Should I care?

Options
2»

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for mixing up the workouts. Shock the body a bit.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    OP - you are very polite.

I must say that the advice that you're quite overweight and haven't been losing, so you should 'cheat' more does not make a lot of sense to me. Perhaps it does in your context.

I would also suggest that you look at your percent of calories for carbs. If you have been that heavy, you may be somewhat insulin resistant. Lowering carbs to 35% may help you burn more and store less fat. That's true even if you're not insulin resistant - it helped me a lot. I highly recommend the book Why We Get Fat as food for though (as it were). If you look at the NIH website on weight less, they essentially back up the findings reported in the book. It's not a diet book. It's a very easy to read book about how and when our body stores and burns fat. It gives you good ideas about how that might apply to your life. It's probably in your library.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you've had body composition analysis done and I was shocked at the difference in my weight goal that it made. Also, they told me to stay away from a scale and only use measurements to judge and/or pics. Sounds like you're in that mind frame anyway. There's been great advice here, but have you thought about investing in a personal trainer - even for 3 sessions to get some new ideas from a professional. I just bought a 20 sessions package, which included the body composition training, and I'm SO HAPPY I DID!!
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    OP, how tall are you? If your BMR is 2000, your TDEE is going to be much, much higher given your exercise schedule. You shouldn't be aiming for a deficit from your BMR, but rather your TDEE. There are a lot of TDEE calculators out there, for example this one:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    I put in 230lbs, 41 years old, male, and guessed you were 5'7 which set your BMR close to 2000. Your TDEE at 3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise is 3208, 20% cut from that is roughly 2500 calories to lose weight. Even if you only worked out 1-3 hours a week as "lightly active," 20% cut is 2276.

Sometimes our bodies just adapt to our routine. Do you have a rest day? Do you weigh out your portions or guesstimate?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would be wary of the "eat more" advice. I tried that and started gaining...

It really is trial and error; you have to try something stick with it for four to six weeks and see how your body reacts...
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I must say that the advice that you're quite overweight and haven't been losing, so you should 'cheat' more does not make a lot of sense to me. Perhaps it does in your context.

I would also suggest that you look at your percent of calories for carbs. If you have been that heavy, you may be somewhat insulin resistant. Lowering carbs to 35% may help you burn more and store less fat. That's true even if you're not insulin resistant - it helped me a lot. I highly recommend the book Why We Get Fat as food for though (as it were). If you look at the NIH website on weight less, they essentially back up the findings reported in the book. It's not a diet book. It's a very easy to read book about how and when our body stores and burns fat. It gives you good ideas about how that might apply to your life. It's probably in your library.

good stuff, thank you. I will check it out. At this time, I'm averaging (or trying to) a 40/30/30, carbs/protien/fat. Thank you for your time and I will look into it.
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    OP, how tall are you? If your BMR is 2000, your TDEE is going to be much, much higher given your exercise schedule. You shouldn't be aiming for a deficit from your BMR, but rather your TDEE. There are a lot of TDEE calculators out there, for example this one:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    I put in 230lbs, 41 years old, male, and guessed you were 5'7 which set your BMR close to 2000. Your TDEE at 3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise is 3208, 20% cut from that is roughly 2500 calories to lose weight. Even if you only worked out 1-3 hours a week as "lightly active," 20% cut is 2276.

Sometimes our bodies just adapt to our routine. Do you have a rest day? Do you weigh out your portions or guesstimate?

I am 6 ft tall (72 in). I will take a hard look at TDEE. Funny thing is I joined fitness pal because I discovered I was taking in too few calories. When I'm at home, Sunday is my rest day after a long run on Saturday (7-10 miles). For the next couple of months I won't be home and haven't taken a day off (due to boredom) in a couple of weeks. I was thinking last night I need to take a rest day and will probably start that this Sunday.

@leannerae40

Yes I have had a body composition (not in the last 5-6 months though). In the military, we are very fortunate to have free access to dieticians and exercise physiologists, and I have taken advantage of this benefit. Your advice is sound and when I get home I will schedule another "bod Pod" test to see where my body is at regarding lean muscle mass vs fat.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    The scale hasn't moved since mid Jun (230 lbs.)

My standard week consist of the following:

Every other day I lift, full body, 30 sec rest periods.
    3 sets of 8-12 reps.
    2 x chest
    2 x back
    2 x biceps
    2 x triceps
    5 x legs
    1 x ab machine
    1 x back extension

I always give a 48 hour rest period between lifts.
    A BMR of 2000 seems very high. Do you mean TDEE?

I would suggest sticking closer to 3x8 than 3x12, even try going down to 5x5. Once you can do 3x8, up the weight until you can't. Rinse and repeat.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

This is something I was thinking but written so eloquently, I'll just say strong agree, lol! I couldn't see your diary, so I didn't add this to the conversation.

If it's your waist that's widening, this may be something to consider. I lifted 3 x weekly, have an active job (dog walker) and even after 4 steady months of weighing all my food, portion control, not eating out, and trying to nail down the problem using a fitbit and HR monitor when appropriate, still didn't see a loss.

Turned out that my carbs & ensuing metabolic dysfunction were holding me back. Re-arranged my macros & everything is working as it should, weight is coming off easily and reliably. It worked the same way for my husband.

Just something to consider, when all else fails. I really wish I'd considered this a helluvalot earlier than I did, I might've saved myself from a permanent diagnosis as opposed to a transient one.