What keeps your diet in check? Your exercise routine?

Options
What is the thing that keeps you going steady?

For me, my diet keeps my exercise routine in check, and vice-versa. If I am not exercising, then I will probably let my diet go to hell. If I am not eating properly, I will figure "well exercising on this diet wouldn't work well."

So I basically find it difficult to do one but not the other.

Replies

• MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i guess that *I* am the thing that keeps everything in check. If for some reason I can't exercise on a certain day, that doesn't mean I will stop the diet, or vice versa. it used to be, i used to have the 'in for a penny in for a pound' (or kilo:laugh: ) mentality but not anymore.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    When I first started to lose weight for look and health purposes it was the first excitement of discovering a new thing what started me and kept me going. Cos I thought that this all calorie counting and working out was pretty fun. That stopped after couple of months once I get used to it, became boring. Then what kept me going was pretty much just a habit, cos it was automatic part of my day now so it was easier, also the wision of future looks of my body.

Now it's a future goal of mine. If I will not work out I will not get a job I want so it's a must. And of course also the fact of looking good and feeling healthy and energetic, that's just something I don't wanna give up, I find it more exciting than I find exercising hard, so it overrides it.

As for diet, that's messed up right now. I ate way too much of crap and no, it's not really in check that much now. I just count my cals and protein. But even if I still count them I still go over it too much... bad, bad. I'm now trying to gain muscle so I need to be in caloric surplus but still too much. I'm not afraid that I will go back where I were now cos I will be able to lose it, but sill. Have to stop it. Not healthy either considering crap I ate. :/
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    HABIT
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've made progress, but I have a little more to do and I want to keep it steady when I reach my GW. I know the fat lazy woman is still there lurking and if I let her out it will be back to square one :wink: I've bought nice new clothes and am fitting back into my nice old ones - i'm not going back to being Mrs Frumpy!

I keep exercising (yes even in this heat) because if I don't I can't enjoy the food I want to (although in more moderate portions now) because I won't have enough calories available. I keep an eye on the calories because its too hot to do a lot of extra exercise!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 so what keeps me in check is my strong desire to feel great and remain healthy.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    HABIT

^ This!

Plus, I love the way I feel when I'm healthy.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    my desire to have a stronger, healthier me. my desire not to be fat anymore. my new awareness of what I put into my body.

that's what keeps my intake in check.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    HABIT

Yes, this! I don't feel right either if I don't exercise or eat healthily.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Goals & targets are what makes me tick and keeps me striving to improve.

Whether it's a weight loss goal, cycling further, lifting more weight, doing more sit ups, running/rowing faster, hitting a calorie target, wearing smaller size in clothes....

The exercise part is easy (as long as I can find the time) as I enjoy it and would do it irrespective of weight, keeping intake in check is the hard part for me.