calling all antipsychotic users whp gained weight, please help

Options
13»

Replies

• idreamskinny85
    idreamskinny85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    You seem 100% set on blaming the medication, even though multiple people have pointed out that the medication itself does not cause weight gain. Until you realize it is NOT the medication, there is very little anyone can say that can help you.

You do not weigh your food, therefore you are certainly eating more than you think. Outside a medical issue, if you are no losing weight, you are not in a calorie deficit.

And you seem 100% on ruling the medication completely out regardless of the supporting articles I find. So it goes both ways.
  • idreamskinny85
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    How tall are you , how much do you weigh- also have you tried eating only protein & veggies with NO processed foods?

Yes I have cut carbs and currently cool all my foods
  • idreamskinny85
    Options
    You seem 100% set on blaming the medication, even though multiple people have pointed out that the medication itself does not cause weight gain. Until you realize it is NOT the medication, there is very little anyone can say that can help you.

You do not weigh your food, therefore you are certainly eating more than you think. Outside a medical issue, if you are no losing weight, you are not in a calorie deficit.

You are right I am not in a calorie deficit which is why I am starting to eat only 500 calories.
  • idreamskinny85
    Options
    I was on antidepressants. ...before them I lost my appetite and when I regained it of course I put on a little....why did I gain because I ate too much....NOT because of the pills. Anti depressants are not for serious mental illness like phycosis if you require anti psychotics you need to see your doctor.

That's awesome. Drugs effect different people differently. I am going to only eat 500 a day and weigh my food. If it isn't the meds in 3 weeks when I report back I should have lost weight. We will see.
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I keep getting the you are eating too much comment. Well right now I am eating only 1000, so 500 is the next step unfortunately. I have researched the drug and weight gain is listed as a possible side effect. I have read Harvard studies that point to the drug possibly effecting metabolism, but noone knows why. I have had blood work done, joined a "fat camp" voluntarily in the military, seen a nutritionist, a personal trainer, and a doctor. My nutritionist and personal trainer have viewed my logs and encouraged me to eat more. I refuse because I know I will gain weight. I have read online people who have gone through exactly what I have gone through, but in real life the only one who believes me is my bf, who is a psychologist.
    I have been a gym rat since 19, only having trouble losing weight while on the two drugs.

The most frustrating thing is dealing with this alone. Again, is there anyone going through what I am going through? Please contact me. How did you restore your metabolism and drop weight?

These drugs possibly increase appetite which can lead to weight gain. I did a search of peer reviewed studies and found many that suggest this, especially when the person had a reduced appetite due to their depression. I also tried to find these Harvard studies you mention, but could not find them. Do you have a link to the peer reviewed article written for the study?

You do need to eat more if you are indeed eating as low as you are saying. I will repeat what everyone else is saying. Make sure you are logging accurately. If this is indeed the case, you need to speak with your doctor.

Www.drugsdb.com. search for Celexa

Mentalhealthdaily.com. search for antidepressants and weight gain

Http://www,health,harvard.edu/blog/antidepressants-cause-minimal-weight-gain-201406067202

Pretty much google celexa and weight gain or celexa and weight changes.

That Harvard study actually states that antidepressants cause minimal weight gain, 1-2lb.

In my experience (I have taken several types of antidepressants and also worked in mental health services for over 10 years) the ssri group of antidepressants, which is what citalopram/celexa is, does not prevent a person from losing weight. And I really have seen hundreds of people on this medication. As for it increasing appetite, meh, maybe a little, but it's not a commonly reported side effect. (Antipsychotic meds on the other hand really can make a person ravenous.)

I do think that the effects of being depressed and then feeling better once on medication could contribute to weight gain which is mistakenly attributed to the pills. For example, if a person eats very little due to being depressed, then their appetite returns when they start to feel better, they are likely to eat more than they need in the short term. But again, no reason this should continue long term.

• ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My Mother was a schizophrenic but refused treatment. My brother had a psychotic episode about two years ago and from the meds he gets injected every month, he went from real skinny to practically obese in about six months. Skinny or slim is not his main concern now. Just his mental health matters. He tries to not gain anymore and tries to maintain around 200 pounds, and has a real hard time even doing that. He just cannot stop eating, which is a side -effect from the meds. Please go and talk to your doctor. Nobody on the internet will be able to help you. (and please do not stop taking the meds they describe, my childhood was not a fun one due to my mum's illness)
  • ScotsLass78
    ScotsLass78 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My husband has been taking anti-psychotics for a number of years (not anti-depressants that you have been taking) and weight gain can be, but isn't always, a side effect. His weight has fluctuated over the years due to increases and decreases in meds, and my advice to you is to get to your doctor. Your physical health is very important, but your mental health is equally as important and even thinking about going to 500 cals isn't a healthy solution. Metabolisms aren't "fixed" and there may not be one easy solution for you, but I would suggest you need to take medical advice to work out what's best for you, as starving your mind and body is not the way. Your doctor should be able to refer you to a dietitian who has experience with anti-depressants/weight gain and together you can find a plan that works for you. There is no miracle cure I'm afraid.
  • idreamskinny85
    Options
    I keep getting the you are eating too much comment. Well right now I am eating only 1000, so 500 is the next step unfortunately. I have researched the drug and weight gain is listed as a possible side effect. I have read Harvard studies that point to the drug possibly effecting metabolism, but noone knows why. I have had blood work done, joined a "fat camp" voluntarily in the military, seen a nutritionist, a personal trainer, and a doctor. My nutritionist and personal trainer have viewed my logs and encouraged me to eat more. I refuse because I know I will gain weight. I have read online people who have gone through exactly what I have gone through, but in real life the only one who believes me is my bf, who is a psychologist.
    I have been a gym rat since 19, only having trouble losing weight while on the two drugs.

The most frustrating thing is dealing with this alone. Again, is there anyone going through what I am going through? Please contact me. How did you restore your metabolism and drop weight?

These drugs possibly increase appetite which can lead to weight gain. I did a search of peer reviewed studies and found many that suggest this, especially when the person had a reduced appetite due to their depression. I also tried to find these Harvard studies you mention, but could not find them. Do you have a link to the peer reviewed article written for the study?

You do need to eat more if you are indeed eating as low as you are saying. I will repeat what everyone else is saying. Make sure you are logging accurately. If this is indeed the case, you need to speak with your doctor.

Www.drugsdb.com. search for Celexa

Mentalhealthdaily.com. search for antidepressants and weight gain

Http://www,health,harvard.edu/blog/antidepressants-cause-minimal-weight-gain-201406067202

Pretty much google celexa and weight gain or celexa and weight changes.

That Harvard study actually states that antidepressants cause minimal weight gain, 1-2lb.

In my experience (I have taken several types of antidepressants and also worked in mental health services for over 10 years) the ssri group of antidepressants, which is what citalopram/celexa is, does not prevent a person from losing weight. And I really have seen hundreds of people on this medication. As for it increasing appetite, meh, maybe a little, but it's not a commonly reported side effect. (Antipsychotic meds on the other hand really can make a person ravenous.)

I do think that the effects of being depressed and then feeling better once on medication could contribute to weight gain which is mistakenly attributed to the pills. For example, if a person eats very little due to being depressed, then their appetite returns when they start to feel better, they are likely to eat more than they need in the short term. But again, no reason this should continue long term.

But you stated that antidepressants don't cause weight gain and I have presented a controlled study in which they did. That goes gainst what you originally said. I don't believe weight gain happens in a short frame but over long term usage s I have read. Does it account for all the weight gain no. But i think it is pOssible that it may have lower BMR so I need to reduce my calories further to lose. do I know for sure NO but because of my experience previously and currently, I am not ruling it out. WHICH IS why I am buying the scale and checking everything. I see you didn't read other studies. Again I am checking to make sure everything is right but not being bias and ruling anything out.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You seem to have answers for every suggestion here. You also seem to have made up your mind to eating 500 calories a day. Why bother posting? You've already made up your mind on everything.
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You seem to have answers for every suggestion here. You also seem to have made up your mind to eating 500 calories a day. Why bother posting? You've already made up your mind on everything.

I was going to further reply to the op but you've just said it for me.

For every suggestion there's a "yes, but..."

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

You are right I am not in a calorie deficit which is why I am starting to eat only 500 calories.

You are not at a deficit because you don't weigh your food.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,512 Member
    Options
    Love, eating only 500cal per day, if weighted out on a scale properly is not only unhealthy, it's dangerous for your body. You will lose your hair, and a lot of muscles by doing so, and your heart and your organs are part of that as well. Your brain needs a certain amount of nutrients to function properly as well. Honestly, don't!
This discussion has been closed.