All these 1200 calorie diets ... what happens afterwards?

Options
I see that a lot of people here eat 1200 calories. What happens after you reach your goal weight? Do you go back to eating normally? Do you then gain the weight back bit by bit? How hard is it to maintain? I'm just curious. I'm doing a Bulk with a weight lifting program and it has me eating 2000 calories. Then when I cut, I'm supposed to drop it to 1600 calories. How do people survive on 1200 calories? It seems you really have no where to go once you get to that calorie range. If your diet stops working you can't go lower.

Replies

• aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I ask myself this all the time. While starvation mode isn't real, your body does get more efficient with fewer calories if you underfeed it, so a lot of these people will end up with a much lower maintenance calorie range after dieting.
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I see that a lot of people here eat 1200 calories. What happens after you reach your goal weight? Do you go back to eating normally? Do you then gain the weight back bit by bit? How hard is it to maintain? I'm just curious. I'm doing a Bulk with a weight lifting program and it has me eating 2000 calories. Then when I cut, I'm supposed to drop it to 1600 calories. How do people survive on 1200 calories? It seems you really have no where to go once you get to that calorie range. If your diet stops working you can't go lower.

If 2000 is a bulk for you then how is 1600 a cut ? What is you maintenance ? Cause that is not much of a differential to see significant change. The different between my bulk and cut is about 1000 calls.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

I'm actually doing weight watchers and they give me less calories because since I've been on here counting calories I'm actually eating over my daily allotment on weight watchers. So I've been mostly maintaining on here with 1200 calories. I've noticed that recently and going to start eating less than 1200.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    pcpop7 wrote: »

If 2000 is a bulk for you then how is 1600 a cut ? What is you maintenance ? Cause that is not much of a differential to see significant change. The different between my bulk and cut is about 1000 calls.

Why don't you ask Beachbody. That's my calorie range I was given for their program.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    After losing the weight you start eating at maintenance which is higher than 1,200. For me it's about 1,600 for maintenance.
  • kimdawnhayden
    Options

Why don't you ask Beachbody. That's my calorie range I was given for their program.

I asked you cause it's you that's on squealing about it.

I don't even understand your comment. Plus I think you're probably a troll. So please excuse yourself and play somewhere else.
  • pcpop7
    Options

I don't even understand your comment. Plus I think you're probably a troll. So please excuse yourself and play somewhere else.

Awe bless. Don't understand ma numbers, don't understand comment..... Ask somebody else.

Public forum and all ya know. I suggest you think about your own numbers and what they do for you rather than moaning about other people diets.

As they say. Do you.
  • kimdawnhayden
    Options
    After losing the weight you start eating at maintenance which is higher than 1,200. For me it's about 1,600 for maintenance.

Do you find yourself gaining weight or did you have to do more exercise to maintain?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

I can't speak for her or Beachbody but my bulk calories were usually 2200ish and my cut calories are around 1800 to 1900. When bulking I had a goal to gain half a pound per week and when cutting I aim for a quarter to half a pound per week. However, I'm pretty lean already and at 5'3" and 112 pounds I don't really need to exactly cut anything.
  • pcpop7
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

I can't speak for her or Beachbody but my bulk calories were usually 2200ish and my cut calories are around 1800 to 1900. When bulking I had a goal to gain half a pound per week and when cutting I aim for a quarter to half a pound per week. However, I'm pretty lean already and at 5'3" and 112 pounds I don't really need to exactly cut anything.
    That makes sense. Thanks my numbers are probably wider cause I am a man. It makes sense when going for a smaller bulk amount.

I was thinking it was maybe cardio and that is how 1200 people do it too. They add cardio to boost the numbers.

Thanks
  • kimdawnhayden
    edited May 2016
    Options

Okay so your difference is around 400 calories for a cut also. Good to know.
    synacious wrote: »

• critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Well, some people hold back on cardio - and save it to break plateaus/stubborn fat at low bf % when the risks of cutting more cals outweigh the benefits.

ETA: And then, at the end of a 1200 cal restriction phase, you ideally return slowly to maintenance level cals. Not necessarily a weight gain situation.

If you're doing P90x (or is Beachbody a program itself?) - Anyway, if you're working out and burning 300 - 500 cals per workout, your deficit is about the same as someone not working out and eating 1200/day.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Like most, I've had to cut calories as I've lost. I'm down to 1,350 per day now and am losing around 0.2 lb. per week. It is likely that I will soon have to reduce to 1,200 to see any weight loss at all... that might even end up being my maintenance calorie intake by the time I reach my goal.

I'm different than you, though, which is the only answer this thread needs.
  • kimdawnhayden
    Options

I don't know. What happens after your bulk when you reach your goal weight? Are you just going to go back to what you were doing before and lose all of your progress? Won't you lose muscle bit by bit? I'm just curious.

I mean, it's fairly insulting to suggest that all these people on 1200 calories are going to fail, isnt' it? Some probably will and some probably won't. Just like any other diet or program. 1200 calories does not work for me. Anything below 1400 and I am Crabby Von CrabbyPants and want to gnaw off my own arm. But I'm taller than average and need the extra calories to sustain me. 1200 is perfectly acceptable for many people.

Ease of maintenance seems to depend a great deal more on mentality and how much work people have put into changing their habits and behaviors than which calorie goal they choose, ime. Find a sustainable plan. Learn everything you can. Adopt new habits and learn to adapt them if they stop being effective. Have a plan for maintenance and stick to it. That's key whether you're cutting on 1200 calories or 1600.

Yes that is an excellent way to look at it. I know that I will always need to do something to maintain. I just don't think I could live at 1200 calories or at least for not long. That is a good question about what to do after my cut. On to the next program I guess.