Starting Fresh (300+)

Cavy1234
Cavy1234 Posts: 28 Member
I'm over 300lbs, and I really, desperately need to get this weight off. I know my portion sizes are too big. I've been searching all over the internet for ideas on that, and I saw a few about using smaller plates and bowls. I have those, so that would be an easy change to make (as long as I can remember not to pile that tiny plate up 8 inches high with food! lol). I've got my measuring cups and spoons out on the counter, so I can easily grab them and measure my food also. Exercising is also a problem for me at my size, so I'm going to have to start slow and easy. I have some arthritis, naturally, from carrying this weight for too long, so my ankles and knees like to scream at me when I stand up. :noway: I do have access to a pool, though, and swimming is joint-friendly, and a slow walk here or there won't hurt me, I'm sure. Anything is good to start, right? :smile:

Those are my two big issues heading into this, but hopefully in time those mountains will become little speed bumps that I can just step right over and leave behind me. I'm up for this. One meal at a time, one day at a time, I'll change this body of mine. :happy:

Replies

• I'm proud of you for getting started!! Remember, you don't have to be "perfect" It's a learn as you go life-style change. Good luck :)
  • Goal4Laura
    Goal4Laura Posts: 7 Member
    Hi there! I would really like to join you. I have been using this program for a while, but am just now getting serious about my goal.
    You see, I just turned 54. By my 55th birthday I would like to have lost 140 lbs. That gives me a year.

So, let's encourage each other and get this weight off. We can do it, ten pounds at a time.
    Let's go for the first ten, okay?

I started on Saturday, and have lost two pounds so far. You are right, it is all about portion control and exercise. I got back on the treadmill and am eating better.

So, we can do this! Let's do it together. I look forward to hearing from you and will check in each day.

Take care,
    Laura
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Hi and welcome!

Can I suggest you read every post on this blog:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BeingKevin

He started at 450 lbs (at least), and started losing weight just by walking and cutting his calories a little. Truly inspiring.

You can totally do this, you just have to want it.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    I don't want to alarm you... but I think you may be a dog...

But seriously, congratulations on taking the first steps!
  • Hi, I too have a lot to lose and have arthritis. But take it in small goals. I do 5 lbs at a time. Doesn't seem so daunting. swimming is excellent exercise for your achy joints. I swim as much as I can, and I also will walk in the pool, hang on to the sides and just kick my legs till I can't kick anymore.
    Make sure you drink lots of water and log everything!
  • cortana01
    cortana01 Posts: 55
    Hi Cavy, I started out just like you with my knees screaming in pain if I had to walk up stairs and my heart about to burst out of my chest after 2minutes of physical activity. I'm down 80lbs so far and I the difference in mobility and pain is huge. Sending you a friend request x
  • Laac68
    Laac68 Posts: 55
    That is what I am doing daily. Thank you for sharing your posts.:smile:
  • Alice_in_Wndrlnd
    Alice_in_Wndrlnd Posts: 47 Member
    Welcome :)

I sent you a FR. I have been on MFP just over a year and I'm slowly getting towards my goal. I started off over 300lbs too.

Alice.
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Welcome and I would tell you good luck....but you don't need luck. I'll be cheering for you!!
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Sounds like you are taking all the steps in the right direction!! You'll be feeling better in no time!
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Exercise can be hard when getting started...

I found a good dvd with the unfortunate name of :) of "heavy weight yoga" the instructor is Abby Lenz she has modifications for beginners and covers lots of possible physical limitations ... you can do it in a chair even in bed.. It really helped get me moving..

All the best with your journey
  • jenjen828
    jenjen828 Posts: 58 Member
    I am starting my 3rd week on MFP, and would love to have you as a friend. I log EVERYDAY. I exercise at least 3-5 times a week, and I comment on all of my friends post. If you want motivation and encouragement, feel free to add me. I know I love the motivation and encouragement that I get from my friends.
  • Cavy1234
    LOL! Thanks so much for the laugh. :laugh: I should really change my profile picture. That's my handsome old furbaby. I was looking for a good picture, and I plopped his in there. :wink:
  • Cavy1234
    LOL! Thanks so much for the laugh. :laugh: I should really change my profile picture. That's my handsome old furbaby. I was looking for a good picture, and I plopped his in there. :wink:

Oops...forgot to quote EnviousDan when I wrote this. :laugh:

Thanks so much to everyone for the support. I feel so motivated and inspired right now! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • You are awesome! You encourage me. Keep the faith and don't take down. It's not about how many steps you take but it's about taking the steps. Keep moving forward!
    t