CHIPS AND SALSA?

2»

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Make room for it. OR, make your own with a low calorie tortilla. For example, take a 50-80 calorie tortilla, cut it up into pieces, spray with cooking spray and add salt or seasoning, bake in the oven, flip once, bake more, they crisp up like chips. Serve with salsa. Low calorie treat. You can even have two tortillas and salsa for <200 calories which makes quite a bit of chips. :)

Why did I never think of doing this?!?!?!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I eat chips and salsa all of the time. I give myself a serving that is appropriate for me...I don't just eat out of the bag or dump the whole bag into a bowl...portion control.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Portion out how many servings of the chips you want and put them in a large bowl and crush them a bit. Then dump some Pico in it instead of the wet salsa. Then chop up a whole head of romaine lettuce and dump that in for more crunch.

Drizzle some Cholula or hot sauce of your choice and stir it up.

Eat it with a big spoon and crunch your cravings away.
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    edited May 2016
    ridge4mfp wrote: »
    I second the vote on Special K cracker chips. For salsa dipping, the Sea Salt flavor goes well.
    I love salsa with 2 or 3 servings of Special K cracker chips. Cuts the craving like no other.

Sometimes I cut up cubes of cheese and it's dinner.

Wow! I eat these and never thought about using them for salsa. Thanks for the great idea!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Portion out how many servings of the chips you want and put them in a large bowl and crush them a bit. Then dump some Pico in it instead of the wet salsa. Then chop up a whole head of romaine lettuce and dump that in for more crunch.

Drizzle some Cholula or hot sauce of your choice and stir it up.

Eat it with a big spoon and crunch your cravings away.

This is a good idea. I did it with pork rinds recently. This would work well for me though, thanks!
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Veggies and salsa!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Well, of course, you must not banish chips and salsa from your house. I don't know what you have in Washington but you may be able to find authentic salsa which has zero added sugar of any kind. The salsa which includes sugar is just candy. My Clint's Texas Hot Salsa notes that it is "No Sugar. Low Sodium. Gluten Free." What's not to love about that? The issue to address is the chips. One serving is 1 oz, about 8 or so chips. It still counts as a serving of bread. If you are controlling for bread in your food plan, that's to be counted against your budget. There may exist somewhere a gluten-free tortilla-wannabe, but I don't know if you care for that topic.
  • justinrye
    justinrye Posts: 61 Member
    Dish out 5 spoon full of salsa into a dish and count out 20 tortilla chips and put the bag away. Sometimes this will be a snack I take to work. It's a nice treat
  • jsands1991
    jsands1991 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks everybody for your advice! I got some great ideas
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    maaaasha wrote: »
    These are worth the calories to me lol

Same! I weighed out my salsa and my chips, and even the guacamole (more than I expected!!). You could always get them from a restaurant and weigh them so you only buy a small portion at once.