/Low Carb is 45grams for 50 calories. Lowest for the size you can find.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options

And they really taste superior to store bought
  • Francl27
    Options
    KellieTru wrote: »

And they really taste superior to store bought

They also have more calories.

Although I'd be curious about a recipe for low calorie/high protein/high fiber tortilla that doesn't taste like dirt.