What is your go to exercise ?

Options
I'm curious what is everyone's go to exercise? And what, if any, are your favorite core exercises?

Replies

• pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Right now I just run, but I plan on adding in something else this winter when I can't get outside. I'm thinking about the power 90 workout.

What is yours?
  • lottogirly
    lottogirly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Walking has always been my go to workout but now I'm going for calesthenics (sp?) cause I need to rebuild my muscles. I am aware this burns little to no calories according to MFP. But I think that is wrong cuz otherwise how come I get so cut when I do them? It's got to be burning something somewhere.
  • lottogirly
    Options
    And basically insanity is just hyped up calisthenics too and look how many ppl burn away the calories on that?
    I was hoping to get more simple ideas for what's working for everyone here.

Running is a great way to burn fat. I wish I could again. But I get these little palpatations that hurt in my chest and have to quit. I'm no stranger to running. I was the back up runner for the 10k in the world games in 1991 representing the US ARMY. I know about the pains, sweat and burning of a good run. But this is something different entirely. So I don't do it.
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    30DS is a good core workout IMO. It's tightening my stomach muscles up a lot.

Umm, as for Calisthenics...Mainly the reason it doesn't "burn so much" is because it's technically a strength workout. And burning calories with strength training is a lot different then cardio. Cardio is pretty straight forward. Strength has a lot more to calculate like, how much weight, how fast, how many, how much time between each push up exactly, etc. etc. Plus you burn weight after strength training as your muscles repair/grow. So, most Fitness websites cannot accurately track calories burnt by strength. Unless you were exact on every calculation & didn't cheat yourself you won't get the right number. And it's better to say less than too much. Then you won't eat your deficit, and start gaining weight & give MFP a bad rap for not losing the weight because of bad calculations. Ya know?

ANYWHO! Get a HRM for strength, it will give you a more accurate readings on calories burned.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I love variety - swimming, jogging outside, treadmill, arc trainer, strength (on machines, mostly core and back), biking, horseback riding, tai chi. And when I have the chance SUP - great for the core and balance.

The last two are more for the soul, but you do also strengthen your muscles.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    isometrics
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Lifting all the things.

Or if I want to get outside I'll walk or cycle.
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well at the moment I'm just loving my running, getting out in the sunshine with music in my ears and the wind in my hair, is bliss. I also do a zumba class which again I love. I think doing things that you really enjoy is half the battle. Not sure how I will feel about running when the wind, rain and snow arrive though, may have to invest in a tred mill then :laugh:
  • lottogirly
    Options
    I definitely need one of those HRM's. I'm afraid it'll freak me out when the thing goes ballistic when I'm exercising though. Heck mine gets high at the dr's office. It's just where I'm out of shape, I'm sure. Have to do baby steps.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Elliptical trainer targeting a heart rate of 140. If I have an injury will use the rowing machine instead. Splits for strength. Workouts are split between adductors/abductors, upper body push, upper body pull, legs. Will take 15 minutes to do one or two muscle groups after cardio a couple times a week.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cycling - I love it and you can get mega burns if you want to.
    Might be a good alternative to running for you as you can control your heartrate easier???

At least I can anyway - speaking as a cr@p distance runner.... :wink:

Edited to add....
    Core exercise - I use a gym balls for crunches, sit-ups, stretches, planks etc etc....
  • lottogirly
    Options
    What are SUP and isometrics ? Hate to sound dumb but just don't know what you're talking about.

And those runs will feel just as great during winter cuz I think running is addictive. I use to get runners high back in the day. It just made me feel good all day long.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Anything outside, inline skating, bicycling, hiking, as long the weather plays along.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I do a variety. Every week I do a slightly different combination of zumba, boxercise, aerobics, step aerobics, LBT, spinning, core stability class, PT sessions and a combination of weights and cardio in the gym.

I just do what I can fit round my husband's shifts (so he can watch the kids) and work. I usually do 5-6 hours a week. Plus lots of walks with my kids.
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the calesthenics logging. Though half the things on MFP aren't really that accurate anyway.
    TBH, a lot of weight training is verging on high calesthenics and Interval training anyway. As soon as your heart rate is up your burning more. Plus look at body builders, less cardio more weight training. Anyway, I would say log it as calesthenics and just know yourself that you're probably doing MORE work than it says and then be pleasantly surprised :)

My personal favourites at the moment Barre workouts (Ballet) and in terms of weight training, Prisoner squats or weighted squats. More muscle = more calories burnt, so build those thighs!!!!
  • lottogirly
    Options
    Yeah I see a lot if my friends here on MFP doing cycling and burning lots of calories. I'm considering that seriously for those days I can't get out and walk. But for core strengthening I would love to hear everyone chime in on that.
  • ShadeyC
    Options
    Oh and core I like the good old fashioned ones like weighted twists and planks. Don't forget your back is part of that too!
  • ShadeyC
    Options
    And side burpees. They're evil, but you definitely feel them...
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    squats, deadlifts and planks
  • shannonmarie752487
    Options
    I just learned about circuit training and running intervals on nerdfitness.com. So those plus yoga are my three right now. I see these bikers posting and that reminds me to get my bike out of the barn!