What was your catalyst for weight loss?

What was that moment when everything just clicked into place and you could finally lose some weight.

Ive been wanting to diet for over a year. I always thought 'ill start monday' or give up after a day, but always hated myself for getting fatter and never losing. This week i was looking for motivation, like pretty much every other week, when I saw one pin on pinterest. No photo, just words.

Being fat is hard.
Dieting is hard
Pick your hard.

and eveything just fell into place. something clicked in my brain and i went out and bought vegetables, this week i have actually eaten vegetables instead of letting them go moldy in the fridge as usual, and ive lost 2lbs already. What was it for you? a picture? a situation? something someone said? I would love to know.

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    For me it was going to the Doctors for a check up and him telling me I needed to lose weight, cut down on sugar and sodium and exercise. I pretty much knew I needed to anyway, but coming from an expert really pushed me. So I decided not to just lose weight or go on a "diet" but to change my lifestyle. I gave up alcohol and meat (except fish), most processed foods, introduced more healthy foods and began walking all which I have been wanting to do for a while. Now I've lost 9lb in 4 week.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    My clothes got too tight.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    I put on weight after a horse riding accident left me unable to walk for 3 months. Over the course of a year I drank and ate far too much and just got to the point where I was sick of only being able to fit into two items of clothing out of my whole wardrobe! I was in denial for a long time! Though really I wasn't ever "fat" as such, just heavier than I wanted to be. January this year I just decided that I need to get back down to my normal weight to feel happy within myself, now I'm pretty much there, I'm just going to keep going, I hope to get back down to the weight I was before I had kids. I have a cut off point when I put on weight, where I reach a certain weight (just over the high end of my normal BMI) and suddenly decide that's too much, any further and I will be fat.
  • paganvegan
    paganvegan Posts: 34 Member
    I want to have a baby. I have fertility issues so the dr there told me i need to lose a minimum of 50 lbs before I'll get any help. 45 to go
  • violet_wister
    violet_wister Posts: 34 Member
    This article came out the day after I'd looked at myself in a hotel mirror and thought 'I don't look like me anymore, I look like me in a fat suit' https://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/my-weight-loss#.ljK3ndDOL and the combination of me not feeling like myself and reading that it could be done (even though a lot of that is about her going to Weight Watchers, which I don't do) just flipped a switch in my mind. I weighed myself, downloaded MFP and Happy Scale as soon as I finished reading that article and I'm down 48lbs in 3 months. I still eat everything I like and I still eat out, I just do it less and with more thought.
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    No being able to find clothes that fit properly,Being short and fat was hell,nothing looked good,nothing fit well.
  • Rapril2000
    Rapril2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Mine was simple. I got on scale after avoiding it for awhile and saw a number Id never wanted to see again. Time for a change....especcially when I have a wedding dress and pictures to look good in coming up.

The first time, when I was at my all time high its because I was at Busch Gardens Tampa and was embarrassed as hell I couldnt fit into the normal seat on the roller coaster and had to wait to go on a different one than my friends. That was my wake up call.....
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    High glucose number. T2 runs in our family and I saw where I was headed. Dropped around 50lbs and now have glucose numbers in the 80s.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited May 2016
    Reminds me of a quote I saw recently, "You are one decision away from a completely different life." For me, it was stepping on the scale one day at the gym and seeing my highest weight ever. I realized that if I kept going the way I was, I would never be healthy and would just keep gaining. This was November 2012. I just came to realize that I was going to have to lose the weight on my own, that no one was going to do it for me. So I did, and it was the best decision I've ever made. When I look at older pictures of myself sometimes I am still amazed that I did it because I always fed myself excuses before. I guess I finally ran out of excuses.
    Much happier where I am now, and clothes shopping is definitely a lot more enjoyable since I don't have to go to the plus size section anymore.
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    For me, it was injuring my back for the third time. Being told I'm going to need surgery sucked. I know that getting the weight off is going to help. I just have to do it.
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    I ordered a suit online. I had been feeling a little fatter than usual (didn't own a scale at the time) so I ordered it one size bigger than what I thought of as my "bigger" size. I could barely squeeze into it. When I went out and bought a scale I "saw a number I never wanted to see again" (@Rapril2000) so I started counting calories the next day.

I worry about counting calories and having a scale in the house because I have a history of disordered behavior around food and exercise, but so far the demons have been pretty quiet.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    My first go around I found myself at the bottom of hell and depression and realised I was fat because I hated myself and challenged me to lose 50lbs in a year or go to bypass surgery. I lost 50lbs in 6months, and kept losing simply by walking and counting calories. That's it, that simple. I was so proud of myself.

Then I got pregnant, PPD kicked my face in, and I regained almost all of the 130lbs I lost. I struggled to get back on MFP and it wasn't until I saw 329 on the scale and went osnap! Im now 2 months later and back down closer to 300 and dealing with my demons again.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Midlife crisis! I have always perceived myself (and therefore felt that other perceived me) as being fit, and I just looked in the mirror in my early 40s and realized that I was going to lose that forever if I didn't make some changes.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 944 Member
    High Cholesterol & over-weight. Doctors orders to eat better & get back to a health weight before it starts to affect my health.. This was in January. I have dropped the 15lbs that I needed to & my eating is in order now. I go for my next blood test tomorrow so hope all is good now.