Should I stop losing weight and start maintaining? I keep getting hungrier the more weight I lose!

Options
2»

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    looking at your profile picture..You seem pretty lean as it is. 115 is just a number. At your weight and bodyfat, it would probably be wise to move up to maintenance and do a progressive resistance program. You will be able to recomp a little and get that extra bit of definition without having to go to a super low body weight.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    mirihawk wrote: »
    I'm 5'2" and when I was 135 my doctor said I was too thin. Sounds like you need a different weight goal . - Disclaimer, I am not your doctor. - have you discussed your weight with your doctor at a yearly physical and set a goal together? I would recommend it, and also getting blood work done to make sure you have other health things in order, like not being anemic and having healthy cholesterol levels.... just my opinion. Good luck!

Thanks for that advice. My doctor nor nurse ever brought it up so I will next time. My blood pressure and blood sugar is always low whenever checked though. Idk if my weight has anything to do with it.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and when I was 135 my doctor said I was too thin. Sounds like you need a different weight goal . - Disclaimer, I am not your doctor. - have you discussed your weight with your doctor at a yearly physical and set a goal together? I would recommend it, and also getting blood work done to make sure you have other health things in order, like not being anemic and having healthy cholesterol levels.... just my opinion. Good luck!

I'm not trying to be rude but 5'2" and 135 is not "too thin" by any means. It's at the high end of normal and almost into being overweight according to the BMI charts. Granted all bodies are different but to be too thin at that weight for that height would make you an outlier. There's nothing wrong with being 135 at 5'2" but I find it quite odd that any doctor would categorize that as too thin.

Regardless, OP, I agree with everyone telling you to lift and focus on recomp. I'm 5'3.5" and fluctuate between 110 and 111 pounds. My final cut goal was 105 but I'm finding that on some days I'm just way too hungry to even have a deficit of 250 calories. I've stopped fighting my body and I'll just eat however much my body wants for the day; the most I've ever had to go was a 300 surplus. I do lift regularly and the changes to my body composition have been fantastic. The final cut to 105 was in the hopes that the bit of fat on my thighs covering the lovely leg muscles I've built would come off. I'm finding that it still is without trying to get to an arbitrary scale weight. I'd rather be patient and satiated than hungry and finding that at my goal weight my body still doesn't look as I expected it to.
  • eandasher
    eandasher Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You should also consider your lean body mass: http://scoobysworkshop.com/body-fat-calculator/ the calipers are only like 5-8 dollars on amazon. Figure out your actual lean body mass, mostly for 'gaining muscle' you can do big compound movements such as dead lifts, squats (I prefer squat machine), bench press, and clean and jerks. For you I would recommend doing 3x3, 3sets of heavy weights for 3 reps, at your size maybe try doing just the empty bar. If you can do that easy add on 10-25lbs, but also if your campus has a gym they probably have student trainers there! These are really cheap! I got mine at school for 20 dollars a session worth every penny! I just met with them every 2 weeks asked for a workout plan for the next 2 weeks, went though it once with them writing everything down. then pushed myself to do it. after you have some basics you can venture onto youtube and just type in whatever area you want to improve example 'biceps workout'... Also you could be thirsty make sure your getting proper water if you're not you'll be hungry as well one estimate I saw for you said like 2.4 liters but do some research.
  • mirihawk
    mirihawk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. At 135 I was a size 7; cold all the time; got sick easily; had no energy. I have large hips and big breasts, I'm really not meant to be that boney. I'm overweight now - but I'm not really looking to be that much of a stick this time around. Just a smaller hourglass than I am right now. Those charts are not for everyone.
  • mirihawk
    mirihawk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    Thanks for that advice. My doctor nor nurse ever brought it up so I will next time. My blood pressure and blood sugar is always low whenever checked though. Idk if my weight has anything to do with it.
    I don't mean things that you can check at home. Although I'm glad those are OK! I mean things you can't see yourself. Cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. It's great to start taking care of yourself when you are young! I'm older now - sometimes I just wish I were as thin as the first time I thought I was fat, LOL!

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Those last few pounds are hardest to lose. you'll def want to lift heavier if you want to gain some more muscle. up the protein and the fat, while keeping the carbs low. this is almost like a pre-contest cut when you are that lean and trying to get leaner.
    How can you give advice on what she should do to her macronutrients if you don't know how much she's consuming right now? For all you know her fats, protein, and carbs are perfect where they are. Also, it is not necessary to go low carb in order to get contest lean.

@FeedMeFish
    As others have pointed out, if you don't look lean enough at this point, you probably aren't going to by losing more weight. You should focus on muscle gaining. This will allow you to look leaner at a higher body weight. When people say lift "heavy" this is kind of misleading. Heavy is of course subjective. What's heavy to you is not going to be the same as what is heavy to someone else. What you should do is lift weights on a program that focuses on getting stronger over time. This is known as progressive tension overload and in addition to diet, is the key to gaining muscle. You should eat a small surplus (200 or so calories to start). I would suggest any proven beginners lifting program such as Stronglifts, ICF 5x5, or starting strength. All those programs have you hitting all body parts 3x a week and encourage progressive overload. After 6-12 months of eating in the small surplus and lifting, evaluate your physique and decide how to proceed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The OP is getting too thin.
    5'2" and 135 wouldn't normally be considered too thin, in fact, it's a few pounds from overweight according to BMI. (Granted there are outliers). I'm 5'6.5" and 135 and not too thin.