Have I hit a plateau already?

Options
Hi I've been on a diet for 40 days. In the first 20 days I lost 4kg. Since then I've lost no weight. My tdee is 3800 and I'm eating about 2400 calories a day. 40 protein 40 carbs 20 fats. Cut out all junk food only heathy eating and whole foods. I was told that the amount I cut from my tdee I should be losing tons of weight but it's just stalled at the moment. I'm not worried about it, it could be nothing. I'm just asking for advice wether I should wait a while before downgrading my calorie intake or upping my cardio.

Thanks all

Replies

• alessandra_matthews
    alessandra_matthews Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't really know the right answer to this but if it were me I would wait a few weeks sometimes my weight just stalls and then I lose 4 pounds in one week it's funny how it works like that
  • pearce8888
    pearce8888 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was thinking I should wait another two weeks so it would be five weeks in total that their was no weight lost. Thanks mate
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    We need more info. Height, weight and goal weight? You are male and you are 24.
  • pearce8888
    Options
    Height 195 cm weight 355 pounds goal weight 250 pounds. I'm sedentary at work but do cardio twice a day and do gym three days a week. 24 years old.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Are you logging food accurately? IE weighing solids, measuring liquids? Possible you're over estimating calorie burns? These are the usual culprits, and the easiest fixes. If you don't see progress in those two weeks, tighten up your logging, and play with the amount of calories you eat back from exercise.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    pearce8888 wrote: »
    Hi I've been on a diet for 40 days. In the first 20 days I lost 4kg. Since then I've lost no weight. My tdee is 3800 and I'm eating about 2400 calories a day. 40 protein 40 carbs 20 fats. Cut out all junk food only heathy eating and whole foods. I was told that the amount I cut from my tdee I should be losing tons of weight but it's just stalled at the moment. I'm not worried about it, it could be nothing. I'm just asking for advice wether I should wait a while before downgrading my calorie intake or upping my cardio.

Thanks all

You have a high tdee, are you positive it's that high? Nethertheless, as you lose weight your tdee should get lower and you have to adjust accordingly.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • pearce8888
    Options
    Hi yes I'm weighing food with a digital scale. I measured my bmr and tdee with a calculator I am sedentary with my job but do cardio twice a day and gym three times a week. I don't eat back any of my exercise calories
  • pearce8888
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My tdee is 3340 sorry guys I made an error in the calculation bmr is 2700. Should I lower my calories now or wait a while?
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. That said you can lower your calories by a couple hundreds and see what happens. Make sure you're drinking a lot of water
  • pearce8888
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi all. I've seen peoples diarys around my weight and shorter than me and they are eating 2700 calories and losing weight but heaps of people say that I should go lower than 2000 calories at this weight. I'm just wondering how that is possible. Would it be my metabolism or somthibg causing my tdee to be lower than normal. If I start out at 1800 calories at 160kg by the time I get to my goal at 100kg I will be eating under 1000
    Cals won't I?

Please clarify this for me
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hi yes I'm weighing food with a digital scale. I measured my bmr and tdee with a calculator I am sedentary with my job but do cardio twice a day and gym three times a week. I don't eat back any of my exercise calories

In a sedentary job how did you manage to calculate a 3340 tdee? I have a strong feeling your numbers are out and hence why your weight loss has stalled. That cardio and gym should not be included as the TDEE but logged as exercise calories. I have a feeling if you revise that you may start to see weight loss again.
  • pearce8888
    Options
    I just used the iifym tdee calculator I didn't work it out I'm no good with maths
  • pearce8888
    Options
    I just used three calculators and they all averaged over 3300
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    Options
    I just used the iifym tdee calculator I didn't work it out I'm no good with maths

Me neither, I always let the calculator do the work. I just think the info you've put into the calculator is maybe the issue. I've never known anyone to have sedentary job and a TDEE higher than 3000. You maybe the exception but I'd revise the numbers, if progress has stalled.
  • pearce8888
    Options
    This is what I put into the calculator and this isn't even the case for me because I do exercise
    161 kg
    195 cm
    24 years old
    Sedentary
    Not active At all

My tdee is still 2960. That means that my weight and height alone mean my tdee is at a minimum of 2900. Plus I exercise twice a day every day to point of exhaustion
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    161 kg is the sort of weight that gives exaggerated estimates from TDEE/BMR calculators. Eat 1800 calories for 2 weeks and back calculate your TDEE from the weight loss.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    161 kg is the sort of weight that gives exaggerated estimates from TDEE/BMR calculators. Eat 1800 calories for 2 weeks and back calculate your TDEE from the weight loss.

Agree
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    Options
    This is what I put into the calculator and this isn't even the case for me because I do exercise
    161 kg
    195 cm
    24 years old
    Sedentary
    Not active At all

My tdee is still 2960. That means that my weight and height alone mean my tdee is at a minimum of 2900. Plus I exercise twice a day every day to point of exhaustion

This is more along the lines of what I would expect, like I say cardio isn't a factor in your TDEE. That is why the calculator doesn't ask for that input.
    Whether you are burning 100 or 2000kcal from exercise, it wont affect your TDEE. Calculate before, during or after and eat back only a portion of those calories burned. There is some great threads on here that are worth reading on the issue.