Garmin Activity Trackers

Capt_Apollo
Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
Looking at possibly getting an activity tracker. the only thing is that i want one that can track swimming as well.

Looking at garmin, because thats what i use as far as tracking workouts. Their activity trackers are the vívosmart and the vívofit 3

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2016
    The following devices provide detailed swim metrics for pool swimming only:
    • Garmin Swim
    • vivoactive

Other devices that can safely be used in the water (based on the 5ATM water rating), but will not provide any swimming metrics include:
    • fenix/tactix
    • Forerunner 10
    • Forerunner 15
    • Forerunner 25
    • Forerunner 220/620
    • Forerunner 225
    • Forerunner 230/235/630
    • FR60
    • FR70
    • vivofit/vivofit 2
    • vivosmart/vivosmart HR

Which fitness/multisport devices can I safely wear while swimming?

edit: As a side note, I don't have a Garmin device. If your wanting your swim to be tracked though as well as an activity tracker, looks like vivoactive is the one you want to look at.
  • Capt_Apollo
    thanks... i was hoping not to have to spend $200+
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I've used my Fenix 3 to track swimming, outdoors in the summer. I get a map, stroke rate and pace, and my HR if I wear the right HRM. I think it will do all of that except the map indoors, but I'm more of a hike to a beautiful lake kind of guy.
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    I have the vivoactive and am very happy with it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    i have an older 910xt triathlon set up. but i don't wear it all the time because it wasn't meant for that. i usually just put it on as i'm headed for a workout.

but occasionally i forget my device, or the opportunity to train will present itself at a random moment, and i won't have the watch (i do however, keep a gym bag in my car at all times). This usually happens most with swimming. If it's a run i don't mind turning on Strava on my phone and carrying it; a strength training session i just manually track later.
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    I have the Vivoactive for my runs and love it!