Starting with a high BMI

Options
2»

Replies

• tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started with a BMI of 42 (it's now 25). I lost the first 35lbs just walking or using the elliptical for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. After 35lbs, I added in weight lifting. Then once I was down around 75lbs, I started running.
    I would recommend starting out slow, with something you enjoy doing, or at least don't mind doing. Listen to your body and increase accordingly. Keep your food intake under control, because that's the #1 most important aspect of weight loss. Best of luck :)
  • kelpar721
    kelpar721 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My bmi is 49 right now. I just want to feel healthy again. I need to take care of the mental health portion too because depression got me here in the first place!! You guys are so motivating!

Girl I feel you. That's why I am "starting over" for the millionth time. Its depressing to think that 1.5 years ago I was doing really well with my fitness and eating.. and down 35 pounds. Now I've gained it all back and THEN some. Depression got me BIG time. I'm still struggling with it.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Was 337 last June, now I'm right about 237..literally 0 additional exercise, 90% of my free time is spent sitting, I've lost everything by maintaining a calorie deficit.

Not suggesting this approach, but just saying it's totally viable. Good luck!!
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You have to ease into working out if you have been sedentary for a long time. Going for high intensity training will easily burn you out and you'll just give up because you will be too sore to workout. Trust me, I know! I've been there! Workout really hard for 2 days...binge eat and lay up for 4 more months before starting again. I started with a BMI over 30 (I'm 5'5 and was almost 200 pounds) almost 6 months ago (now I'm down around 160s). I started with walking and eating at a deficit for a few weeks. Then I eased into exercising with my body weight and using equipment. One day at a time!