Powerlifting while cutting - need input

Options
2»

Replies

• RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi, nice I see a lot of input from you. I'll try to answer the questions:
    So to kind of get you thinking of a few things, how many times have you deloaded in your powerlifting program?
    You can also try things like instead of running a 5x5 (are you?), try a 3x5. Etc. Are you doing a lot of added hypertrophy work. What program do you use?

I started 5 months ago with the 5x5 program, but then I started having some issues, like hip impingement (extreme pain in my inner hip/tight) so I decided to deload a little bit and since my main goal for now is to lose the extra weight I started doing it for reps. So I do the same exercises as in the 5x5 program but more reps and less weight, even though I increase a little bit every week. But I also do accessory work that was recommended for me because of the hip impingement and also because of my back (also had some super tense muscles), so I do the abductor machine (4 sets, 15 reps), back extension with 10kg (4 sets, 12 reps) and 2 times a week I do triceps, calves and leg extension/curls just because I like doing them and I want better calves. On my days off the gym I go for a 30-40 min walk.
    and when i train, i'm training for a whole lot more than adding weight to my lifts, Powerlifting is a sport , with specific rules, and i focus more on my form and technique than the lbs on the bar.

I focus a lot on my form, and I always have someone spotting (and criticizing when needed).
    OP sounds too me like your cals are way too low. You haven't really gone into detail about your macros. try increasing your cal intake on WOD by 300 and see if that makes a difference.

Did u decrease cals even lower then 1400?

You're not the first one saying that I'm not eating enough, but the thing is until 2 weeks ago I wasn't feeling hungry with what I was eating. I don't religiously track macros, but I pay attention to protein and try not to go too overload on the carbs. Fiber is also very important to me. Never went below 1400 kcal. Sometimes I go up to 1800 for instance (time of the month, or cheat meal occasionally).
    You can work up a good macro balance even if you are in a cut. Make sure your calories are all solid healthy ones, not a bunch of sugar or alcohol or wasted calories.

There was a period of time that I was trying to be more strict with the macros, but then someone said that since my main goal for now was to lose weight then the macros weren't that important.
    I only had alcohol twice in 5 months, and I do eat healthy. But I should probably pay more attention to macros, because maybe I eat too much fruit (I have a sweet tooth), and should probably eat something more dense.

I have to be honest though. I only started taking BCAAs 3 days ago, and I'd usually stay away from protein shakes (I'm not a fan of synthetic food), but now I am taking 30grams on my workout days.

I love powerlifting, and I am so eager to train and to improve, and get my heart rate going up, and the adrenaline. So when I can't train, I get frustrated :(
  • RachNRoll
    Options
    edit: but guys, I'm only a beginner here... I'm 73Kg, 1.69m and Squats (12x52.5 Kg); OHP (12x20Kg); Bench press (12x30Kg); Barbell row (12x35Kg); Deadlift (12x57.5Kg)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    RachNRoll wrote: »

I love powerlifting, and I am so eager to train and to improve, and get my heart rate going up, and the adrenaline. So when I can't train, I get frustrated :(

once you get a nutritional balance down, you should be able to cut and train without any problems, i do it all the time. Just change your mindset and realize you wont be making gains while you are cutting. its one or the other, but both feel great and neither is permanent you can flip flop any time you want. .
  • RachNRoll
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    RachNRoll wrote: »

once you get a nutritional balance down, you should be able to cut and train without any problems, i do it all the time. Just change your mindset and realize you wont be making gains while you are cutting. its one or the other, but both feel great and neither is permanent you can flip flop any time you want. .

Yeah, I guess you can say I'm eager, right? I want to make the gains after the summer, lean gains. I swear that I feel like I'm stronger, but my body just doesn't want to work for me :tired_face:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Given that you are a beginner you should fully expect to make strength progress while in a deficit. It will just happen more slowly compared to maintenance or surplus eating.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would take a 2 week maintenance phase where you bring calories to maintenance.
    After the maintenance break return to your previous calorie intake and make sure you're getting right around 1g/lb goal bodyweight in protein while sticking to your previous calorie target.

Your rate of weight loss at that intake is pretty reasonable.

If you are still having performance related issues I would tend to look at training volume/program design and make adjustments there.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I have been forever cutting (albeit rather lazily lately) and powerlifting for about 3 years. When my macros are on point, I rarely feel exhausted and am still able to make lifting progress (nothing like that first year though). When my macros suck, so does my lifting. My goal is 1500-1600 calories.
  • MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've been powerlifting and cutting since July. I've lost nearly 150lbs. Bench has decreased but squat and dead increased so much it more than makes up for that.

I started off not being able to bench the bar, couldn't hardly squat without weight and deadlifts didn't happen. Haha
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    OP a 4x12 routine is not really preparing you for "powerlifting." Most of what I have ever read consistently shows strength gains are greatest at 5-8 reps with proper rest between each set.

If you really want to powerlift, you have a lot to reexamine. Diet, routine, and form. Hip impingement during squats tells me something is wrong. Watch Rippetoe videos, and then watch them again. And then film yourself and watch it. And then watch Rippetoe. And then yourself. Repeat. I don't know how your rows are some of your best lifts, but I really get the feeling you have some imbalances going.

Powerlifting is about competing for the heaviest squat, deadlift, and bench. That is all it is about. Otherwise it's strength training. Both are fine, but the strategy you need and the advice and recommendations you will get will differ for these. If you are looking to get serious then you will need to really rethink what you are doing based on what you've posted
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Soon side steel pretty much nailed it.

My only thought is pick one. Run the program and don't lose weight as fast or focus on the deficit and realize your lifts will suck.
  • jennynunez77
    jennynunez77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weight 215lbs when i first started powerlifting. I still ate what i wanted but i wouldn't go overboard. Like for dinner i would eat off of a salad plate instead of a dinner plate and didnt go back for seconds. I plateaued at 180 and thats when i joined mfp. Now i weight 170 and i take in 1600 calories a day and i feel like i take in a sufficient amount of calories. Just do what feels good for you.