Trouble working chest hard on bench press

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    mdp427 wrote: »
    I guess I'm thinking that I'm having trouble because I'm seeing really nice growth and definition results everywhere except chest. So it naturally makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

I'm on a full body program and eating just below (-200 cals) maintenance. I realize I have to eat at a surplus to grow, but I seem to be getting some results despite that until my newbie gains wear off. I had a very poor muscle base to start, yet I was overweight by 25lbs or so.

I guess what I'm looking for is that feeling where I can't do another rep because my chest is exhausted and NOT because another muscle group is exhausted. I feel like that's where I am with it right now. I hope that makes sense.

Here's the thing. Your triceps and delts are smaller muscles. It's the nature of the beast on bench that they are going to exhaust before your pecs. Every single time that I've had to end a bench session early due to muscle exhaustion (and it only happens a couple times a year), has been because the secondary movers are exhausted and my dorm is going to break down.

nods.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    mdp427 wrote: »
    I guess I'm thinking that I'm having trouble because I'm seeing really nice growth and definition results everywhere except chest. So it naturally makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

I'm on a full body program and eating just below (-200 cals) maintenance. I realize I have to eat at a surplus to grow, but I seem to be getting some results despite that until my newbie gains wear off. I had a very poor muscle base to start, yet I was overweight by 25lbs or so.

I guess what I'm looking for is that feeling where I can't do another rep because my chest is exhausted and NOT because another muscle group is exhausted. I feel like that's where I am with it right now. I hope that makes sense.

spend time doing accessory work on those other muscles, After my compound lift, i spend an entire workout just on triceps, and an entire workout on back/shoulders. Focus on building those up. If you find a program you like, it will detail out what to do . And you gotta eat.