Are women's muscles more relaxed than men's?

Options
2»

Replies

• bmb42
    bmb42 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Different females lose their period at different body fat percentages. From experience, I lost mine around 14%.
  • Privatepolicy
    Privatepolicy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    It's a body fat% thing. Women naturally have more. To get your own body fat low enough to show the six-pack abs and such, you lose your period. Maybe that's an incentive.

what? do you seriously believe this

Find pics of a 4% bf woman. Find that woman. Ask about her period. I'm happy to be demonstrated wrong on this, but please realize that it's the statements of 4% bf women who led me to repeat their statements.

You are right..to a point. But 4% bf is a crazy low number, so I don't think many of us don't have to worry about that:-)
    Also, losing your period is not necessarily a bad thing:-)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    A woman with 4% body fat has way more things to worry about other than her period. For example, death.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It's a body fat% thing. Women naturally have more. To get your own body fat low enough to show the six-pack abs and such, you lose your period. Maybe that's an incentive.

I've never lost my period, even when competing in bodybuilding competitions. I didn't starve myself and over exercise. Most women with adequate muscle should see their abs around 18%.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Find pics of a 4% bf woman. Find that woman. Ask about her period. I'm happy to be demonstrated wrong on this, but please realize that it's the statements of 4% bf women who led me to repeat their statements.

Women need 10-13% (some sites say 13-17%) fat as essential fat. If you're less than that, you're risking permanent infertility, bone loss, and hormonal damage. Yes, you'll lose your period also. But there are more side effects and risks than that.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy at 20%!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options

The question that comes to mind is, why do you care??? However, I realize I don't care what the answer is. I just find it odd that you felt the need to even bring this up.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    A woman with 4% body fat has way more things to worry about other than her period. For example, death.

Very true. I'd be interested to meet a woman who achieved 4% without steroids who wasn't on the verge of her body shutting down. Most competitors can't get that low naturally, I've only seen anorexics reach that and they weren't worried about having enough muscle for a 6 pack.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    When I work out my muscles look quite good but as soon as I stop the areas just look soft and fat again - is it just men that look muscly all the time or can women achieve that too? My bf is still 23.5 but I'm 5'10 so don't want to go much lower.

@kdp2015 you may want to consider recomposition. Essentially maintaining your current weight while following a progressive lifting routine. It will help you add muscle and drop fat. I'm 5'9" and had higher than average lean mass, but the first time I had visible abs I felt the rest of me looked like a skeleton. Recomposition is a slow process. It is a better choice mentally for many people.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    When I work out my muscles look quite good but as soon as I stop the areas just look soft and fat again - is it just men that look muscly all the time or can women achieve that too? My bf is still 23.5 but I'm 5'10 so don't want to go much lower.

@kdp2015 you may want to consider recomposition. Essentially maintaining your current weight while following a progressive lifting routine. It will help you add muscle and drop fat. I'm 5'9" and had higher than average lean mass, but the first time I had visible abs I felt the rest of me looked like a skeleton. Recomposition is a slow process. It is a better choice mentally for many people.
    Thanks for this - the one time in my life I've had a flat stomach my ribs all stuck out so that does worry me. I'm happy to take a lot longer if I can end up looking fit rather than skinny!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Thanks for this - the one time in my life I've had a flat stomach my ribs all stuck out so that does worry me. I'm happy to take a lot longer if I can end up looking fit rather than skinny!

My ribs stick out despite having lots of muscle. It's just product of a wide rib cage. I understand the fit versus skinny look concern. You will see yourself as skinny even if you are fit, especially if you've lost significant weight (even 30 pounds can look dramatic in the mirror). Don't freak out if your face looks gaunt to you for a bit, your brain will adjust.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

it's certainly not an effing incentive.

#mentalkingaboutshittheydon'tknowabout

go ahead- and keep mansplaining my body to me.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that men look more pumped longer than women? I imagine men look more "muscley" because they typically have more...umm...muscle? The bigger the muscles, the more they show, regardless of body fat. Cut more body fat off and the bigger the muscles look. Women's muscles aren't more naturally relaxed than a man's, usage of said muscle (or lack of usage) determines how tense those muscles are at any given moment. However, a larger amount of blood and water in the muscles may make them appear fuller.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    One trick to looking more "firm" all the time is creatine. I tend to look fuller when I use creatine.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Essential body fat for a woman is around 10-12%. To drop lower than that would be harmful to health, if it's even possible - the brain and body organs need a certain level of fat in the body to work correctly. We aren't men. I look very lean at 20% bodyfat, a man would not.

So first, find a 4% bodyfat woman who is alive, active and healthy.

Also, @Privatepolicy - amenorrhea due to not having enough body fat is bad news. It is, necessarily, a bad thing.

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options

What the what??
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

it's certainly not an effing incentive.

#mentalkingaboutshittheydon'tknowabout

go ahead- and keep mansplaining my body to me.

Between your uterus falling out and the loss of your period you women folk should stay out of the gym and let us men do the lifting.

Hey I have to do something to free up the squat rack so I can bench in there. No women = less competition for the rack.