Crossfit

Options
Does anyone here do crossfit? I am currently debating on trying it out because it seems better then an average gym

Replies

• kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do a crossfit-esque program. It's the same style as crossfit bit but the workouts are built a little bit different.

I personally love it and in the seven months of doing this have become a "gym" person. I love my gym days and get anxious when I miss a class. The gym I go to has amazing energy and is super supportive and motivating, so that helps too. I also enjoy having a class atmosphere and find it motivating (some people hate working out in a group though!). I tried going to another gym for a while but didn't push myself enough or I would skip a lot.

I was never a fit or active person but i just modify moves I am unable to do and work towards doing them without modifications.

That's just my experience with it but I know other people who just didn't like it
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it awhile and I love it. The community is great, I scale a lot of the movements...I have a super conservative trainer and that's helpful and important. I modify when needed and am in touch with my body so I don't overtrain or hurt myself. I'm competitive and I find it's a great way to push myself. Lots of naysayers out there but unless you are a lemming, you should be able to participate and have fun and get fit(ter).
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Try it. Every gym and box is going to be a bit different so you won't know until you give it a go
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    IMO it is good to do anything that will keep you consistently motivated. If you don't do well working out on your own, and lack motivation sometimes, the camaraderie will help out a lot. People will hold you accountable, not make you feel bad, but make you feel missed.

I do not like crossfit, I do not advocate it, but it can do wonders for people who lack motivation and consistency.
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    cross fit is good for losing weight but also brilliant if you want to get an injury.. the bar is low for many trainers and it does not in anyway promote proper form ...
  • hollie5by5
    hollie5by5 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started in January and love it!! My only regret is that i didn't start it sooner..

I need the push that i get it the class otherwise i give up to easily.. Definitely recommend it x
  • Arucard5
    Arucard5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started my first class today....kicked my *kitten* lol everyone was friendly so I'm definitely doing it. Amnr what do you mean they don't do proper form? I dead lifted and literally got instructed until I was in proper form
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think the reason Crossfit has a bad rep is down to the trainers. They create such a hyped up mentality, that you must push yourself to the absolute limits of your physical ability, that it promotes bad form and injury. That being said I've also met some extremely knowledgeable Crossfit trainers and the movements they promote in their workouts are great movements to learn. Whats not to like about deadlifts, shoulder presses and pull ups. I used Crossfit workouts as my cardio sessions during my last weight loss. Workouts are high intensity and last between 7-1 minutes. Do 2 of them and you've just burnt a good number of calories.

• Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I also had never heard of rhabdomyolysis until I came across it while reading an excerpt of someone who was in the hospital from crossfit and had been diagnosed with it. It apparently isn't a fluke thing and occasionally(verrrrrry rarely) happens. Lets be real, it can happen during anything, but I really was like, wow, thats new.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do it off and on. (Tend to just go to the Oly classes now, which are good at my box and only do traditional CF once in a while if the schedule works and I like the workout.) It really makes a difference whether you have a good box with good trainers or not. Do you know anything about the options available to you?

Also, there's a good CF group here -- just search Crossfit in the group section.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Arucard5 wrote: »
    I started my first class today....kicked my *kitten* lol everyone was friendly so I'm definitely doing it. Amnr what do you mean they don't do proper form? I dead lifted and literally got instructed until I was in proper form

I won't speak for him, but I'd say the same thing. My position is that many of those trainers are not qualified or trained to be teaching others on their form. I have seen many a crossfit trainer advocate squatting with your knees past your toes with obscene weights on people's shoulders, bent backs while deadlifting, you get the picture. You'll occasionally get someone who knows what they're doing, but crossfit is notorious for incorrect form and resulting injuries.
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Arucard5 wrote: »

If you are doing timed dead lifts you will most likely not keep your proper form all through .. especially if you start getting tired and have a bad trainer or no trainer

don't get me wrong I see gym bros try and stack on loads of weight and arch their back like a cat when they lift as well .. but dead lifts are meant to be controlled and slow with your form spot on .. it shouldn't be rushed or timed for you to beat a personal best .. same goes for squats
  • amelianola
    amelianola Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started a month ago and love
    Love
    Love
    It!! I'm not in shape but can tell a big diff already. Love my trainers. They make all the difference
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I used to do it, I liked that it was a really hard work out that varied a lot and was scaled so you could see steady progress.

I didn't like the cheering and encouragement etc that goes on when the people who finish first are encouraging the people who are still going. I'd rather finish up a tough work out on my own without an audience shouting and cheering like mad people. Also didn't like the fairly constant push to go paleo, especially when I am vegetarian. I did CF at a box (as opposed to classes that normal gyms are doing that kind of copy aspects of CF) and I found that there was a bit of a subliminal push to embrace the Crossfit "lifestyle", some refer to it as drinking the CrossFit cool aid.

I injured myself (not really CF related) and used that as a natural break from CF and never went back but I still use some of the exercises I learnt there.
  • alone_aqua
    alone_aqua Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    - it's hard to admit but there's a competitive element to me that won't allow me to quit, or even take breaks in the box (CF) the way I do on my own. I always worked out alone, hated the thought of a "community" of people cheering me on - but I never push myself as hard alone as I do there. Never hurts to try something. But in my opinion, the CF box you choose matters. If I hadn't found the box I'm in now I don't know if I would've stuck with it.