Not losing! #frustrated!

Options
I have been doing my fitness pal since 3/11 and have lost about 25 lbs. I have pretty much not lost anything in the past two weeks. I'm working out doing treadmil, hiking, zumba, taebo. I'm logging everything and weighing and measuring. I'm eating 1200 calories per day. Am I just at a plateau and if so for how long? Thank you!! This forum is always so helpful!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What's your height and weight now? If you are close to goal progress slows down. Stay patient and keep doing the right thing.
  • Eliza6898
    Eliza6898 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm not close at all!! Lol I wish I was but still probably 80 lbs away
  • Eliza6898
    Options
    Some people have suggested I have a cheat meal to shock my metabolism and others have said that it will take my body a few weeks to get use to my new weight before it starts losing again...but I figured you guys were the experts so I woukd ask here!!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't have the colorful chart but it will come along soon. If all your logging is accurate and honest and all your exercises vigorous you may be experiencing water gain in response to muscle injury or high salt intake. Either of these can cause water retention. And you're menses is also going to cause water gain. Two weeks is too little time to allow despair to set it. Stay on the plan.
  • mertayala
    mertayala Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can relate.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
  • Eliza6898
    Options
    I think I was just at a plateau. I had a cheat meal and have lost 3 lbs in 3 days. I'm wondering if 1200 calories is too little for me...thoughts?
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    A plateau is not losing for 6-8 weeks. You were NOT in a plateau.

Are you doing 1200 NET (after eating back exercise calories) or 1200 total calories?
  • geministyle67
    geministyle67 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know 1200 would be too little for me, and I only have 17 pounds to lose. I did the "Scooby" calculations for my age, height, weight, and activity level, and it gave me 1600 per day. So far, it is working!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I know 1200 would be too little for me, and I only have 17 pounds to lose. I did the "Scooby" calculations for my age, height, weight, and activity level, and it gave me 1600 per day. So far, it is working!

Agreed, I only have like maybe 8 pounds left and there's no way I would eat at 1,200 a day. I tried that once and I very nearly passed out lol. I'm at about 1,500-1,600 a day.

To the OP: I would check in to how many calories you can actually eat per day as 1,200 is the bare minimum. As already noted, check out the Scooby calculator (just google it) and plug in your stats.

You won't see the scale go down every week - it fluctuates, that's normal - but notice the overall trend. And having a cheat meal to "boost" your metabolism is bro science and won't help weight loss. So don't listen to that person.
  • level3tjg
    level3tjg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just stay in a calorie deficit. The weight will come off eventually. I lost 65 lbs in just over 6 months. Some weeks I'd lose nothing. A few times I gained weight. Just stay the course and eventually the ship will right itself.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Eliza6898 wrote: »
    Some people have suggested I have a cheat meal to shock my metabolism and others have said that it will take my body a few weeks to get use to my new weight before it starts losing again...but I figured you guys were the experts so I woukd ask here!!!

If your metabolism needs shocking you have much greater problems going on than lack of weight loss. Metabolisms can't be shocked or kick-started. You're not a motorcycle. ;)

If your weight loss has stalled, the answer you're looking for is in the chart posted above. ^^^ :)
  • Eliza6898
    Options
    So I did the scooby calculator thank you for the suggestion but he says to eat 900 more calories than my fitness pal?? What gives!!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Eliza6898 wrote: »
    So I did the scooby calculator thank you for the suggestion but he says to eat 900 more calories than my fitness pal?? What gives!!

MFP does not include exercise calories in your initial daily 1200 calorie goal. That's why if you exercise, they appear as additional calories to eat back on your MFP goal.
    The Scooby calculator has your exercise included with it, so if Scooby gives you 2100 calories as a goal, you would not eat back exercise calories. Those are already built in. Your daily goal would simply be 2100 each day, period.
  • Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'll start by saying what works for one does not work for everyone, but getting different options are so worth it. I read someone posted a while back that just a little change up can help boost you again. I didn't see the scale move for 2 weeks. Then I changed my plan for 2 lb weight loss per week to .5 loss. It upped me to 1380 calories and I took a 4 day break from the gym. Went back the last couple days but kept my 1380. Now dropped almost 2 pounds 2 pounds. Will give it a go for a bit. My body was telling me it wasn't getting enough food.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I see so many people saying "my scales didn't move for X time, then I did y and it shifted so y is the answer". It reminds me of the research done on back pain, where recovery times between those who received no treatment and those who referred to osteopaths were compared. There was little difference as the time period for referral and treatment fell into the natural self-resolution window, and, in fact, those patients would likely have healed without referral. However, those patients that did refer made a correlation between the osteo treatment and the resolution and could not be dissuaded of the false belief.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Can you make your food diary public?