21 day fix opinions ?(food portion)

Options
2»

Replies

• kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    So I thought about trying the 21 day fix. I wouldn't buy the program tho I would just measure things out myself based off the measurements of the containers. Has this worked for anyone?

It's portion control & calorie reduction.....so yes it would work.

21 Day Fix is basically a rip-off of the old Weight Watcher's Exchanges. The thing about WW is the plan was waaaay more flexible. 21 Day Fix has you counting 1/4, & 1/2 container nonsense when you create a recipe. Otherwise you are just eating individual "ingredients." I can't see eating that way as a lifestyle change.

My Fitness Pal gives you a huge database to log all kinds of food, that works too. Both methods are portion control.

That's true. It is essentially just another version of an exchange program. Richard Simmons "Deal a Meal" also was a similar thing. But I can say it is lifestyle worthy. But if you want to do the same thing in MFP, set your calorie goal to the same calculated range it gave you. Do not eat back exercise calories because that's part of the equation, set your macros to 40% carb, 30% protein, and 30% fat, and try your damndest to hit those targets every day...and don't forget to workout because it assumes you will be doing 30 mins of activity daily.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Gimmicky and limited in my opinion. Makes mixed macro foods like pizza, chili, 1 pot dishes ...etc a little bit of a hassle. I find it much easier and more convenient to just weigh my ingredients as I prepare/eat them directly into my pot/plate without having to worry about washing the same dang containers every day (then trying to stuff them back in my already overstuffed fridge) or limiting myself to preparing only simple single serving dishes.

MFP+food scale is much more accurate anyway.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kikkipoo wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Spoiler alert!!!

It doesn't "fix" anything.

No but it helps some people learn proper portion control and is a great way to introduce clean eating to those who don't know how.

So would a food scale and logging on MFP.

Which coincidentally eliminates the need to strive for "clean eating." Just stay under your calorie goal, get enough fat and protein and roll on.

Clean eating is actually pretty relevant for some people who care about nutrition and not just weight loss. You can eat 1500 calories of junk all day, lose weight and be completely malnourished and unhealthy. The program itself is on point. The people who follow it just don't find it as "convenient" and give up.

The argument against clean eating is that there are a magnitude of defitions. On MFP, we all suggest eating plenty of nutrient dense foods but many dont put restrictions on foods. Either way you should address your nutritional requirements before eating a lot of junk food. And no one would ever suggest eating a diet full of junk so its kind of a ridiculous argument. But i am glad you found a plan you can stick with.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    IMO not enough protein and why spend money if you can do MFP for free? Just buy a $10 food scale... easier to use and you can use it for baking too...

The macros with 21 day fix work out to 30% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat. That's pretty standard isn't it? What % of protein do you suggest?

Its not based on % . It should be roughly .8 to 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. About .8g per lb of weight.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I would suggest saving your money.

My mother bought the 21-day fix and hasn't stuck to it at all. I've tried telling her it's honestly easier just to eat what you want and track calories. Her words - and I quote - were "I don't have time for that". Like... isn't all the ridiculous food prep for the 21-day fix MORE time-consuming?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Spoiler alert!!!

It doesn't "fix" anything.

No but it helps some people learn proper portion control and is a great way to introduce clean eating to those who don't know how.

So would a food scale and logging on MFP.

Which coincidentally eliminates the need to strive for "clean eating." Just stay under your calorie goal, get enough fat and protein and roll on.

Clean eating is actually pretty relevant for some people who care about nutrition and not just weight loss. You can eat 1500 calories of junk all day, lose weight and be completely malnourished and unhealthy. The program itself is on point. The people who follow it just don't find it as "convenient" and give up.

But the choices aren't "clean eating" or just eating "junk" and being malnourished. It's perfectly possible to thrive and meet nutritional needs on a non-"clean" diet. I regularly eat foods that are avoided by those on "clean" plans. I meet my macro- and micro-nutrient goals, have excellent blood test results, maintain a healthy weight, am in good health, and consistently meet my fitness goals. I'm not the only one either.
  • IAmSagittarian82
    IAmSagittarian82 Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have the cheaper version of 21DF...called Perfect Portions for $9.99. I lost my food scale so that's why I got it on a whim at Walgreens. So far I'm down 4 lbs in my first week...so hoping to lose a steady 1-3 lbs each week after this one. I agree, the containers add another chore to your day since you're constantly cleaning 1 or 2 out to use.

I log my portions and usually jog 2 or 3 days a week.