Strategies for exercising when feeling depressed?

Options
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on how to get regular exercise outdoors when I'm feeling depressed. What strategies worked for you and helped you get out the door when you were feeling blah? Thanks!

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Make it not negotiable. Schedule it into your day and don't deviate. Its the only way I get it done sometimes!
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    1) make exercise part of your daily routine that you will do no matter what. 2) If you are talking about clinical depression, exercising will make you feel better. The brain releases chemicals (endorphin I think, but do not remember for sure) that improves your mood
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Do you skip work when you're feeling depressed? I'm assuming no. Why is that? Because you make it a priority, realizing that it is not an option to skip. Put that much importance in your workouts as your job and it suddenly becomes a lot easier.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It actually helps me.. I just take my phone and my earbuds, pump up the music, and go for a walk (or to the gym on the treadmill where I can play Solitaire too). It relaxes me.

The thing really is that is has to be something that you enjoy in the first place.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My daughter has struggled with clinical depression this past year. Exercise, especially outdoors, has done more for her depression IMO than the medicine she's on. Her mood is so much better when she has regular exercise and she says she feels better when she does it. She's still in school so school sports are what works really well for her to stick to it. It's harder for her to do exercise on her own without a lot of prodding. Finding ways to exercise with others may be a good commitment device. I run with a Fleet Feet running group (there are all kinds of pace groups) and that always makes it much less likely I will skip a workout. And I always feel really good after I workout even if I didn't feel like going before. Good luck. It's worth it.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    No matter how bad I feel, I always feel better after exercise. I know that, and I count on it. So I do it.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    No strategy. I made it a habit. It doesn't matter how I feel I do it anyway.I get home from work and I am tired. My arthritis is flaring up because the weather is changing and my joints are killing me. There is some show on TV I wanted to see. It doesn't matter. At a certain time on certain days I get dressed and go to the dojo and train for 2 hours. No excuses no negotiation. I have never had one day that I have gone to the dojo when I really didn't feel like it, that I was not very glad that I made the effort once I got there and got going. No matter how I feel before I go I always feel at least a little better afterward.

I don't have to talk myself into getting out of bed, eating or sleeping, cleaning house(okay well maybe sometimes cleaning house) or going to work.

And if you are at the point that you are having trouble doing everyday things like eating sleeping and going to work and getting out of bed please seek medical help for your depression.
  • loreece89
    loreece89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Anytime you don't want to , look at your total steps.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Exercise has been instrumental in helping to alleviate my symptoms of depression. Whenever I'm feeling meh about going to the gym or going out for my walk/run, I remind myself that I'm doing this for my mental health, and that I always feel great after a workout.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on how to get regular exercise outdoors when I'm feeling depressed.

I don't know how to answer the question, but I'd like to say that being outdoors outdoors and exercising are the two best things you could possibly do for depression.

When I was younger, I took pills for depression, and other pills for anxiety. Now I get regular exercise and it controls my depression much better than the meds ever did.

Every time I exercise I feel better. Sometimes it's the endorphine release, sometimes it's that I'm proud of myself, sometimes it's that I worked hard enough to distract myself and make my worries seem less significant. But it always works.
  • Zadviv2
    Zadviv2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sometimes just being outside taking a walk no music just you, nature & the fresh air will make you less depressed. It also works to calm you down if you're mad about something. :)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that my exercise (hiking) is the only thing I want to do when I'm depressed, which I've been battling all winter after being pretty good for several years. I always feel better afterwards, for awhile anyway.
  • dldrucker
    dldrucker Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've going through a battle with depression now, this is what helps me (and sometimes not...)

1. Get into a routine. As many of the folks said above, start small.
    2. Don't think of it as "exercise" - think of it as "movement."
    3. Use some kind of feedback method that encourages you to do more...a pedometer is great. Just by our natures, when you see that you've done 3000 steps in a day, you want to hit 4000.
    4. Figure out what kind of movement is easiest and most pleasant for you to do. For example, for me, music gets me going. So if I play music and even just start moving and dancing to the music in my living room, that's a start.
    5. If you can, find someone to walk or hike or go to the gym with.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Just before the holidays my bro died suddenly, 42, heart attack. I was put in charge of the estate. All during this time holding down the fort at home as my hub cares for his 90 yr old dad (STILL on going ). Depression and stress is just part of the grind and I turned down a script for Xanax, because I workout. I tell you this from experience, exercise, even just a long walk does WONDERS..How do I do it daily (breaks far and few between )? I don't try to fit it all in at once, most days I get 90 minutes in total but in 2 to 3 segments. Secondly, I think, "do I HAVE TO workout?" hmmm, do I HAVE to brush my teeth? do I have to bathe? Do I have to feed the kids do the laundry etc. .yes, I have to because what's the alternative if I don't. GOOD LUCK! !!:)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    For me ... exercise gives me a boost. Especially cycling. I love cycling. I love being out there in the fresh air and great outdoors. It's fun! It gives me time to think away from the house, work, technology etc. and also gives me a sense of accomplishment. If I did nothing else that day, at least I got a ride in.

Next best is going for a long walk.

I actually get restless and grouchy and miserable if I can't do one or the other pretty much every day.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    regular self care. and routine.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Make friends who are both into fitness and are positive people. Then share your journey. They will be happy for you and you will not want to disappoint them.
    That bond keeps me going on those days I'd rather sleep in.
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the best natural anti depressant
  • Remilia_Scarlet
    Remilia_Scarlet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have clinical depression and unfortunately, exercise has never made me feel better. It's just something I have to force myself to do every day like brushing my teeth and showering. It's the weirdest thing. I was a lightweight division rower at the onset of my depression; it was disturbing to wake up one morning and feel nothing from doing the sport I used to love... or anything else.

I've found that the easiest motivator has been to try to exercise instead of doing something destructive. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's the most successful method I've found.