Jack Fruit

Options
Just wondering if anyone has used Jack Fruit in their cooking? If you have, do you have a recipe? I've seen them in the produce section but the are huge & it's just my hubbs & me. I bought a can of Young Green Jackfruit in brine, but now that I have it I don't know what to do with it. Any help will be appreciated.

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I can't help thinking of these when I see them in the supermarket:

pod-people-invasion-of-the-bodysnatchers.png

Searching for "jackfruit recipes" turned up a LOT of recipes, especially on vegetarian sites. No idea whether they're good or not. One blog article I read said you can freeze the flesh for up to a year.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    BBQ recipe on allrecipes.com apparently is good
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I just pour a bunch of barbecue sauce on the jackfruit, simmer it forever and eat it with much gusto. It's so mildly flavored that it just soaks up whatever you add to it.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I bought the flavored jackfruit from whole foods and it was actually pretty good honestly. It just lacks protein which kinda sucks, but it's good when trying to add volume to meals
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I don't use it in cooking. I just love to have jackfruit as a fruit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have had it as pre-made BBQ, but I've never cooked with it myself. It's pretty low calorie (at least the way I had it).
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I have finally seen fresh jackfruit. The Asian grocer had it the other day and I was tempted but it was priced by pound and really heavy so....not in the budget. It was selling fast so I'm sure it's gone now.

I didn't know it was available canned. Might have to wander over to Whole Foods today.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Fresh jackfruit has a mild, delicate, sweet taste so I would just eat it raw.

P.s. In case people don't know the big jackfruit pieces you see at the grocery store actually yield very little fruit.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I wondered how much is edible. Also, how to eat it lol.