Calorie needs while breastfeeding

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
ive decided to finally lose this baby weight and I've been counting calories for the last 3 weeks, eating about 2000 calories a day. I figured if I eat around maintenance that with the calories I burn by breastfeedjng will be enough for me to lose weight. I've lost quite a bit so far (6 pounds in 3 weeks) however it seems like my milk supply has dropped! Dont know if it's related to my food intake or something else... Suggestions? Do I need to eat more? Also according to my Fitbit I burn a little more, like 2300 a day.

Replies

• Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Talk to your Doctor.
  • JLPersall
    JLPersall Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would try to stick to a 1-1.5 pound a week loss to not lower supply
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    And make sure you are drinking lots of water. What makes you think your supply has dropped? Is this a very young baby? If so, poop and pee output is a good indicator that you are providing enough. If it's an older baby, it's harder to tell. However, I would first make sure you are drinking a lot of water.
  • hesn92
    edited May 2016
    Options
    And make sure you are drinking lots of water. What makes you think your supply has dropped? Is this a very young baby? If so, poop and pee output is a good indicator that you are providing enough. If it's an older baby, it's harder to tell. However, I would first make sure you are drinking a lot of water.
    Not really he's 5 months. Because I haven't been able to pump enough for what he drinks at daycare during the day whereas before a couple weeks ago I could always pump way more than enough. I've been back at work for 3 months now.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You could also take some lactation supplements. Fenugreek is a big one that stimulates prolactin. It helps some, not others (of course). I think I took it in combination with fennell and eating rolled oats with brewer's yeast. I wouldn't add oats if they don't fit what you're doing nutritionally, though. I'm not sure that oatmeal was helpful. Some people swear by it...

Has your LO started solids at all? That could also explain a drop in milk supply.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Try upping your calories a little bit. I was eating 2100-2300 calories/ day and lost weight at about .5 lbs/-1 lbs week until I was 108 lbs and 5'4. The solution to under supply is usually to eat more, fenugreek will increase your milk, but you need nutrients from food for quality breastmilk.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    kellymom has some good resources and is pretty highly regarded. Here are a few articles you might want to read:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/change-milkfat/

The links at the bottom of those are good. Agree with janjunie that you should increase cals if you think that your calorie reduction is reducing your supply.

As an aside, prior to becoming a mom, I thought lactation worked like a constantly refilling jug of milk... that it was just there to use in ample amounts. Ha. Ha... Ha!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    6 lbs in 3 weeks is quite a bit. I would add an extra couple hundred calories a day and see how that goes. Sometimes your supply can take a hit if you reduce calories significantly suddenly. Make some lactation cookies and add in some pumping sessions on the weekends to boost your supply.
  • hesn92
    Options
    Thank you all. I know 6 pounds is a lot, I was only going for a pound a week but apparently I burn more calories than I thought. I just got this Fitbit a week ago for my birthday. I will try eating 2200-2300 for a while and see if that helps
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You probably also know this but pumping is much less efficient than what a nursing baby will take. Your supply will decrease over time from exclusively pumping. I didn't try to lose weight until my daughter was 7 months and partially on solids because I wanted to maintain her milk supply.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Panda_brat wrote: »
    Talk to your Doctor.

This is the only good answer
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    LLT38 wrote: »
    You probably also know this but pumping is much less efficient than what a nursing baby will take. Your supply will decrease over time from exclusively pumping. I didn't try to lose weight until my daughter was 7 months and partially on solids because I wanted to maintain her milk supply.

Not true. I'm 18 months and counting of exclusively pumping with milk to spare. I've heard this said before, it hooey from people who think putting baby to the breast is best.