low carb or caloric deficit

Options
Which is more effective for fat loss...caloric deficit or low carb diet?

Replies

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    People here will say it's only calories. I think it's mostly calories but carbs have more influence than people here want to admit. Just my opinion!

Best to concentrate on calories if you're trying to lose weight. (probably)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Calories. I've lost around 40lbs by eating a diet consisting of about 60% carbs. It wasn't slower than other weight losses reported here. The only reason people say low carb helps them lose weight is because if you eliminate carbs from your diet you lose some stored water weight. It is not fat, but simply water.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I went Paleo a few years back and gained weight. I eat carbs at almost every meal and lose weight. Weird.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Calories.
  • moniquebravo1011
    moniquebravo1011 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Both. If you eat lowcarb, watch your calories.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yea, no matter what, you have to have a calorie deficit if you want to lose. A lot of people find that lowering carbs and increasing fats and protein help curb their appetite, so it makes it easier to sustain a nice deficit. Any recommended diet will usually require you to tweak it a little in terms of macros to fit your needs in terms of deficit and feeling good at the same time.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Calories are definitely number one, but I find with my body that the more carbs I eat, the more bloated I am, so I keep mine lowish, around 100 and then I like the way i fit in clothes better, and I feel better as well. But everyone is different.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you eat NO carbs but more calories than you burn, you'll get fatter. If you eat lots of carbs but fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose fat.

The way low carb diets work is by eliminating a lot of foods that have lots and lots of calories; they make it easier to make a calorie deficit, that's all. (Note that for people with diabetes, this sort of diet has other benefits.)

I've lost about 80 pounds and I eat plenty of carbs every day.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Calories. Period.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Calories, you can manipulate carbs to control water weight, but that's not fat loss.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    For any way of eating - you need a calorie deficit to lose weight.
    Weight loss - calorie deficit.
    Calorie deficit- weight loss

The evangelists like to try to say that low carb alone produces weight loss. But in reality for any weight loss to occur one must be at a caloric deficit .

If you ate low carb but still ate at a calorie surplus or maintenance ,then you would lose no weight.
    Again- for weight loss to occur , you must be at a calorie deficit. Regardless if you eat low carb keto vegan paleo whatever. You still need to create a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. Don't believe the hype , carbs are nothing to fear unless you have a medical condition that warrants you to restrict your carb intake. People like to demonize carbs but often forget to say that a calorie deficit is still needed for weight loss. They like to give low carb the credit without explaining that for any diet to work , you must create a calorie deficit.
    For me, it wasn't worth the torture of eating low carb when all I had to do to lose weight was eat less calories then I burned. ( calories in -calories out )
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I found reducing carbs helpful to create a calorie deficit. (I'm not low carb.)